Your most hated commentator lines

Ducati Boy

HF Original
Feb 7, 2018
It’s not a catchphrase, but if you watch nhl.tv you’ll often see the save highlight reel during the ads. And then you’ll hear:
‘A catapulting save, located with the eyes!’

I mean, how do you think goalies locate the puck - GPS? Sonar? And how is rotating your legs in the air even remotely ‘catapulting’?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Not quite the same, but TSN has this stupid segment in the first intermission they call "The Quiz". Except that it isn't a quiz at all.

A quiz is where you ask a question with a specific answer, and see if the person being quizzed knows the answer.

This segment is just an opinion panel, with a simple question and a few basic choices. In fact, having watched quite a number of them and noticing that the panelists never all pick the same answer, and usually pick three different ones, I suspect it's planned (scripted) that way.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Stive Morgan

Fatso forgot to shake my hand
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
How any time a goalie over 6'3 makes a pad save, the colour commentator has to gush about how "his legs are so long!"

Really? Tall people have long legs? Thank you for this unique insight!

DeysArena

Oct 5, 2020
"Was that [charging, boarding, slashing] play intentional?"
"Yes, it was. That's why I'm asking the league to add $250,000 to my fine and three games to my suspension."

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Any talk of momentum.

There's no such thing as momentum in sports. It's a crutch too many announcers lean on.

Disagree, I think there are times you see clear momentum where a defending team just can’t catch their breath. That said, with a team like the Sabres it’s not translating into goals often enough and they’re one bobble away from a breakdown. Teams still control the play for 5 minute spurts though.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
The misuse of "unanswered points/goals" in any sport can frig off.

Team X leads 4-1
Team Y scores 3 "unanswered" goals to tie the game.
Team X scores to win 5-4, they still refer to the 3 consecutive goals as "unanswered"

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Waffleboarded

Knocked away with the waffle (just heard this recently)

Pie slice

Shuffleboards

Uh, "waffleboard" is an older nickname for the blocker, because the older-style blockers kind of looked like a waffle.

gnovUKw.png

Reactions: AD Skinner

WordsOfWisdom

Nov 25, 2021
Craig Simpson's butchering of the English language with his "difference-maker" line. It's "difference". Just "difference". Example: "Player A was the difference".

It's a line that has been stolen from Jim Ross of the WWE during an era where wrestling was the hottest show on TSN every Monday night. JR would constantly belt out that broken English line and our sportscasters up north picked up on it and carried it forward.

Craig Simpson in general is grating on the nerves. He never stops babbling during a play stoppage. It's one big run-on sentence with no breaths in between. I wish I could mute him and listen to silence for 30 seconds until the next puck drop. Craig Simpson is the master at telling people the obvious. If you were standing in water, he would telling you second by second how wet you were getting.

Reactions: tunnelvision

Oryxo

Oct 24, 2007
How Félix Séguin on TVA Sport needs to specify a player is from Québec every time they do anything during play.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Hockey is too fast for good play by play. If they'd shut it every once in a while, I wouldn't mind but the audience apparently needs the bang boom bang. Talk talk, highlight, superlative, fill in the blank time, wow another highlight. Artificial excitement. I do sorta like Carolin's crew. They keep it low, at least when I watch. Granted, I don't watch NHL as much as most here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad