Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Tom Wilson (6 years, 5.17M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
To not sign him to a bad deal?

And fwiw, I have said multiple times on my team board that I would love a Tom Wilson type. So I am no hater.
Another Tom Wilson type doesn't exist. He has grown from a worse Lucic clone to his own beast in the last few years.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Seems high, but he’s a pretty effective player considering all he brings to the table. I still hate him, but at least can recognize that he’s not some plug, as some are suggesting.

In 4 years his deal may look like a steal, relative to the league at that caphit.

Reactions: GoCaps2004

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Stupid GM'ing is alive and well.

the Chicago Blackhawks laid out the blueprint perfectly.
1) identify and pay your core players
2) trade all your complementary and fringe players at a premium price.

Bingo.

Even if Wilson is special, the difference between him and someone like Pat Maroon isn't nearly worth the difference in cap. Trade Wilson for picks and prospects, sign the latter to a short term deal.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I LOVE TOM WILSON. Every team needs someone like him to win a Cup and he's a solid two-way. But $5.2 million a year? He's basically a better version of Zach Kassian who makes less than $2m/year.. This contract is an overpayment by about $1.5m.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Seems high, but he’s a pretty effective player considering all he brings to the table. I still hate him, but at least can recognize that he’s not some plug, as some are suggesting.

In 4 years his deal may look like a steal, relative to the league at that caphit.

I feel like fans everywhere are falling into this trap while not realizing the cap is probably going to fall during the next lockout. There has to be some sort of ceiling that the cap settles at, and it's only going to get worse when players do stupid things like take less money to go to the Olympics.

PsYcNeT

The No-Fun Zone
Jan 24, 2007
We would have had to overpay Lindholm as well. Also not having to pay Hanifin like a top pairing guy even though his play isn't even close to warranting that helps too.

Food for thought, Lindholm is getting paid less than Tom Wilson.

Also TBH I don't think Hanifin is going to get more than ~5, probably less if Calgary ends up bridging him.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
CDh8.gif

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
What first liners on stanley cup winning teams get under 5.5?
Come on now. He's not a first liner just because that's where he played. The reality is that because of the salary cap you often have to play non top 6 players in your top 6 and its up to your stars to carry the load. Wilson is a nice complementary piece that you can use in your top 6 if you have elite players. It's no different than Patrick Maroon and how he's been used.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Another Tom Wilson type doesn't exist. He has grown from a worse Lucic clone to his own beast in the last few years.

Sure, he's unique but that doesn't really confer the sort of value that you think it does. He can't be easily replaced, but the difference between the real and the "next best thing" isn't worth an extra $3M+.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Food for thought, Lindholm is getting paid less than Tom Wilson.

Also TBH I don't think Hanifin is going to get more than ~5, probably less if Calgary ends up bridging him.
95% of contracts look good compared to Wilson's new contract, that doesn't exactly mean much...

Hanifin should get less than 5 million until he doesn't have to be sheltered on a bottom pairing. Probably closer to 3 or 3.5 on a mid term deal. I can understand maybe giving him more in the hopes he finally turns the corner with his play but that is a pretty decent gamble right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad