Value of: your best offer for Evan Bouchard and Ryan McLeod (with a few stipulations)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Fleury is 38. Tim Thomas was 40+. Goaltenders it’s all about athleticism as the position is so different than declines forwards or D men see.

This is why we see forwards decline hard at a median age of 32.6 years where as Dmen decline at a median of 34.4 years. Goalies have a wide spread. Some they drop off as early as age 32 where as others can maintain strong play to literally age 40.
Talbot wasn’t even good last year though. Nowhere near as good as skinner so I’m not sure how that helps your point.

thehoffs

Jul 4, 2023
The Oilers have more than 5.6 million in cap, you need to look at the full roster when looking at capfriendly because they will add some roster players that likely won't be on the final roster.

Currently Nimelenian is on the Oilers full time roster, that's 762k that won't be on the roster when Bouchard is signed, so it's 6.3 million actually ... that may not seem like a big deal but it is in this case.

It means the Oilers can sign Bouchard to a 4x2 deal and McLeod to like 2x2 or something without too much fuss. They will have to run a 21 man roster for a time in that case but they already did that last year.
Really it doesn’t mean that at all.

Teams never want to go into the season with next to no salary cap space. At a minimum you want 2-3m sitting there affording you the ability of making moves.

If Edmonton is smart they find a way out of Nurse and/or Campells contracts as both are vastly overpaid for what they bring.

They are going to need to find cap room either way. The big problems aren’t 2023-2024.

2025-2026. Edmonton will need to decide if they first, can afford Draisatl at the $13-14m he is going to command and second, where does the 5-6m come from to give him that raise?

Are they relying solely on the salary cap escalator? There is nothing major coming off the books in the next 2 seasons.

2026-2027. We assume the salary cap escalator is used in the following two years we will have a cap around the $92.05m.

It also means McDavid will be seeking a $16-18m salary.

Again same season Edmonton has nothing considerable coming off the books and if doing a 4x2 for Bouchard you are either negotiating a long term deal for Bouchard at the same time as Draisatl or Same time as McDavid.

I can tell you right now Bouchard continues to put up points which is all he’s good for he’s going to be looking for 7.5-8.5m on a 7-8 year deal.

It’s so difficult to get Edmonton fans to realize this but you are going to have two players on a single line getting paid north of $30,000,000 which is almost 1/3 the cap.

The other player who is a UFA when McDavid comes up is Stuart Skinner who’s only making $2.6m.

He will command at least 6m if not 7m+ if he continues to develop.

Edmonton needs to immediately pay whatever the price is San Jose is asking to trade Nurse for Karlsson. Even if this is adding a 2024 1st and a prospect like Bourgault.

Some reason Edmonton fanbois think Nurse is a 1/2 D man. He’s not. Most people with hockey knowledge will tell you his ceiling is a 3/4. Why the hell he was given 7 years at 9.25m at the same time when both McDavid and Draisatl were due substantial raises just makes no sense.

So again. I’m saying it right now.

The team needs to shed Nurse and Campbell immediately even if you have no 1st pick in either 2024 or 2025. You aim for players with a max 2 maybe 3 years not 4+ since right now you’re praying the cap will go up by 7-8% where as the escalator itself the max increase is 5%.

Would love oilers fans to tell us how they get out of this mess.

Draisatl isn’t taking 10-12m when he’s the second best player in the NHL and McDavid won’t take 13-14 when he’s the best.

This is a prob the league has and they can correct it by giving each team a franchise tag where that player can make a maximum of 20% of the salary cap and say the franchise salary only accounts for 50% of its value against the cap.

So McDavid at 18m would only cost you 9m.

Most teams the amount wouldn’t be that drastic maybe 5-6-7m but teams that need the flexibility the current cap is extremely punitive to guys like McDavid.

Not only is he making way less than he’s worth right now. He’s losing a massive amount in endorsements by not being in a market like LA Toronto or NYC.

I feel for Edmonton as Holland has them really bloody hamstrung. The RNH deal was genius at $5.125m but the Evander Kane deal was non-sensical.

It’s believed that SanJose paid out close to $2m per year to settle the grievance between Kane and the Sharks. So why does Holland give Kane a $5.125m per deal when he literally had one single team in the NHL offering him a contract?

Kane is literally a deadbeat who should be fortunate any team gave him a contract. I felt so bad for McDavid having to say all these good things about Kane where as the reports were clear. Not paying spousal or child support, including diapers of all things. His wife showing clear signs of domestic abuse.

For San Jose to terminate the contract after paying up to get him it’s a clear warning to others to stay away. It’s like a rattle snake rattling its tail. It’s doing so to tell you F off not saying come on in I’m friendly.

Fact is a player like Kane putting up 28 points in 41 games this past season gives belief Foegele could easily replace him without all the extra crap.

All I’m saying Edmonton is in a bad spot money wise and every deal even doing a 4x2 could kill your long term aspirations.

If it’s me?

I’m doing this.

To CBJ 2025 1st round pick + Campbell

To Edmonton Future Considerations

With the 5M in savings $762,500 is going to pay Pickard to be your backup.

Instead of a 4x2 for Bouchard I’m doing a 6x6 with each year looking like;

4m
4m
5m
7m
7m
8m

I think Bouchard camp takes that versus the Oilers having to risk paying him 7-8m.

The oilers must be proactive to make this work or you will have to say goodbye to Draisatl. Who knows maybe that’s the play.

Replace a 13-14m Draisatl with a player who could be 90% of Draisatl which I’m convinced at least 30% of Draisatls production is playing with McDavid anyways.

Either way the time is now to get ahead of it. You don’t just keep putting off your financial goals year after year after year.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Teams never want to go into the season with next to no salary cap space. At a minimum you want 2-3m sitting there affording you the ability of making moves.

If Edmonton is smart they find a way out of Nurse and/or Campells contracts as both are vastly overpaid for what they bring.

They are going to need to find cap room either way. The big problems aren’t 2023-2024.

2025-2026. Edmonton will need to decide if they first, can afford Draisatl at the $13-14m he is going to command and second, where does the 5-6m come from to give him that raise?

Are they relying solely on the salary cap escalator? There is nothing major coming off the books in the next 2 seasons.

2026-2027. We assume the salary cap escalator is used in the following two years we will have a cap around the $92.05m.

Again same season Edmonton has nothing considerable coming off the books and if doing a 4x2 for Bouchard you are either negotiating a long term deal for Bouchard at the same time as Draisatl or Same time as McDavid.

I can tell you right now Bouchard continues to put up points which is all he’s good for he’s going to be looking for 7.5-8.5m on a 7-8 year deal.

It’s so difficult to get Edmonton fans to realize this but you are going to have two players on a single line getting paid north of $30,000,000 which is almost 1/3 the cap.

The other player who is a UFA when McDavid comes up is Stuart Skinner who’s only making $2.6m.

Edmonton needs to immediately pay whatever the price is San Jose is asking to trade Nurse for Karlsson. Even if this is adding a 2024 1st and a prospect like Bourgault.

Some reason Edmonton fanbois think Nurse is a 1/2 D man. He’s not. Most people with hockey knowledge will tell you his ceiling is a 3/4. Why the hell he was given 7 years at 9.25m at the same time when both McDavid and Draisatl were due substantial raises just makes no sense.

The team needs to shed Nurse and Campbell immediately even if you have no 1st pick in either 2024 or 2025. You aim for players with a max 2 maybe 3 years not 4+ since right now you’re praying the cap will go up by 7-8% where as the escalator itself the max increase is 5%.

Draisatl isn’t taking 10-12m when he’s the second best player in the NHL and McDavid won’t take 13-14 when he’s the best.

This is a prob the league has and they can correct it by giving each team a franchise tag where that player can make a maximum of 20% of the salary cap and say the franchise salary only accounts for 50% of its value against the cap.

Most teams the amount wouldn’t be that drastic maybe 5-6-7m but teams that need the flexibility the current cap is extremely punitive to guys like McDavid.

Not only is he making way less than he’s worth right now. He’s losing a massive amount in endorsements by not being in a market like LA Toronto or NYC.

I feel for Edmonton as Holland has them really bloody hamstrung. The RNH deal was genius at $5.125m but the Evander Kane deal was non-sensical.

It’s believed that SanJose paid out close to $2m per year to settle the grievance between Kane and the Sharks. So why does Holland give Kane a $5.125m per deal when he literally had one single team in the NHL offering him a contract?

Kane is literally a deadbeat who should be fortunate any team gave him a contract. I felt so bad for McDavid having to say all these good things about Kane where as the reports were clear. Not paying spousal or child support, including diapers of all things. His wife showing clear signs of domestic abuse.

For San Jose to terminate the contract after paying up to get him it’s a clear warning to others to stay away. It’s like a rattle snake rattling its tail. It’s doing so to tell you F off not saying come on in I’m friendly.

Fact is a player like Kane putting up 28 points in 41 games this past season gives belief Foegele could easily replace him without all the extra crap.

All I’m saying Edmonton is in a bad spot money wise and every deal even doing a 4x2 could kill your long term aspirations.

If it’s me?

I’m doing this.

4m
4m
5m
7m
7m
8m

I think Bouchard camp takes that versus the Oilers having to risk paying him 7-8m.

The oilers must be proactive to make this work or you will have to say goodbye to Draisatl. Who knows maybe that’s the play.

Replace a 13-14m Draisatl with a player who could be 90% of Draisatl which I’m convinced at least 30% of Draisatls production is playing with McDavid anyways.

Either way the time is now to get ahead of it. You don’t just keep putting off your financial goals year after year after year.

Congrats on writing a novel that has nothing to say. Draisaitl is going nowhere. Every good team has cap issues they have to navigate, it's part of being a good team (you have to pay players), there's no top end team with like 10 million of cap space.

Last edited:

thehoffs

Jul 4, 2023
Congrats on writing a novel that has nothing to say. Draisaitl is going nowhere. Every good team has cap issues they have to navigate, it's part of being a good team (you have to pay players), there's no top end team with like 10 million of cap space.
They don’t need 10m. All you need to ensure is 2-3m maybe 3-4m if you want to acquire legit star players at the TDL.

The problem in Edmonton is they didn’t even look at the years Draisatl and McDavid were going UFA.

You literally have nothing coming off the books to Sign Draisatl.

I don’t see how you keep Draisatl without getting rid of One of Kane, Campbell, Nurse, etc with needed long term deals at a minimum for Bouchard Skinner McDavid and Draisatl which FYI are your core 4.

I’d trade nurse for a box of pucks if any team takes that contract.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
They don’t need 10m. All you need to ensure is 2-3m maybe 3-4m if you want to acquire legit star players at the TDL.

The problem in Edmonton is they didn’t even look at the years Draisatl and McDavid were going UFA.

I don’t see how you keep Draisatl without getting rid of One of Kane, Campbell, Nurse, etc with needed long term deals at a minimum for Bouchard Skinner McDavid and Draisatl which FYI are your core 4.

No one is taking Nurse even with a sweetener

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Well if you were the Oilers cap genius you make yourself out to be you'd probably know 1.9 million of dead cap (Neal buy out) comes off the Oilers books the year Draisaitl is due his raise so that will cover a not insignificant part of his raise, past that the Oilers can by then move Campbell or Kane or both who by then will be easier to move if they have to.

Kane's deal is pretty much structured for this, his NMC turns into a 16 team NTC in March 2025 ... which means the Oilers can move him to 16 teams if they need to move out salary ... right in time for Draisaitl's extension. That's not a coincidence.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I don't believe so. That's not remotely correct IMO.

One player is a prospect, not even a great one, and the other scores more than a point per game in the playoffs.
In three years time Mailloux may well be a force on the blue line. You don’t trade that type of potential for a mediocre skating defenceman whose statistics are inflated playing with game’s greatest player.

thehoffs

Jul 4, 2023
Well if you were the Oilers cap genius you make yourself out to be you'd probably know 1.9 million of dead cap (Neal buy out) comes off the Oilers books the year Draisaitl is due his raise so that will cover a not insignificant part of his raise, past that the Oilers can by then move Campbell or Kane or both who by then will be easier to move if they have to.

Kane's deal is pretty much structured for this, his NMC turns into a 16 team NTC in March 2025 ... which means the Oilers can move him to 16 teams if they need to move out salary ... right in time for Draisaitl's extension. That's not a coincidence.
Nobody is taking Evander Kane. Make it crystal clear on that. No other GM wants a player on their team who’s had a contract terminated and has a public image for domestic assault. The guy is an absolute parasite.

Dustin Byfuglien spoke his mind on a number of occasions and it was made well aware Kane wasn’t welcome in Winnipeg.

Kane will cost assets to move if not a buyout which is less than ideal.

Jack Campbell more of the same. He’s costing a 1st pick to move in any of the next 3 years.

Calgary set the price on what a 5-6m player costs to move for even a year and that was with a player who was not AHL quality like Campbell.

The problem Edmonton has is YOU CANT ADD to a team already incapable of getting to the finals against an expansion team I may add.

You think teams will just take your crap for free and those days are long gone.

As I said.

Tou trade Nurse with a 2024 -1st and Bourgault for Karlsson with 2-3m retained.

You trade a 2025 first to anyone willing to eat Jack Campbells cap hit.

Nurse is actually the worst contract on your team and likely one of the very worst in the league.

You just don’t pay a guy who at best is a 3 and most teams is a 4 over $9m freaking dollars.

Reactions: EdmFlyersfan

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Fleury is 38. Tim Thomas was 40+. Goaltenders it’s all about athleticism as the position is so different than declines forwards or D men see.

This is why we see forwards decline hard at a median age of 32.6 years where as Dmen decline at a median of 34.4 years. Goalies have a wide spread. Some they drop off as early as age 32 where as others can maintain strong play to literally age 40.
Talbot isn't Thomas. He also isn't Fleury. He's already had his decline.

If it’s me?

I’m doing this.

4m
4m
5m
7m
7m
8m

It's fantasy land I see. Nurse isn't being moved. Campbell can't be. Your takes on the Oilers are laughable.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Nobody is taking Evander Kane. Make it crystal clear on that. No other GM wants a player on their team who’s had a contract terminated and has a public image for domestic assault. The guy is an absolute parasite.

Dustin Byfuglien spoke his mind on a number of occasions and it was made well aware Kane wasn’t welcome in Winnipeg.

Kane will cost assets to move if not a buyout which is less than ideal.

Jack Campbell more of the same. He’s costing a 1st pick to move in any of the next 3 years.

Calgary set the price on what a 5-6m player costs to move for even a year and that was with a player who was not AHL quality like Campbell.

The problem Edmonton has is YOU CANT ADD to a team already incapable of getting to the finals against an expansion team I may add.

You think teams will just take your crap for free and those days are long gone.

As I said.

Tou trade Nurse with a 2024 -1st and Bourgault for Karlsson with 2-3m retained.

You trade a 2025 first to anyone willing to eat Jack Campbells cap hit.

Nurse is actually the worst contract on your team and likely one of the very worst in the league.

You just don’t pay a guy who at best is a 3 and most teams is a 4 over $9m freaking dollars.

None of that shit is happening. Kane will be on the last year of his deal in 2025-26, it's not going to cost a fortune if the Oilers have to move him for 1 year especially with the cap rising a ton in the next two years. His actual salary is only 4 million that year to boot.

Winnipeg's locker room being shit for years now makes me wonder if Buff and co. (Wheeler) weren't a large part of the problem there, rare to see a head coach be that disgusted with his team in a year end presser.

The 2 million in dead cap basically coming off the books already covers a large chunk of Draisaitl's raise, the cap rising a further $6-$8 million in the next couple of years will just further ensure he is signed.

If we have to move a late 1st to get rid of Campbell at some point, so be it.

Last edited:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Mcdavid is up in 3 seasons not two. Ekholm is up and Kulak so that’s just under 9 million right there. Kane’s 5 million is also up so there’s 14 million.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
My definition of a lot was the end of the season and playoffs when I was out in Alberta.

I don't watch much hockey
Yet you have a very strong opinion on most Oiler players/team, most of your posts are about our team.

I’m shocked your a Canucks fan though, truly shocked. Nothing else to do with your time than bash teams better than yours I guess.

thehoffs

Jul 4, 2023
Mcdavid is up in 3 seasons not two. Ekholm is up and Kulak so that’s just under 9 million right there. Kane’s 5 million is also up so there’s 14 million.
Draisatl is 2 years. His salary will jump to 13-14m.

McDavid is in 3 years. His salary is expected to fall closer to 18m but in the 16-18m range.

Add to this Skinner is going to come in at $7m to $8m with any level of success and Bouchard unless locked up right is costing $7.5m to $8.5m as well.

I also guarantee Edmonton has next to no choice but to try to extend Elohim as he is your only solid 2-way D.

I will anticipate his salary to go from $6m to maybe $4-5m as at age 36 it’s still likely he finds a 2y/8-9m deal.

You also keep forgetting the only way to replace these big contracts is either to draft and develop solid young players, squire them through free agency or somehow find a GM as wacky as Conroy or Treliving.

It’s not going to be easy and already I doubt Edmonton can keep both Draisatl and McDavid.

I’m actually relatively certain McDavid right now is 50/50 on re-signing. He’s missing out on major endorsements playing in the Edmonton market.

• Haha
Reactions: McShogun99

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

McDavid is in 3 years. His salary is expected to fall closer to 18m but in the 16-18m range.

Add to this Skinner is going to come in at $7m to $8m with any level of success and Bouchard unless locked up right is costing $7.5m to $8.5m as well.

I also guarantee Edmonton has next to no choice but to try to extend Elohim as he is your only solid 2-way D.

I will anticipate his salary to go from $6m to maybe $4-5m as at age 36 it’s still likely he finds a 2y/8-9m deal.

You also keep forgetting the only way to replace these big contracts is either to draft and develop solid young players, squire them through free agency or somehow find a GM as wacky as Conroy or Treliving.

It’s not going to be easy and already I doubt Edmonton can keep both Draisatl and McDavid.

I’m actually relatively certain McDavid right now is 50/50 on re-signing. He’s missing out on major endorsements playing in the Edmonton market.
What is your source on any of these projected numbers?

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

McDavid isn't missing out on endorsements. Do you watch media?

You know so much. It's incredible. You know what the players salaries will be in advance. It's kind of like magic.

You keep up with the Oilers so well I expect one day soon you'll even learn how to spell Draisaitl.

thehoffs

Jul 4, 2023
No one is taking Nurse even with a sweetener
Edmonton and SanJose are the only logical fit for EK and Nurse can play 3/4 minutes. It’s the only way SJ is getting positive assets back for EK.

I could see Edmonton Including their 2024 1st and Bourgault.

If I were SJ and Edmonton though go for broke.

To SJ. Nurse Campbell Bourgault 2024 1st with a conditional 2025 1st/2nd

To Edm. Erik Karlsson @ $8.5m

Condition on the 2025 1st round pick. Edmonton makes either the Stanley cup final or wins the Stanley Cup they receive the 1st for winning the cup and the 2nd if they make the cup finals.

This deal only provides Edmonton 5M in todays dollars as the cap savings are 100% Campbell. The difference between EK @ 8.5 and Nurse at 9.25 will pay the full salary of Calvin Pickard to play backup behind Skinner.

This is the absolute best possible outcome for Edmonton.

You get EK to play with Edmonton right now who ideally helps McDavid and Company literally hammer both of Gretzkys goals and points totals.

I could see McDavid pushing 220-240 points with EK and Bouchard at the back.

The only negative here the only capital they are going to have to upgrade is 2/3rd round picks.

Edmonton could highly utilize either of Backlund or Zadorov from the Flames which could probably be had for 2nd and 3rd round picks.

I’m not joking you go all in now or McDavid has no reasons to re-sign in 2 years. Yes I’m saying 2 years not 3 because if he’s not re-signed with 1 year left he’s freaking gone as a UFA.

• Haha
Reactions: Grinner

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Edmonton and SanJose are the only logical fit for EK and Nurse can play 3/4 minutes. It’s the only way SJ is getting positive assets back for EK.

Condition on the 2025 1st round pick. Edmonton makes either the Stanley cup final or wins the Stanley Cup they receive the 1st for winning the cup and the 2nd if they make the cup finals.

This deal only provides Edmonton 5M in todays dollars as the cap savings are 100% Campbell. The difference between EK @ 8.5 and Nurse at 9.25 will pay the full salary of Calvin Pickard to play backup behind Skinner.

You get EK to play with Edmonton right now who ideally helps McDavid and Company literally hammer both of Gretzkys goals and points totals.

The only negative here the only capital they are going to have to upgrade is 2/3rd round picks.

Edmonton could highly utilize either of Backlund or Zadorov from the Flames which could probably be had for 2nd and 3rd round picks.

I’m not joking you go all in now or McDavid has no reasons to re-sign in 2 years. Yes I’m saying 2 years not 3 because if he’s not re-signed with 1 year left he’s freaking gone as a UFA.
Man, as if you weren't already hard enough to take seriously, you then say Erik Karlsson would turn McDavid into a 220-240 point player.

My goodness.

HighLifeManIsHigh

McDave is a loser lol
Feb 27, 2006
Man, as if you weren't already hard enough to take seriously, you then say Erik Karlsson would turn McDavid into a 220-240 point player.

My goodness.
Come on man, you must be an Oilers hater. Of course, Erik Karlsson would increase McDavid’s output by 100 points

thehoffs

Jul 4, 2023

My goodness.
He would.

With McDavids speed and EKs insane pass rush 220-240 is absolutely doable.

It’s not at all unreasonable for us to see McDavid have a season with 100goals and 200+ points.

Gretzky was a freaking nobody when he did it. The only thing Gretzky had going for him was the league was full of no-talent p***yes and the goaltending was an absolute joke.

The last 2 seasons we are seeing a return to this high GAA goaltending. Goalies with 2.89 GAA being ok.

If there is a player to do it McDavid is that one but it’s the next 2-3 years or never.

thehoffs

Jul 4, 2023
Come on man, you must be an Oilers hater. Of course, Erik Karlsson would increase McDavid’s output by 100 points
Even me personally it’s impossible to say. He just had the most amazing season with Darnell Nurse as a top pairing D and really no proper winger to really mesh with him on the first line.

As I said before. It’s a shame the Edmonton executives got stupid and greedy in 2016 as Tkachuk was their target all along.

Oddly one person said they easily could have taken Bennett over Draisatl in 2014.

Just do everyone knows not one team the flames included were targeting Bennett in the top4 that year.

Calgary took him as they failed in trading up and none of the trading down options outside of Toronto were remotely appetizing.

The only other deal the flames considered was the NYI who offered up their 2nd round pick to move from 5 to 4. Nobody wanted Dal Colle either. Calgary would have taken Nylander at 5 but the drop between Bennett and Nylander was considered a massive gamble.

Grinner

May 31, 2022

Just forget about trying to dump Nurse on
SJ.
Frankly your Karlsson deals are all terrible for SJ

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
What about his game excites you? He's not a great skater. Not a great defender. Not physical or an outside force. Doesn't really do zone entries with the drop back. Doesn't really impress on the top PP, McDavid drops back near the blue line to get space and the PP runs through him. Bouchard is just kinda there as a back line bumper between McDavid and Drai.

He's got an okay slapper I guess? In an era where teams are throwing 2 men in the middle lane to stop point bombs so everyone walks the line and wrists it these days? Which Bouchard doesn't really do.

I just don't see anything in his game that warrants excitement or a 1st round pick.

You'd have to sell me on the guy, because I watched A LOT of Edmonton this year, and he didn't impress me at all.
You are spot on.. points are shiny.. but he needs to adapt and evolve so much of how he plays or he simply another barrie..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad