Your most hated commentator lines

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
It’s not a line, but Eddie Olczyk has games where all he does is roll back tape and point out all the wrong decisions made on every play. As if watching a play not result in a goal and saying “he should have done (x)” shows any sort of real knowledge.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
"The goalie had no chance"

But in reality, goalie had a chance.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Official "missed" that call on a clear penalty right in front of the refs.

Wasn't missed, they just didn't call it. Don't know why they need to pretend that it's an innocent mistake.

Devils 3silverones

Sep 13, 2017
The constant full name call. John Micheal Lyles, Douggie Hamilton. Pierre Luc Dubois, amoung others.
We know who has the puck. Its not as if there are a whole bunch of Lyles on the ice at once..

Last names work for every other player.. Why all given names for some?

Reactions: More Cooley

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
SLAVIN HAS A GREAT STICK
80r7GMi.gif

Reactions: Suntouchable13

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Always irks me when they say tic tac toe.

Especially when the Sedins used to play. The commentators annoying voice didn't help. Pretty sure it was Jim Hughson.

Prometheus

May 14, 2018
There were a few commentator who would say, referring to a player in a slump, "he needs to get untracked."

The corect phrase is "get on track" not "get untracked" If you are a train, then whatever your situation is, getting untracked will make it worse.

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
The constant full name call. John Micheal Lyles, Douggie Hamilton. Pierre Luc Dubois, amoung others.
We know who has the puck. Its not as if there are a whole bunch of Lyles on the ice at once..

Last names work for every other player.. Why all given names for some?

I think some names just sound better in full. Announcing is also interesting because you need to keep up with what’s going on but also can’t have tons of dead silence. I think sometimes they’ll use full names when a defenseman is gathering the puck to start a play with no forechecker, or a player is skating with room or a play is developing slowly to fill in the time better. It’s a lot more rare when there’s a bunch of action going on.

Last edited:

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
"Circles the wagons" when talking about a player skating around the perimeter of the zone. The phrase means the opposite of that. The defense collapsing around the net could be said to have circled the wagons, but not the attacking player with the puck.

D1az

Oct 29, 2009
Finland
And up until this moment I thought that the line I hated the most was spelled "Holy maccara"...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad