Value of: your best offer for Evan Bouchard and Ryan McLeod (with a few stipulations)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Edmonton and SanJose are the only logical fit for EK and Nurse can play 3/4 minutes. It’s the only way SJ is getting positive assets back for EK.

I could see Edmonton Including their 2024 1st and Bourgault.

If I were SJ and Edmonton though go for broke.

To SJ. Nurse Campbell Bourgault 2024 1st with a conditional 2025 1st/2nd

To Edm. Erik Karlsson @ $8.5m

Condition on the 2025 1st round pick. Edmonton makes either the Stanley cup final or wins the Stanley Cup they receive the 1st for winning the cup and the 2nd if they make the cup finals.

This deal only provides Edmonton 5M in todays dollars as the cap savings are 100% Campbell. The difference between EK @ 8.5 and Nurse at 9.25 will pay the full salary of Calvin Pickard to play backup behind Skinner.

This is the absolute best possible outcome for Edmonton.

You get EK to play with Edmonton right now who ideally helps McDavid and Company literally hammer both of Gretzkys goals and points totals.

I could see McDavid pushing 220-240 points with EK and Bouchard at the back.

The only negative here the only capital they are going to have to upgrade is 2/3rd round picks.

Edmonton could highly utilize either of Backlund or Zadorov from the Flames which could probably be had for 2nd and 3rd round picks.

I’m not joking you go all in now or McDavid has no reasons to re-sign in 2 years. Yes I’m saying 2 years not 3 because if he’s not re-signed with 1 year left he’s freaking gone as a UFA.
Karlsson isn't what we need, and that cap hit precludes many other moves. We need another Ekholm for the right side, if we're patient we could have at least a partial version of that with Desharnais in a few seasons at a lower price.

Oilers need to go full on push the kids to fill in gaps for less effective cap space for the forseeable future.

IMO Nurse is tight with Connor and Leon and moving him, would cause problems resigning the two megastars. Sunk cost, better that Woodcroft adjusts by reducing the crazy icetime that made him so flat footed last year, drop the offense-first defensive systems that leave the crease wide open and pair him with a more offensive D so he can focus on defense first. Then we may not get the full value of his contract, but he won't be worthless either and better help the team win that what we saw last year.

Kane will have interest if the Oilers want to or need to move him, going to have to have a complete meltdown over seasons to decrease his reputation as a goalscorer. I expect him to bounce back with at least an average amount of healthy games.

Last edited:

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
You are spot on.. points are shiny.. but he needs to adapt and evolve so much of how he plays or he simply another barrie..
Really needs a coach who tells him that he either starts playing like an NHLer in his own zone or he can enjoy the nachos in the press box. He's never really been held accountable for his unacceptably poor defensive play and he's running out of time to stop being a complete liability.

Reactions: andora

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
What about his game excites you? He's not a great skater. Not a great defender. Not physical or an outside force. Doesn't really do zone entries with the drop back. Doesn't really impress on the top PP, McDavid drops back near the blue line to get space and the PP runs through him. Bouchard is just kinda there as a back line bumper between McDavid and Drai.

He's got an okay slapper I guess? In an era where teams are throwing 2 men in the middle lane to stop point bombs so everyone walks the line and wrists it these days? Which Bouchard doesn't really do.

I just don't see anything in his game that warrants excitement or a 1st round pick.

You'd have to sell me on the guy, because I watched A LOT of Edmonton this year, and he didn't impress me at all.

the guy quarter backing the best powerplay in league history didnt impress you at all?

He's not great in his own zone but he's a big threat in the O zone. He has a great shot and gives the Oilers a different look on their PP, teams have to respect the point shot alot more now that Bouchard is on the PP

His shot in general is good, not just his slapper. He gets his shots through and puts them in the right spot consistently

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

thehoffs

Jul 4, 2023
Mcdavid is up in 3 seasons not two. Ekholm is up and Kulak so that’s just under 9 million right there. Kane’s 5 million is also up so there’s 14 million.
It’s almost like this needs to be explained like elementary math.

If McDavid is a UFA in 3 years it means you are negotiating and signing an extension in 2 years or you are looking for whatever team will overpay you for a McRental.

You aren’t going to UFA and risking losing that asset for nothing.

Also don’t pretend like McD was ever happy Edmonton being his draft city. The day at the draft McD facial expression said it all. He was not thrilled to go to a team with the reputation like the oilers.

The kid wants to win period and he looks at Edmonton as the dumpster fire where 1st OA picks are sent to die.

You also have this idea you can just subtract players from the cap and replace them with a $0 replacement.

If you are removing Ekholm as a Top2 at $6,000,000 are you replacing him with say a $4,000,000 guy or even a $2,000,000 guy.

There is a very big problem with how you all in Edmonton think this is going to be easy.

Between Draisatl and McD you can expect raises to combine to $10-12m to keep both players.

They are expecting Drai to seek 13-14m and Edmonton has no other choice to pay it or watch him walk to Chicago.

Same decision with McD you pay him the $16-18m he commands or he’s walking to Chicago for absolutely nothing.

If you lose even 1 of 2 as a UFA your team will be absolutely skewered.

I do think if they are smart they trade Draisatl for a package that includes a similar player.

Personally something like a Kyrou where you can save some $$$ and really not downgrade at all.

Fact is you take McD away from Drai he’s not a 120-130 point player. He gets you 80-90 per year as being the #1 driver.

I also love Draisatl. I was all in when Calgary was trying to move to 1-2 in 2014 to draft him. Nobody wanted Bennett as their sloppy 4th consolation prize.

The fact is even RNH looks like a first line winger with MCD where as he’s a Middle 6 anywhere else.

thehoffs

Jul 4, 2023
the guy quarter backing the best powerplay in league history didnt impress you at all?

He's not great in his own zone but he's a big threat in the O zone. He has a great shot and gives the Oilers a different look on their PP, teams have to respect the point shot alot more now that Bouchard is on the PP

His shot in general is good, not just his slapper. He gets his shots through and puts them in the right spot consistently
The success of the power play has literally zero to do with Bouchard.

Any D playing the point in Edmonton is going replicate same or better results if they have adequate passing skills.

The fact is PP and PK success is often highly overlooked as a metric adding value. The reason being it’s difficult to justify the player who actually drives the success.

In Edmonton it’s 100% McD and Drai with everyone else just playing ping pong passing the puck.

This is also a unique problem in Edmonton as it directly led to Nurse being overpaid by about 3.75m or so per year. I can see the same mistake made on Bouchard. He’s better than Nurse but again Bouchard isn’t good enough YET to be a 1/2 offensively and D wise he never will be.

This is why I keep saying Edmonton needs to dump Nurse for EK immediately and if possible some how include Campbell Soup in the deal as well.

Just forget about trying to dump Nurse on
SJ.
Frankly your Karlsson deals are all terrible for SJ
No they aren’t. SJ isn’t competing anytime soon. So if they can get a prospect like Bourgault and 2 1sts for taking on Nurse and Campbell who are literally just stop gaps while they develop a new core you do it 100%.

Nobody else is going to net you value like that and let’s be honest Blackwood and Campbell exact same level of non-potential.

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018

Any D playing the point in Edmonton is going replicate same or better results if they have adequate passing skills.

The fact is PP and PK success is often highly overlooked as a metric adding value. The reason being it’s difficult to justify the player who actually drives the success.

In Edmonton it’s 100% McD and Drai with everyone else just playing ping pong passing the puck.
The powerplay actually went up when Bouchard took over for Barrie on the pp, to say Bouchard offers nothing is such an arrogant statement and shows you have no idea what you’re talking about. Hf is hilarious, few years ago, no one would give Drai any credit for his scoring because he played with Mcdavid. Now only a few years later, Mcdavid AND Draisaitl are the only reasons any players in Edmonton score. Maybe good players play with good players and we have to stop discrediting players for putting up points. If it was so easy, you wouldn’t need Hyman, Nuge or Kane, Brown. Just sign 4 Devin Shores and they should pot home 30 goals each with your logic, right?

You clearly enjoy hating on the Oilers but god damn your logic is flawed to shit. Give it a rest already.

Last edited:

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

This is also a unique problem in Edmonton as it directly led to Nurse being overpaid by about 3.75m or so per year. I can see the same mistake made on Bouchard. He’s better than Nurse but again Bouchard isn’t good enough YET to be a 1/2 offensively and D wise he never will be.

This is why I keep saying Edmonton needs to dump Nurse for EK immediately and if possible some how include Campbell Soup in the deal as well.

No they aren’t. SJ isn’t competing anytime soon. So if they can get a prospect like Bourgault and 2 1sts for taking on Nurse and Campbell who are literally just stop gaps while they develop a new core you do it 100%.

Nobody else is going to net you value like that and let’s be honest Blackwood and Campbell exact same level of non-potential.

I mean this is a wrong take

Last edited:

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton

McDavid and Draisaitl are obviously the straws that stir the drink on the PP but Bouchard has made a noticeable impact so far, same with RNH. I think the net front guy is pretty interchangeable between Hyman/Kane/Brown but the other 4 work together so well

Anytime RNH has missed games special teams have been seriously impacted, its not all McDavid and Draisaitl

Reactions: Ragdoll

Grinner

May 31, 2022

Just give it a rest
No way Nurse and thst 8cyeaexanchor of a contract becomes a Shark

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Just give it a rest
As long as Connor and Leon are here I don't see Nurse agreeing to go anywhere either. Regardless if there is a team that wants him.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
I’m not an LA fan at all. Even then I can tell you they absolutely torched WPH in the Dubois trade.

The only thing of moderate value was Vilardi who at age 23 just cracked double digit goals for the first time.

Kupari is a bust.

Iafallo is a 30 year nobody.

It is amazing, you really have the whole league figured out. There isn't a player or a team you are not an expert on.

thehoffs

Jul 4, 2023
Just give it a rest
I will bet you right now Edmonton is 1 of only 2 viable deals they are exploring and I feel it’s likely the only team offering real world trade value.

Even if it’s not Nurse coming back any team is sending back whatever bear shit contract they have.

It also doesn’t impede the rebuild in SJ. They aren’t going to compete in the next 3-4 years anyways.

They need to trade couture and company for whatever they can get.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
I will bet you right now Edmonton is 1 of only 2 viable deals they are exploring and I feel it’s likely the only team offering real world trade value.

Even if it’s not Nurse coming back any team is sending back whatever bear shit contract they have.

It also doesn’t impede the rebuild in SJ. They aren’t going to compete in the next 3-4 years anyways.

They need to trade couture and company for whatever they can get.
At the end of the day, I'm good with where ever he might be traded.
It's the return I care about.
Taking back a 8x9mil contract is defeating the purpose of collecting picks and prospects to build upon.
I don't know if there's a worse contract than Nurse's

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
It’s almost like this needs to be explained like elementary math.

If McDavid is a UFA in 3 years it means you are negotiating and signing an extension in 2 years or you are looking for whatever team will overpay you for a McRental.

You aren’t going to UFA and risking losing that asset for nothing.

Also don’t pretend like McD was ever happy Edmonton being his draft city. The day at the draft McD facial expression said it all. He was not thrilled to go to a team with the reputation like the oilers.

The kid wants to win period and he looks at Edmonton as the dumpster fire where 1st OA picks are sent to die.

You also have this idea you can just subtract players from the cap and replace them with a $0 replacement.

If you are removing Ekholm as a Top2 at $6,000,000 are you replacing him with say a $4,000,000 guy or even a $2,000,000 guy.

There is a very big problem with how you all in Edmonton think this is going to be easy.

Between Draisatl and McD you can expect raises to combine to $10-12m to keep both players.

They are expecting Drai to seek 13-14m and Edmonton has no other choice to pay it or watch him walk to Chicago.

Same decision with McD you pay him the $16-18m he commands or he’s walking to Chicago for absolutely nothing.

If you lose even 1 of 2 as a UFA your team will be absolutely skewered.

I do think if they are smart they trade Draisatl for a package that includes a similar player.

Personally something like a Kyrou where you can save some $$$ and really not downgrade at all.

Fact is you take McD away from Drai he’s not a 120-130 point player. He gets you 80-90 per year as being the #1 driver.

I also love Draisatl. I was all in when Calgary was trying to move to 1-2 in 2014 to draft him. Nobody wanted Bennett as their sloppy 4th consolation prize.

The fact is even RNH looks like a first line winger with MCD where as he’s a Middle 6 anywhere else.
The fact of the matter is the oilers have a ton of money expiring when Mc David’s contract is up. Plus we’ll have 3 significant cap increases in that stretch. Not sure what having to negotiate a year out has to do with anything. You’re also just pulling numbers out of your butthole. I get it. Hard times being a flames fan these days.

Reactions: 9911 and capazzo

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
At the end of the day, I'm good with where ever he might be traded.
It's the return I care about.
Taking back a 8x9mil contract is defeating the purpose of collecting picks and prospects to build upon.
I don't know if there's a worse contract than Nurse's
Karlsson's?

Reactions: iCanada

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
8x9
4x11.5
I'll let you do the math
And of course the levels of players involved
Nurse has 7 years left at 9.25M and he's 28 years old.
He'll be 34 years old when his contract expires in 2029-30.
I don't even want Karlsson.
I don't understand why he's even being mentioned in this thread.

Edit: Nurse will be 35 years old at the end of his contract. His birthday is, Feb 4th.

Last edited:

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Nurse has 7 years left at 9.25M and he's 28 years old.
He'll be 34 years old when his contract expires in 2029-30.
I don't even want Karlsson.
I don't understand why he's even being mentioned in this thread.

Edit: Nurse will be 35 years old at the end of his contract. His birthday is, Feb 4th.
Karlsson is going to go down as one of the leagues best offensive defenceman

Nurse is going to be known for his grossly overpaid contract

These two are not even remotely similar

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Congrats on writing a novel that has nothing to say. Draisaitl is going nowhere. Every good team has cap issues they have to navigate, it's part of being a good team (you have to pay players), there's no top end team with like 10 million of cap space.
Most teams esp top teams have Cap issues specifically due to a stagnant cap the past 4 years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad