Value of: Young Anaheim D (Theodore, Manson, Montour, Larsson)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA
What do you expect exactly? We'll take your marginally valuable assets for our premium defensive prospects? The switch out for our defensive future needs to be a comparable boost to our offense now or for the future. Theodore and Montour are premier assets. Larsson has the upside to be a great top 4 guy. Manson is probably the most affordable. But he wouldn't be cheap either.

Sure. But the problem is how you categorize Toronto's prospects outside of the big 3 as marginal. Which they are not. Toronto's prospect pool in top 3 in the NHL, yet you guys can't seem to find a single decent one in there.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
What would Anaheim fans want from Toronto for each of these guys?

Who is the cheapest to acquire?

Why would they move any of those guys without a hefty price. It's real nice to be able to have a loaded defense with all those young guys, let them play out and once it's time for some of them to get paid that's when you make that decision. An added plus is they have Fowler who should be the guy used to help their offense make them look solid for years to come.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
Sure. But the problem is how you categorize Toronto's prospects outside of the big 3 as marginal. Which they are not. Toronto's prospect pool in top 3 in the NHL, yet you guys can't seem to find a single decent one in there.

I don't see it that way, but there is a drop off considering how good those top three look to be. I'd be interested in getting Kapanen into our system.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

I didn't make any comments on who Anaheim would want. I'm just saying our asking price would be high for a reason.

Oct 18, 2011
Im all for turning some defense for offense but it has to be quality tossing in the hfboards favorite asset, a 2nd is not going to get you far. Larsson, Theodore and Montour will cost you something you do not want to trade

TheGreat

Dec 5, 2012
The Las Vegas draft is going to affect the value of some Dman. Not now but next June.
Most teams will protect 7 forwards, 3 Dmen.
Some will protect 4 forwards, 4 Dmen.

I believe the Leafs will be able to protect 5 Dmen and only 3 forwards.

Leafs would protect (as of now) Gardiner, Rielly, I would say Carrick and Marincin. Any reasonable trade they can make to upgrade their Dmen would be a bonus.
Look at the Islanders....Leddy, Boychuk (NMC) and either Poluk or Harmonic. I would suspect Harmonic would be available.
Similar to the Ducks, I think the Leafs might be a position to upgrade their defence

Leafs 3 forwards protected.....JVR, Kadri, Brown. Leaves Komarov, Martin, Bozak, Leivo, Rychel exposed.

Many young NHL Leafs, Zaitsev, Nylander, Soshinov, Hyman, Johnson and of course Matthews, Marner do not have to be protected

I think the leafs would def protect Leo if like you said the young leaf players dont need to be protected,

Leafs i think would go 4F, 4D and 1G (Freddie obv)

TheGreat

Dec 5, 2012
Im all for turning some defense for offense but it has to be quality tossing in the hfboards favorite asset, a 2nd is not going to get you far. Larsson, Theodore and Montour will cost you something you do not want to trade

at least you remembered its HF , so dont be too mad when you some of the offers

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
What do you expect exactly? We'll take your marginally valuable assets for our premium defensive prospects? The switch out for our defensive future needs to be a comparable boost to our offense now or for the future. Theodore and Montour are premier assets. Larsson has the upside to be a great top 4 guy. Manson is probably the most affordable. But he wouldn't be cheap either.

Arguments could be made that Matthews/Marner/Nylander are 3 of the top-5 prospects in the NHL. Anaheim doesn't have an equivalent to them. Theodore would be in the top-30 range. I don't think the Leafs have a value equivalent to him.

There is a lot of talent past those guys that could be considered as value comparables to the Ducks d-men. Kapanen to Larsson and Brown to Montour, given age/contract/development seem like good ones. There is plenty there that would be fair value for Manson as well.

I think aiming for the Leafs big guns that are obviously out of reach kills discussion. They're closer in value to the names I listed then those guys.

Last edited:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Montour for kapanen and a small add.

I would not do that from Ducks side and rather hold on on Montour. Kapanen is not a bad prospect (i also admit i have not been watching him a lot in the pro NA leagues) but i would look for something more, Montour has been too great and certainly haven`t stopped improving.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Was a big advocate for getting Montour but the combo of his year driving up the price and now having a comparable if less heralded player of the same age and type in Carrick really takes away the shine. Paying full price on the upside only to cannibalize between two good young dmen isn't that attractive.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Would pass

Montour has been amazing in every league he has gone too, no point trading him for a b level prospet id rather hold on to him and see what he does.

Most of our d prospects are likely under valued as trade bait right now no point to field offers.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

pass. Montour was still in the USHL when he was kapanens age.
next year and the year after Kasperi will be the same age as most AHL rookies, best to see what he does then. we have a montour in connor carrick already (21 pts in 20 AHL games)

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Would pass

Montour has been amazing in every league he has gone too, no point trading him for a b level prospet id rather hold on to him and see what he does.

Most of our d prospects are likely under valued as trade bait right now no point to field offers.

To be honest I`d put Montour as a B level prospect currently as well but he has a clear potential to become A level one this season just because there is a lot of unknown in him. He has bulked up and remain his speed over the offseason. Montour was only half dedicated hockey player just a couple of years ago when he was playing lacrosse in a high level as well, and ever since he focused 100% to hockey he has really sky-rocketed from USHL to the AHL first team all star defenseman in basically one year. Currently there is a lot of unknown in Montour even from Ducks perspective. He might remain borderline NHL player but he might become one of the most offensively gifted defensemen in the NHL, really. Maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle but we don`t know yet and i think that is a good reason to not give up Montour just yet just because we have a lot of good D prospects.

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA
pass. Montour was still in the USHL when he was kapanens age.
next year and the year after Kasperi will be the same age as most AHL rookies, best to see what he does then. we have a montour in connor carrick already (21 pts in 20 AHL games)

Thing that I've heard about Montour is that he is similar to Anthony DeAngelo and Connor Carrick. Great offensive instincts, but hot garbage in their own end.

Leafs got Carrick just for taking on Laich's contract and I don't think that DeAngelo was traded for much either.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
To be honest I`d put Montour as a B level prospect currently as well but he has a clear potential to become A level one this season just because there is a lot of unknown in him. He has bulked up and remain his speed over the offseason. Montour was only half dedicated hockey player just a couple of years ago when he was playing lacrosse in a high level as well, and ever since he focused 100% to hockey he has really sky-rocketed from USHL to the AHL first team all star defenseman in basically one year. Currently there is a lot of unknown in Montour even from Ducks perspective. He might remain borderline NHL player but he might become one of the most offensively gifted defensemen in the NHL, really. Maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle but we don`t know yet and i think that is a good reason to not give up Montour just yet just because we have a lot of good D prospects.

Oh I agree, I just think its better to keep him and see what he becomes rather then trade him cheap.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Thing that I've heard about Montour is that he is similar to Anthony DeAngelo and Connor Carrick. Great offensive instincts, but hot garbage in their own end.

Leafs got Carrick just for taking on Laich's contract and I don't think that DeAngelo was traded for much either.

yeah DeAngelo got moved for a 2nd rd pick after a 43pt in 69 game
20 year old rookie season. I dont think carrick or montour are as bad as him in their own end though.

I still wouldnt move Kapanen for Montour though. He is vastly underrated because of our big 3. but 40 pts in 69 games in the AHL
as a junior aged player is nothing to sneeze at. He will still be one of the youngest players in the league THIS year.

PhoenyX

Dec 13, 2009
Toronto

Toronto has a great prospect pool because of their big 3.

PhoenyX

Dec 13, 2009
Toronto
Arguments could be made that Matthews/Marner/Nylander are 3 of the top-5 prospects in the NHL. Anaheim doesn't have an equivalent to them. Theodore would be in the top-30 range. I don't think the Leafs have a value equivalent to him.

There is a lot of talent past those guys that could be considered as value comparables to the Ducks d-men. Kapanen to Larsson and Brown to Montour, given age/contract/development seem like good ones. There is plenty there that would be fair value for Manson as well.

I think aiming for the Leafs big guns that are obviously out of reach kills discussion. They're closer in value to the names I listed then those guys.

You are way off on that assessment. I don't think there is that much of a difference between Marner/Nylander and Theodore, if any at all. Marner hasn't even played a game in the AHL, let alone the NHL. Theodore has shown that he can produce in the AHL (37 points in 50 games) and put up 8 points in 19 games during his brief NHL stint. Not saying Marner won't do the same, but he hasn't proven it yet. Theodore plays a more valuable position too.

Last edited:

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
You are way off on that assessment. I don't think there is that much of a difference between Marner/Nylander and Theodore, if any at all. Marner hasn't even played a game in the AHL, let alone the NHL. Theodore has shown that he can produce in the AHL and put up 8 points in 19 games during his brief NHL stint. Not saying Marner won't do the same, but he hasn't proven it yet. Theodore plays a more valuable position too.

Marner plays at center ice and on the wing. His future position is unknown at the NHL level. He will surely start on the wing for this season, though.

If you look at Marner's and Nylander's #'s at their ages in the respective leagues they've been playing vs. past players they line up as having elite upside. Few have dominated quite as much as they have and not gone on to have pretty impressive careers.

I think most people would take those forwards before Theodore. I don't think I've ever seen him ranked higher than either of them in a prospect ranking. I'd classify all 3 as bluechips, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad