Your all time team, starting in 1990, for your favorite team

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
I see a lot inclueding players they drafted but became house hold names with different teams

As for Panthers. I'm even scared to try to do one with just Panthers draft players and that were successful in Florida

Huberdeau-Barkov-Horton
Booth-Weiss-Dadonov
Niedermayer-Trocheck-Dvorak
Campbell-Lundell-Hagman

Bouwmeester-Ekblad
Weegar-Jovanovski
Kulikov-Svehla

Markström
Knight

That defense is solid tho
could add zach hyman in there

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
As a Flames fan, I really hate two of the rules here.
and had to be drafted.

We lose out on:
Theo Fleury (1987)
Jarome Iginla (Drafted by Dallas, never played a game for them)
Mark Giordano (Undrafted)

Calgary really suffers on that 1990 cut-off. We were a basement dwelling team dying on the Canadian dollar who drafted horribly. The two best players we drafted in the 90's were Cory Stillman and Derek Morris. Yes. You read that correctly

Umm... but at least the 1990s cut off gets us a goalie that played more than 40 games with the Flames.

For Flames:
Kidd - 250 GP
Trefilov - 18 GP
Sabourin - 4GP
McElhinney - 29 GP
Keetley - 1 GP
Irving - 13 GP
Ortio - 37 GP
Gilles - 12 GP
Wolf - 18 GP

Dustin Wolf is tied for 4th GP for goalies since 1990.

Then there's decent guys we apparently drafted, but they didn't play a single game for us (over 500 GP): Craig Andersen (Redraft), Laurent Brossoit (Trade), Travis Moen (Unsigned), Jarrett Stoll (Redraft), Robert Svehla (Trade).

I mean, things are kinda blegh right now for Flames fans. But this exercise reminded me of some truly dark times to be a Flames fan. If we had to field this team for the Flames vs other teams prepared in this thread, I'm not sure I continue having them as my favourite team. lol.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
You could certainly slot him in there if you wanted as the Kings HAVE played him at that position. I tried to keep the players as close to their position that they played as possible but there's some fudging in there as well. Nothing specific was mentioned about their positions though...but I did try to keep that consistent.
No worries it just surprised me and I had forgotten that Lang was a Kings prospect and frankly he only seemed to "break out" on the back of Jagr later in his career.

Figgy44

Dec 15, 2014
So going back over 35 year and Broberg is one of your 3 best LD? Seriously?

I took a quick glance and it's not totally out of left field. There's like 2 other players that played more than 100 GP (ie: Tom Poti?) for the Oilers.

For 80-120 ish GP for Oilers, Broberg is looking at competition like Desharnais, Jones, Lagesson, Marincin, Peckham, Chorney, Semenov... longer careers, sure. But none with top 4 potential like Broberg.

What you'll also find is the amount of decent calibre dmen that the Oilers picked up, but they succeeded elsewhere. Flames are dealing with similar issues in this exercise. It kinda shows how brutal our development of goalie has been for the last 35 years. This has been a theme that Oilers and Flames have discussed a few times in the last few years when the quality of drafting has come up. Both teams have decent scouts who can identify talent in the later rounds. But there seems to be major issues in terms of development and graduation.

Oilers at least have Skinner and Dubnyk to select from in this exercise for goalies. If it was a 1991 or 200 cut off, the Flames best goalies are McElhinney and Wolf.

It seems for the Oilers, dmen is one. For the Flames, goaltending. These categories seem like they're near league bottom for sure in the last 20-30 years. The other positions can be improved, but seem at least passable as league average.

It's true haha. If you take out McDavid on the account of him being a no brainer gift and really no drafting and development skill involved. Then account for the relatively high position we have tended to draft at. The Oilers have been a dumpster fire at the draft and development table for 30 years.

I wouldn't be so hard on management and ownership. I think Oilers scouting is relatively fine, maybe poor in the first two rounds solely because coaches, ownership and GM might be overriding the scouts (ie: Openly known Yakupov rumors). But that's not a scout issue, that's an overriding issue.

That team that was submitted isn't too bad. The D isn't great, but keep in mind that if the team improved development and promotion, you'd be able to add quality guys like: Marino, Gustaffsson, Nash, Lombardi etc. since 2000. That's not including the fact many existing players would be improved.

Flames started this under the Treliving era and are seemingly vastly this improving development philosophy under Conroy. I think it goes a long way if both teams don't bleed as much talent and improves the quality of the talent on their roster/reduces the talent they lost while on their roster (injury and otherwise). Many fans consider 3rd rounders and later lottery picks, but finding and keeping a 2nd round or higher calibre talent and keeping them every 5-10 years goes a long way. FFS, if anyone knows about lottery tickets and finding money, it's the Oilers. As a Flames fan, if we could get that type of lottery luck, we wouldn't be running the mediocrity treadmill for decades.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Sedin-Sedin-Nedved
Pettersson-Kesler-Boeser
Raymond-Horvat-Walker
Odjick-Druken-Cooke
Ruutu

Hughes-Aucoin
Edler-Ohlund
Hutton-Bieksa

Demko
Schneider

Last edited:

Figgy44

Dec 15, 2014
Sedin-Sedin-Nedved
Pettersson-Kesler-Boeser
Raymond-Horvat-Walker
Odjick-Druken-Cooke
Ruutu

Hughes-Aucoin
Ohlund-Bieksa
Edler-Hutton

Luongo
Demko

I didn't go through the rest because they look OK, but Luongo doesn't look right. Did you mean Schneider?

could add zach hyman in there

Didn't play a game for Florida though. I believe those guys are exempt.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
:avs

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Tanguay - Stastny - Hejduk
Deadmarsh- O'Reilly - Nolan
Duchene - Drury- Vrbata

Byram - Makar
Boychuk - Barrie
Liles - Shattenkirk

Thibault
Aebischer

Forward group is amazing, defense and goaltending are embarrassing

I dunno, looking at a lot of teams the defense looks pretty good. Shattenkirk and Barrie were pretty good at their heights. The top pairing I'd put up against anyone (Makar alone is tremendous). You are right about the goaltending though. Pretty trash.

Reactions: BrickNHL

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Capitals

Ovechkin - Backstrom - F. Forsberg
Semin - Kuznetsov - Bondra
Konowalchuk - Halpern* - Wilson
Peake - C. Stephenson - Burakovsky
Bench: M. Perreault, Vrana, Leonard (!)

Gonchar - Carlson
Orlov - Green
Klee - Witt
Bench: Fehervary, Alzner

Holtby
Carey

Goalie bench:
Grubauer
Neuvirth
Vanecek
Samsonov
(Missed Kolzig by one year, drafted 1989)

*Undrafted local product, developed entirely by the Caps. Bump Stephenson to No. 3 and Perreault to No. 4 center, if not.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Umm... but at least the 1990s cut off gets us a goalie that played more than 40 games with the Flames.

For Flames:
Kidd - 250 GP
Trefilov - 18 GP
Sabourin - 4GP
McElhinney - 29 GP
Keetley - 1 GP
Irving - 13 GP
Ortio - 37 GP
Gilles - 12 GP
Wolf - 18 GP

Dustin Wolf is tied for 4th GP for goalies since 1990.

Then there's decent guys we apparently drafted, but they didn't play a single game for us (over 500 GP): Craig Andersen (Redraft), Laurent Brossoit (Trade), Travis Moen (Unsigned), Jarrett Stoll (Redraft), Robert Svehla (Trade).

I mean, things are kinda blegh right now for Flames fans. But this exercise reminded me of some truly dark times to be a Flames fan. If we had to field this team for the Flames vs other teams prepared in this thread, I'm not sure I continue having them as my favourite team. lol.
Before your post, didn't realize just how bad that the goaltending situation was for the Flames. Mentally knew that the Flames had ~10 years of elite level goaltending from Kipper that spoiled the organization, but didn't know just how bleak it was after that. Goaltending is more of a crapshoot than skaters from a draft/develop perspective, but that's really damning when you look at it over a 30 year timeframe.

Reactions: Figgy44

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Rules are the players must have been drafted and developed by your team

Earliest you can go back is 1990

For the Sens my pick is

Stuzle - Spezza - Alfredson
Tkachuk - Yashin - Hossa
Havlat - Bonk - Stone
Greig - Fisher - Neil

Method - Karlsson
Phillips - Volchenkov
Sanderson - Zub

Emery
Forsberg
You broke your own rules

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Debrincat - Toews - Kane
Daze - Bedard - Teravainen
Saad - Schmaltz - Hartman
T.Ruutu - Danault - McAmmond

Keith - Seabrook
Byfuglien - Hjalmarsson
Wisniewski - Kravchuk

Corey Crawford
Craig Anderson
Just IMO but I'd have Bolland replace Schmaltz. I know DB played fewer games, but he was a flipping beast to play against before injuries derailed his career.

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Stutzle - Spezza - Alfredson
Tkachuk - Yashin - Hossa
Stone - Bonk - Havlat
Demitra - Fisher - Neil

Chabot - Karlsson
Phillips - Volchenkov
Sanderson - Zub

Emery
Lehner

Last edited:

GoldenKnight

Jun 2, 2017
Las Vegas
Oilers:

Smyth- McDavid- Eberle
Hall- Draisaitl- Hemsky
Chimera- Nugent-Hopkins-Satan
Holloway-Arnott-Gagner

Klefbom- Bouchard
Nurse- Petry
Broberg-Greene (Matt)

Skinner
Dubnyk

This team sucks. LOL
Missing B. Mironov, who was tremendous for a few years in the mid-to-late 90s.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
:ducks

Bobby Ryan - Ryan Getzlaf - Corey Perry
Paul Kariya - Mason McTavish - Troy Terry
Matt Leclerc - Trevor Zegras - Rickard Rakell
Matt Beleskey - Matt Cullen - Chris Wagner
(Joffrey Lupul)

Hampus Lindholm - Josh Manson
Cam Fowler - Ruslan Salei
Vitaly Vishnevski - Oleg Tverdovsky
(Sami Vatanen)

John Gibson
Ilya Bryzgalov

*Not all of the best players, but trying to put together lines that makes sense.

frontsfan2005

Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Ottawa:
Tkachuk-Spezza-Alfredsson
Stutzle-Yashin-Hossa
Foligno-Demitra-Stone
Bonk-Fisher-Neil
Extra: Vermette, Havlat

Phillips-Karlsson
Chabot-Volchenkov
Sanderson-Salo
Extra: Meszaros

Emery
Elliott
Extra: Lehner

Redden - wasn't drafted by Senators (2nd overall by Isles in 95)

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Debrusk and Smolinski over Axelsson and Stumpel

Gill over Mark Stuart.

The rest are good.
Stumpel at his best was a point per game player at the height of the dead puck era and finished 10th in league scoring. I think he belongs over the likes of DeBrusk and Smolinski.

Reactions: BruinDust

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Capitals

Ovechkin - Backstrom - F. Forsberg
Semin - Kuznetsov - Bondra
Konowalchuk - Halpern* - Wilson
Peake - C. Stephenson - Burakovsky
Bench: M. Perreault, Vrana, Leonard (!)

Gonchar - Carlson
Orlov - Green
Klee - Witt
Bench: Fehervary, Alzner

Holtby
Carey

Goalie bench:
Grubauer
Neuvirth
Vanecek
Samsonov
(Missed Kolzig by one year, drafted 1989)

*Undrafted local product, developed entirely by the Caps. Bump Stephenson to No. 3 and Perreault to No. 4 center, if not.
I think forsberg doesn’t count since the only thing caps did with him is trade him for nothing

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Stumpel at his best was a point per game player at the height of the dead puck era and finished 10th in league scoring. I think he belongs over the likes of DeBrusk and Smolinski.

You're probably right. I was just never a fan of the guy.

• Wow
Reactions: Dog

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Pacioretty/Koivu/Ryder
Tucker/Conroy/Gallagher
Caufield/Plekanec/Bure
Lehkonen/Ribiero/Slafkovsky

Subban / Markov
McDonagh/Robidas
Sergachev/Rivet

Price/Theodore/Vokoun
No Brian Savage? Mark Streit?

Oh well, seems Savage was developed in Miami. But that would disqualify Koivu as well :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad