Your most hated commentator lines

Strexvale

Mar 8, 2007
East Aurora, NY
"This team's going left to right or right to left." If it's on TV I can see it, if it's on the radio I'd rather visualize myself in the arena and I have my own visual orientation for that. Couching it with "my right" or "my left" is fine though for some reason.
"*Insert team here* is wearing the white/dark jerseys." Again, if it's on TV I can see it, if it's on radio I don't care. My imagination will do some of the work.
Any reference to a players junior team or college team or draft position during Play by Play. I truly don't care during that part of the game, call the game. Use the color or the intermission or whatever to talk about the players past. It ends up being irrelevant at best and distracting at worst. My enjoyment of a game has never once improved from knowing that a player played bantam in 'pick a place.'
Picking one fact and hammering it over and over again. Like, great this player hasn't scored in x games. I didn't need to hear about it every time he picks up the puck.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
"This team's going left to right or right to left." If it's on TV I can see it, if it's on the radio I'd rather visualize myself in the arena and I have my own visual orientation for that. Couching it with "my right" or "my left" is fine though for some reason.
"*Insert team here* is wearing the white/dark jerseys." Again, if it's on TV I can see it, if it's on radio I don't care. My imagination will do some of the work.
Any reference to a players junior team or college team or draft position during Play by Play. I truly don't care during that part of the game, call the game. Use the color or the intermission or whatever to talk about the players past. It ends up being irrelevant at best and distracting at worst. My enjoyment of a game has never once improved from knowing that a player played bantam in 'pick a place.'
Picking one fact and hammering it over and over again. Like, great this player hasn't scored in x games. I didn't need to hear about it every time he picks up the puck.

I understand what you mean. I hated it whenever Chris Drury played because every game they'd have to mention how he won the Little League World series with Trumbull Connecticut when he was 13. great. Thanks. I only heard that last game. And the game before....

Reactions: Strexvale

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
I hate the Tampa announcer anytime Tampa scores. He goes from being able to call a game clearly to a bunch of gibberish. "And Stamkos comes down the right side shot and ..... blahsdcroompaaa! BLCAHGSHHHSD!!! TLHOACMMMSH! I grew up listening to announcers being able to call the players' goals clearly - I feel like this guy thinks the louder he yells unintelligibly the better of an announcer he is.

Embarrassing. There's a difference between being passionate and then sounding like a mental patient.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Everytime a comentator is talking about a player from the other team and says : Well this player looks good , of course we dont know him much since our viewers dont watch team X a lot.

CheerstoBeers

Jan 28, 2008
Jack Edwards has so many
- fungo’s it down the ice
- it’s rockem sockem robots!
- any mention of layers

There was actually a bingo game at one point with all of these that was pretty funny

The Ebb and flow. Ive heard him use this multiple times a game

Reactions: Dicky113

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
"Holy mackinow!"

What the f*** does that even mean? Absolutely atrocious.

Also, every word out of Doc Emricks mouth is painful.

I don't know what it means but I think he lifted it from the Ti-Cats Oskee Wee Wee chant

“Oskee wee wee! Oskee wa wa! Holy mackinaw! Tigers! Eat ‘em raw!”

Reactions: sabremike

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
One phrase that irks me every time is "they wanted it more" Used by broadcasters, reporters and sometimes even coaches but it sure annoys me

Reactions: I am not exposed

Shinjuku Calling

Jun 20, 2017
Holy Mackinaw
Holy Jumpin

Any stupid canned line/catchphrase they have in their pocket just waiting to use.

Also just about everything Doc Emerick ever said.
"HITDAPIPEWITDASHAWW"

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
I can’t stand when commentators call players ‘the young rookie’. It’s like calling McDavid the fast speedster or Chara the tall 6 foot 9 guy

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Catchphrases are the crutch of poor commentators or the result of poor production/directing.

Things said semi-often are ok, but gimmicks are lame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad