Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Tom Wilson (6 years, 5.17M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
I remember people saying that about the Oshie deal last year. Look what happened. Wait and see what happens boys.

The criticism was justified even though its a contract that they absolutely had to sign. Oshie is likely not going to age well with that contract, but it doesn't matter for the Caps now that they've won a Cup.

Do note that his S% is already teetering on the line of repeatability.

Last edited:

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
On a 6 year deal I feel like the Caps board was expecting $4.5-4.75M AAV. You guys have to remember he injured 4 guys in 4 series last year with Wennberg, Dumoulin, Aston Reese, and Marchessault, and also removed Coburn’s soul from his body.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Reactions: Curufinwe

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Man I really like Wilson but wow this is a bad, bad contract. Like holy ****.

Yea, I really like his game too and would love to have him on the Leafs, but certainly not on that contract.

This isn't the Clarkson signing though. Clarkson was garbage well before signing with the Leafs. The guy could barely stay up on his skates from what I remember. Wilson is a great skater and seems to be entering his prime in contrast.

Reactions: 7even

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
I can't wait for the next season lost as the league and the PA come to the day of reckoning for the complete lack of meaning and value of RFAs and team control of players and term.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's gonna be fun bumping this thread next season.

He's gonna put up 40-50 points playing consistently on that top line. He was a monster in the playoffs once he got a shot with 8 and 92.

Wilson's most common linemates last year were Ovechkin, Backstrom and Kuznetsov. He played with them all season and put up 35 points. It's also not really saying much about him if he's only putting up that many points while playing with an elite winger and center, I'm not going to pay Bryan Rust $5 million a season because he can put up a 40 point pace while playing with Kessel and Malkin.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Holy Overpay Batman!

I mean WIlson is a solid player. 3-4mil would be fair for what he brings....but 5.17 for a guy that
averaged 17pts/year before this season?

wow

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I remember people saying that about the Oshie deal last year. Look what happened. Wait and see what happens boys.

? Oshie had a few 50 point seasons before his contract and has been great for the Caps since day 1.

The fact that Wilson is now making almost as much as Oshie is bad...as Oshie is much better.

He was a RFA with no real good season yet...How the hell didn't the caps get Wilson for 3-4 mil per is beyond me. Horrible management.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I would take Wilson on my team all day long. He makes **** happen out there.

Typical HF. Since its a smidge over $5 million it's a bad contract. If he was a smidge under it would be a good contract.

$5 million is the O/U for bad contracts on this board and it's nonsense.

no.

4.8 or 4.9 would still be overpay for a guy that has one 25+pt season on his resume, and hasnt ever hit 15g

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Typical HF. Since its a smidge over $5 million it's a bad contract. If he was a smidge under it would be a good contract.

No, 5.1 Million is an ok contract for someoen who can put up more than 40 points. Theres a world of difference.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
At first i was shocked but honestly he’s only overpaid by about 750k.

There are areas of ice hockey that players can contribute other than points...

Reactions: philip

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Typical HF. Since its a smidge over $5 million it's a bad contract. If it was a smidge under it would be a good contract.

I wouldn't want Wilson on my team for over $3 million, maybe $3.5 million if I'm really desperate for a complementary power forward. It's just a bad contract because he's not a $5 million player.

I mean, Wilson now makes essentially the same amount of money as Hertl.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
? Oshie had a few 50 point seasons before his contract and has been great for the Caps since day 1.

The fact that Wilson is now making almost as much as Oshie is bad...as Oshie is much better.

He was a RFA with no real good season yet...How the hell didn't the caps get Wilson for 3-4 mil per is beyond me. Horrible management.
Oshie is good defensively but not as much as Wilson, and the gap in their skating is huge. Wilson is low-key really really fast, and there's nobody else around his size that even comes close. That's gonna become a huge asset as we keep moving towards being much more of a skating league. The guy absolutely dominated the speed teams this Spring.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
A 24 y old winger that could only score 35 points while playing a whole season with Ovechkin AND Kuznetsov should never get that kind of money, ever.

Andrew Shaw/Bryan Bickell 2.0, but just way way worse contract-wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad