Value of: Young Anaheim D (Theodore, Manson, Montour, Larsson)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Oct 18, 2011
Just curious which defenseman Anaheim would be willing to part with in order to ditch Bieksa. $4M cap hit, plus the NMC plus allows them to possibly keep Fowler along with Lindholm & Rakell.

Would Anaheim fans be willing to look at something like...

Bieksa + Montour/Larsson/etc

For

2017 2nd + B- prospect?
i don't think ditching 2 years of bieksa is worth losing 5-7 years of one of those young dmen for a 2nd and a b- type prospect

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
i don't think ditching 2 years of bieksa is worth losing 5-7 years of one of those young dmen for a 2nd and a b- type prospect

At the same time would it be worth it to do so in order to be able to sign Lindholm long term AND keep Fowler for the next two seasons?

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Kapanen has produced like a top-6 forward in the AHL, FEL and WJC as an 18/19 year old. That's actually quite impressive. He was thought of in the same class as Nylander at draft time but fell a little bit. He was moved as the main piece for star forward Phil Kessel. A guy like Larsson has not done one thing to exceed Kapanen in value, he probably has less.

Brown is 22 and only has 7 NHL games. But, guess what, Montour is 22 and hasn't played a single game at the NHL level. What elevates Montour's status above Brown's? They've both seen that major development spike over the past few years.

I don't want to trade the Leafs prospects for the Ducks D prospects, either. I am just acknowledging the value is closer to what I'm proposing then Ducks fans are asking. I'm mentioning prospects that have almost identical value to one another, even though I don't want to trade them. Ducks fans are asking for literally the best prospects in the world for these guys.

It's like Habs fans asking for JVR for Juulsen. Literally asking for top of the lineup talent, for stuff way way down your list.

Larsson played in Europe against grown men and did well his stock has risen since being drafted.

Montour has been very impressive in the AHL. With how Montour keeps getting better in higher up leagues as a defenseman the more important position it becomes more important you are sure you are making the right move to trade him.

Considering how much more important defenseman are to wingers and how well Ducks have been at drafting and developing defenseman I value our best ones highly making me reluctant to trade them.

Asking for a top line NHL player isn't the same as asking for a prospect like Brown or Kapanen.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Just curious which defenseman Anaheim would be willing to part with in order to ditch Bieksa. $4M cap hit, plus the NMC plus allows them to possibly keep Fowler along with Lindholm & Rakell.

Would Anaheim fans be willing to look at something like...

Bieksa + Montour/Larsson/etc

For

2017 2nd + B- prospect?

Bieksa pushed for a NMC because he doesn't want to move his family, that in itself should completely kill the idea.

Our GM has spoken out against moving his top young assets in exchange for short term gain, I would think that applies to money saving deals as well.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
The Leafs can draft a dman with their likely top-10 selection in next year's entry draft. The Leafs likely wouldn't have issue dealing JVR for a defensive upgrade. Montour isn't much more exciting to the Leafs future than names like Zaitsev, Carrick, Dermott, Nielsen and Valiev. They're not dealing 1st line talent for an A or B prospect level talent. They need a legit blue chip type of young talent in return. If that's all the Ducks have to offer they need to lower their demands in order to facilitate a trade.

We don't need to lower our demands for the sake of a trade. This thread was created by a Leafs fan. We want to keep all four defensemen mentioned in the OP. Please, by all means, go draft your own next year. If Montour gets dealt eventually, nothing I can do about that, but we want to keep him. The fanbases simply don't like anything that would be fair so there's no deal to be made (on HF).

Theodore is a lock for the Ducks in his 4th season post draft. Why has it taken him longer than it will for Marner and Nylander?

He's a defenseman for starters. On top of that, look at the team he's trying to crack. It's much harder for a young defenseman to break into the Anaheim defense, one of the very best and deepest the league, than it is for a young forward to join the Leafs roster.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
I have never really paid attention to him in the past. Have not seen many ducks games either. It has just been this tournament that I have paid attention because we have a player on the team. I will take your word for it that he normally awesome. Look forward to see everyone get better as the tournament progresses.

Watch him play in some NHL games not a silly international tournament and then feel free to tell peeps what you think of him. He is a very good NHL defenseman and that's all the Duck fans care about, not how he looks in a tournament game here or there. He would be one of your top guys if he was on your team.

supersonic jet

Jun 22, 2014
Winnipeg
Watch him play in some NHL games not a silly international tournament and then feel free to tell peeps what you think of him. He is a very good NHL defenseman and that's all the Duck fans care about, not how he looks in a tournament game here or there. He would be one of your top guys if he was on your team.

He would not make the under23 NA team, Buff, Enstrom, Myers, Trouba are all much better than him. He could not make a pass again last night, he could replace Stuart he can't make a pass either.

If you dispute this then I can't take anything you Say seriously. You have Theodore and Montour that I think are better than him right now.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
He would not make the under23 NA team, Buff, Enstrom, Myers, Trouba are all much better than him. He could not make a pass again last night, he could replace Stuart he can't make a pass either.

If you dispute this then I can't take anything you Say seriously. You have Theodore and Montour that I think are better than him right now.

You're talking about being taken seriously, and youre judging a guy known to be a very good young dman based on a couple games in an international tournament?

Montour hasn't played a single minute in an NHL game, there's currently no grounds for declaring him as better than Vatanen.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.

Questioning Vatanen because of how he is playing in this crappy tournament after months of not playing hockey :shakehead I am sure Vatanen will do fine with the Ducks this season like he has with us multiple times before. Theodore and Montour are not better yet. Montour and Theodore need to prove they can handle a full NHL season like Vatanen has done.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

LOL, what? Vatanen has been a pretty productive nhl player.. but sure Montour and Theodore are better :help:

supersonic jet

Jun 22, 2014
Winnipeg
LOL, what? Vatanen has been a pretty productive nhl player.. but sure Montour and Theodore are better :help:

Your fans say Montour and Theodore are #1 defenseman potential. I was takiing thier word for it, Vats can't make a pass so not a first pairing defenseman, you can't have it both ways:help:

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Your fans say Montour and Theodore are #1 defenseman potential. I was takiing thier word for it, Vats can't make a pass so not a first pairing defenseman, you can't have it both ways:help:

Theodore has top pair potential and Montour will probably top out as a 2nd pair defenseman if he is able to handle the NHL. What Vatanen does in this crappy world cup after not playing hockey for a while means little it is what he does in the NHL and he has proven to be a good young defenseman he isn't a top pair defenseman no sane Ducks fans would say he is 2nd pair defenseman is more like it.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Detroit Red Wings- Cam Fowler

Anaheim Duck's- Tatar+Jurco

Detroit Red Wings- Montour

Anaheim Duck's- Mantha

Looks like the Detroit Organization could be souring on Mantha a little. So a deal around Mantha for Montour could be beneficial for both clubs.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Detroit Red Wings- Cam Fowler

Anaheim Duck's- Tatar+Jurco

Detroit Red Wings- Montour

Anaheim Duck's- Mantha

Looks like the Detroit Organization could be souring on Mantha a little. So a deal around Mantha for Montour could be beneficial for both clubs.

I imagine there would have to be a plus from Detroit in that Montour for Mantha swap. Ducks are super high on Montour, and if the RW are trying to move Mantha he'll have less value.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I imagine there would have to be a plus from Detroit in that Montour for Mantha swap. Ducks are super high on Montour, and if the RW are trying to move Mantha he'll have less value.

Not really sure if Detroit would be trying to move Mantha, This would be mere speculation on my part. And you're right Detroit would need to add on top of Mantha for Montour so it probably wouldn't be worthwhile here. I think if Holland were to package Mantha in a deal most likely it would be for Shattenkirk doubt he would move him in a deal for Fowler don't see that happening. Most likely only for Shattenkirk if he agreed to an extension.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Vatanen may have had a wart or two exposed being used as a 1 in an all star tournament, but he's still a great second pairing offensive guy on many teams. Can probably get away with having him top pair on a contending team with a great partner.

If Ducks were an up and coming team vs an already established one I'd say Fowler is easily the guy you move. But trying to get through the west with an inexperienced defense doesn't sound like a recipe for success at all.

Something has got to give but having too many good defensemen is a good thing.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Not that interested in trading them especially with what Toronto would be willing to trade for them.

they can't sit in the minors forever and not all will make the Ducks because of lack of space on the team. this is called trading from a position of strength. the Ducks have an overabundance of good d-men in the system that they could turn into something they very much need (winger perhaps?) if you could get JVR from the Leafs for one of the kids or even Cam Fowler and make things cap compatable, then i would do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad