Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Tom Wilson (6 years, 5.17M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
And this everybody is how the top teams get in cap trouble... Rewarding a cup by giving out contracts like this one. No clue how he even got close to 5 million. Well done to his agent i guess

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Even if Wilson goes out and puts up 50 points....that STILL doesn't change the fact that the Caps should've gotten him on a better deal.

Look at his stats...he had NO leverage.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
so Tom Wilson is gonna make more money than Kucherov this season....

How was this not 3.5-4?

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I can't wait for the next season lost as the league and the PA come to the day of reckoning for the complete lack of meaning and value of RFAs and team control of players and term.

I would rather overpay my RFA's in their prime years as opposed to their UFA years when they will start to slow down.

And for most UFA contracts they start to slow down REAL quick.

It's an investment in your team's future as opposed to paying for another teams past.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Oh wow this contract surprised me. Wilson is a nice complementary piece to a skilled line similar to Maroon with McDavid, but I'm not sure he's earned that kind of money given that he played almost exclusively with Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Kuznetsov. I think 4M would have been much more fair.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I would take Wilson on my team all day long. He makes **** happen out there.

Typical HF. Since its a smidge over $5 million it's a bad contract. If it was a smidge under it would be a good contract.

$5 million is the O/U for bad contracts on this board and it's nonsense.
if you think people have a problem with it because it's 5.1 and not 5 on the dot I don't even know what to say. For real?

Reactions: Luc Labelle

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
His career high is 38 points and it's his only season with over 30.
Most at ES though and that is good. If it as 30-50% pp points that is a big issue but at ES those are pretty solid numbers. To put that into perspective, his comparable players at that range include Henrique, JVR, Saad, Hoffman, Lindholm, ROR.

I'm not saying this is a good contract, it pretty bad considering it is one season and his total production isn't great in that one, but while Wilson isn't a PP point getting he can still be a decent impact player in other ways.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
To play devil's advocate, yes his stats don't scream out at you. But putting Tom Wilson on the top line is a big part of what balanced the Caps out and made them a cup winner.

If he can stay at the level he played in the playoffs (or even improve), than you have a 3rd of your top line tied up for 6 years at a real bargain contract.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Wilson's most common linemates last year were Ovechkin, Backstrom and Kuznetsov. He played with them all season and put up 35 points. It's also not really saying much about him if he's only putting up that many points while playing with an elite winger and center, I'm not going to pay Bryan Rust $5 million a season because he can put up a 40 point pace while playing with Kessel and Malkin.

How many PP points did he have?

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Most at ES though and that is good. If it as 30-50% pp points that is a big issue but at ES those are pretty solid numbers. To put that into perspective, his comparable players at that range include Henrique, JVR, Saad, Hoffman, Lindholm, ROR.
And only ROR rivals his all around game out of that group.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Oshie is good defensively but not as much as Wilson, and the gap in their skating is huge. Wilson is low-key really really fast, and there's nobody else around his size that even comes close. That's gonna become a huge asset as we keep moving towards being much more of a skating league. The guy absolutely dominated the speed teams this Spring.

Oshie is a legit top line wing who imo is vastly underrated. Never seen why people thought his deal was bad. He's been an animal in the postseason for the Caps.

As a Pen fan he was their best player in the combined 3 series vs us. Hate him. in a good way...

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Oshie is good defensively but not as much as Wilson, and the gap in their skating is huge. Wilson is low-key really really fast, and there's nobody else around his size that even comes close. That's gonna become a huge asset as we keep moving towards being much more of a skating league. The guy absolutely dominated the speed teams this Spring.

And here I thought that the Caps winning was a sign of the speed trope regressing.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Oshie is a legit top line wing who imo is vastly underrated. Never seen why people thought his deal was bad. He's been an animal in the postseason for the Caps.

As a Pen fan he was their best player in the combined 3 series vs us. Hate him. in a good way...
I love Oshie, all I'm saying is there are areas of the game where Tom is better, one of them being skating. Which is so important now a days.

mrv52

Jan 22, 2004
Wilson's most common linemates last year were Ovechkin, Backstrom and Kuznetsov. He played with them all season and put up 35 points. It's also not really saying much about him if he's only putting up that many points while playing with an elite winger and center, I'm not going to pay Bryan Rust $5 million a season because he can put up a 40 point pace while playing with Kessel and Malkin.
Inaccurate

Blackhawk93

May 2, 2018
Hahaha this is the new Bryan Bickell contract.

People in this thread need to stop repeating this. I understand he got that contract off an unreal playoffs, but who saw him developing MS almost immediately after? We have no idea how it would have turned out if he had been healthy.

Reactions: Quiet Jack
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium