Your most hated commentator lines

Crow

May 19, 2014
Every goal call by the Washington announcer.

“annnnnnndddddddd itss twwoooooooooooo onneee washhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiinnnngggggttttoooooooooooooon”

shut up already. I don’t even mind the caps on top of it. I just hate that guy’s goal calls

Reactions: Pantokrator

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Fixed it for ya. :sarcasm:

Also kind of related to this, what's the difference between "good play" and "good hockey play"?
OR... "Plays hockey the right way"

What is the wrong way? If they play hockey the wrong way, why would they be in the NHL?

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
Pierre Houde is to emotionally involved with the team and gives his opinion way to much.

Pierre, you are a commenter, please leave you're inexperienced and unfounded opinions at the door and just describe the game. You have not played the game so just stfu

beedee

Jan 13, 2014
Alex Faust (L.A. KINGS tv PxP)
• Active stick
• Low event game
• Sauces the puck (when it clearly wasn't a saucer pass)
• [insert players name] turned out by Jonathan Quick (after a shot)

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Sabres color Rob Ray has the opposite of overused sayings. He has trouble saying words and names consistently sober and when he drinks at the games it's hilariously evident :laugh:

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
“If you wrote this as a script and took it to Hollywood they’d throw it out and say it’s too unbelievable”.

Im pretty sure a 5 seed team winning a cup isn’t exactly the most unbelievable thing they’ve ever read.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
How about the reverse? Favourites?

I always loved Foster Hewett saying "he shoots, he scores", partly because he invented it, and partly because he always said it with enthusiasm, regardless of who scored.

My all time favourite call was by Tom Cheek, when Joe Carter hit the world series winning home run in 1993: "touch 'em all, Joe, you'll never hit a bigger home run in your life".

Reactions: Suntouchable13

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
After a goal is scored, "No chance for the goalie." There is always a chance. That's what great saves are.
Agree. This was way over-used by ex-goalie John Garrett in the late 80s and through the 90s (Garrett was perhaps judging shots by his own standards, as he was one of the worst goalies ever). Every single puck that went in the net -- like, a flip shot from the blue line -- and Garrett would come up with some excuse for the goalie and say, "No chance for _______". Well, duh! They always had a chance.

This phrase seemed to go away for years, but I've noticed it making a comeback. Which is regrettable.

Last edited:

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Looooool i literally heard this in my head. So annoying.
Ugh, no doubt. Mike Lange has more stupid lines than anyone. None of them make sense. "Call Arnold Slick from Turtle Creek" what? "Shave my face with a rusty razor." What does that have to do with anything hockey related? You could put any line after a Pens goal and it is equally meaningless. "Gouge my eyes out with chopsticks, here comes Santa!" or "Beat my uncle with a rubber hose, the cat's lickin' the doorbell!" His list of comments is plain stupid. There needs to be an entire thread of equally stupid possible Mike Langerisms.

Reactions: nofehr and tenken00

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Every goal call by the Washington announcer.

“annnnnnndddddddd itss twwoooooooooooo onneee washhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiinnnngggggttttoooooooooooooon”

shut up already. I don’t even mind the caps on top of it. I just hate that guy’s goal calls

I agree. The worst is when the game is over. Why does it take him 5 minutes to say his stupid line "Good Morning! Good afternoon! Good night!"

Reactions: Crow

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Ugh, no doubt. Mike Lange has more stupid lines than anyone. None of them make sense. "Call Arnold Slick from Turtle Creek" what? "Shave my face with a rusty razor." What does that have to do with anything hockey related? You could put any line after a Pens goal and it is equally meaningless. "Gouge my eyes out with chopsticks, here comes Santa!" or "Beat my uncle with a rubber hose, the cat's lickin' the doorbell!" His list of comments is plain stupid. There needs to be an entire thread of equally stupid possible Mike Langerisms.

The cat's licking the doorbell is a personal favorite

Last edited:
Reactions: Pantokrator

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I hate the Tampa announcer anytime Tampa scores. He goes from being able to call a game clearly to a bunch of gibberish. "And Stamkos comes down the right side shot and ..... blahsdcroompaaa! BLCAHGSHHHSD!!! TLHOACMMMSH! I grew up listening to announcers being able to call the players' goals clearly - I feel like this guy thinks the louder he yells unintelligibly the better of an announcer he is.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I also can't stand the San Jose announcer when SJ scores ; 'Scar!' It's SCORE, not SCAR. SCOOOOOORE. Say it with me!

Sorry for all the announcer hate. I have a lot of hatred in me. This apparently has been brewing in me for some time...

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
How about the reverse? Favourites?

I always loved Foster Hewett saying "he shoots, he scores", partly because he invented it, and partly because he always said it with enthusiasm, regardless of who scored.

My all time favourite call was by Tom Cheek, when Joe Carter hit the world series winning home run in 1993: "touch 'em all, Joe, you'll never hit a bigger home run in your life".
Sache's by Doc

Loved it.

Not even sure how to spell it

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Jack Edwards is obviously the worst broadcaster in world history, but we all know that. Paul Romanuk was close to being as bad as Edwards, for very different reasons, but he finally got axed. (Romanuk, weirdly, got way worse as he got older. He wasn't nearly as bad back in the mid-90s.)

After those two's Gold and Silver medals, I would like to give the Bronze to Colorado's utterly inept play-by-play commentator, ex-NHLer Peter McNab (who, incidentally, is currently receiving cancer treatment, so wish him well, but apparently he's going to be fine). McNab nearly wets himself every time an Avalanche star scores a goal, and then fumbles for basic English words to describe his amazement at the play. And when he finally stops grunting and fumbling for words, he then states inanities. Just horrible.

Runners-up:
-- The Washington color commentator's comments are good, but why the hell does he speak so slowly? Was he lobotomized?
-- Craig Simpson: I watched Simpson help Edmonton win two Stanley Cups. He was a great player and a warrior, so he'll always get a free cup of coffee from me.... unless he keeps broadcasting. He is about as exciting a color (with no color) commentator as the process of watching paint dry. And please stop saying "How about....?!" after every single play.
-- Sorry to pick on Colorado again, but their play-by-play guy is awful too (just not as awful as Peter McNab). Sounds like he's suicidal every time the opposition scores.

I feel like I should dislike Greg Millen more than I do, but there's something kind of charming about his Your-Great-Uncle-commenting-at-Tim-Horton's style of commentating.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
*a star player makes a play which is quite nice but something you see like at least once every couple of games*

"He's one of the very few players in the league who can pull that off!"

Remember at least a few instances of Engblom saying this but I'm sure he's not the only one.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I hate the Tampa announcer anytime Tampa scores. He goes from being able to call a game clearly to a bunch of gibberish. "And Stamkos comes down the right side shot and ..... blahsdcroompaaa! BLCAHGSHHHSD!!! TLHOACMMMSH! I grew up listening to announcers being able to call the players' goals clearly - I feel like this guy thinks the louder he yells unintelligibly the better of an announcer he is.
The radio guy?

Mishkin? Legend.

Our TV guy retired and was absolutely amazing and is in the HOF.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Eddie Olcyzk "...stop it right there, see how he turns his top hand over there, partner..." like he's explaining something complicated or technical rather than a simple natural roll of the wrist every time he analyzes a goal where a player made a stickhandle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad