Value of: WSH / MTL: If the Caps intend to compete while Ovy's still around what would they give for PMD Mike Matheson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I've noticed the Caps have an interesting cap situation with a lot of commitments both up front and on D. The media says they're not done. I think they can use more scoring from the back-end and support RD John Carlson more (either on the same pairing or in waves). In Montreal we have LD Mike Matheson with two years left at 4.875m, he just had a pretty damn good year, 62pts in 82gp, for a pretty damn bad team.

The Habs don't need to sell Matheson and I reckon a lot of fans will object but I'm curious to see what his value is to the Caps for instance.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Why add another point man? Pittsburgh showed that adding a second one in Karlsson only made Letang less effective. I don't see why you would give up even more futures to do that.

Reactions: Altimus

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
And he's not getting top PP minute in Washington so his production will drop. Pump your brakes and hold him until the trade deadline and if he's producing like this past-season, expect a late 1st and a B level prospect.

Reactions: Altimus

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Why add another point man? Pittsburgh showed that adding a second one in Karlsson only made Letang less effective. I don't see why you would give up even more futures to do that.
If you remove all of Matheson's PP points (28 PP pts) his remaining 34pts would be the second best on the Caps this past season. The Caps' other dmen don't produce enough. *IF* they intend to do something in the regular season + playoffs, it can't just come from Ovy and Carlson.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Caps MO right now is to buy low. They are making moves designed keep them competitive without mortgaging their top young players, prospects and picks.

Unless the Habs are intending to sell low on Matheson, I don’t see how he fits what they are doing at all. The Caps aren’t trading 1st rounders or top prospects and young players from their system.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
It would make a lot more sense to acquire a RHD. It works better feeding Ovi on the powerplay and our left side is pretty much set.

Acquiring another left defenseman pushes Alexeyev out and he's at least shown he should get an opportunity to be the sixth defenseman.

Moving out one of TVR/Jensen and getting a puck mover on the right side would be ideal.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Are Habs fans just going to make a mike matheson threads for every single team????? This is getting kind of annoying and I am a Habs fan sheesh.....

Yes, it's going to be frequent. Matheson has 2 years left and is producing very well on a value contract. Habs are not moving the needle in those 2 years. Matheson is one of the best puck movers so he does have good trade value and could help other teams more than us.

Savard's name will be brought up a lot too.

• Haha
Reactions: MileHighCapsFan

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It would make a lot more sense to acquire a RHD. It works better feeding Ovi on the powerplay and our left side is pretty much set.

Acquiring another left defenseman pushes Alexeyev out and he's at least shown he should get an opportunity to be the sixth defenseman.

Moving out one of TVR/Jensen and getting a puck mover on the right side would be ideal.

A puck mover on the RD side is almost impossible. Those who have it are not trading it. Habs had Guhle playing RD with Matheson. If Matheson had RD ability, we would have tried it. So if that is the search, Matheson doesn't fit the puck mover RD side.

What about both Matheson and Savard? Habs can retain 50% on one of them to make it more attractive in the cap. We can also dangle futures with them. Jets 1st, Flames 1st, Mesar... those kind of types.

Matheson / Carlson
Sandin / Savard.
Alexeyev / Jenson or TVR.

I think Savard would be a great RD for Sandin and if he fades, Alexeyev can fill that spot. Let them battle for it. Savard is not a puck mover but he might be the best fit in terms of making the D stronger and not exposing the goalie.

E Bear and/or Fehervary could be a piece going the other way (cap reasons). Habs would be looking at Leonard or Lapierre.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
A puck mover on the RD side is almost impossible. Those who have it are not trading it. Habs had Guhle playing RD with Matheson. If Matheson had RD ability, we would have tried it. So if that is the search, Matheson doesn't fit the puck mover RD side.

What about both Matheson and Savard? Habs can retain 50% on one of them to make it more attractive in the cap. We can also dangle futures with them. Jets 1st, Flames 1st, Mesar... those kind of types.

Matheson / Carlson
Sandin / Savard.

I think Savard would be a great RD for Sandin and if he fades, Alexeyev can fill that spot. Let them battle for it.

E Bear and/or Fehervary could be a piece going the other way (cap reasons). Habs would be looking at Leonard or Lapierre.
Hilarious. Fehervary wouldn’t be going back for any reason let alone “cap reasons” and the Habs can look at Leonard or Lapierre all they want…the thought that they would even be mentioned would be absurd. It doesn’t matter how many of your 30+ blueliners you try to package together.

This is pure delusion. Once again - the Caps have shown no willingness to mortgage their future to keep the Ovie window open. They are making buy-low moves on the edges. They are not going to trade their future for multiple older defensemen. This isn’t that hard.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hilarious. Fehervary wouldn’t be going back for any reason let alone “cap reasons” and the Habs can look at Leonard or Lapierre all they want…the thought that they would even be mentioned would be absurd.

This is pure delusion.

Matheson has great trade value. 60 pts on a value contract for 2 years, and if we retain 50%, it's very high end trade value. No delusion there.

Savard is a very steady RD who is a great piece to pair with someone like Sandin. Protects him and Sandin had the worse +/- on the Caps D last year. He needs someone who can fill the D side and physicality side as his partner. No delusion there.

Leonard is a grade A for me. Matheson at 50% retention with Savard and the Jets 1st would make this close. I get it, you think you deserve more. I'm OK with no replies. Go shove your delusion words of choice somewhere else.

Lapierre is a strong middle 6F type who is NHL ready. Outside chance he reaches top 6F level.

I don't care about Fehervary being a cap going the other way or not. It's a minuscule part of this conversation. Focusing on that means you are easily distracted and lack focus.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Caps MO right now is to buy low. They are making moves designed keep them competitive without mortgaging their top young players, prospects and picks.

Unless the Habs are intending to sell low on Matheson, I don’t see how he fits what they are doing at all. The Caps aren’t trading 1st rounders or top prospects and young players from their system.

I bet you if someone posted a PLD for Kuemper trade before it happened, Caps fans would have said where is the retention and where is the futures! A lot of "ridiculous" comments would be said.

A lot of fans and media will be looking at the Caps now. Do they stay in no mans land with the terms they have left for several of their players or do they try to make more moves? Will be interesting to see because I don't think they are done yet and they do need improvements on D IMO.

Doesn't have to be a trade with the Habs but I do see the Caps looking to improve the D and protect the goalie a bit more.

Looks like a 2 year window to try to win to me. Then a retool and Ovi probably retires after he breaks the record. 2 more years should do it.

I've noticed the Caps have an interesting cap situation with a lot of commitments both up front and on D. The media says they're not done. I think they can use more scoring from the back-end and support RD John Carlson more (either on the same pairing or in waves). In Montreal we have LD Mike Matheson with two years left at 4.875m, he just had a pretty damn good year, 62pts in 82gp, for a pretty damn bad team.

The Habs don't need to sell Matheson and I reckon a lot of fans will object but I'm curious to see what his value is to the Caps for instance.

Only 2 pieces the Habs would want are Lapierre or Leonard. Cap fans don't appear open to that or even talking deeper pieces after Matheson. I don't see this one gaining any traction like so many of these trade ideas.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Matheson has great trade value. 60 pts on a value contract for 2 years, and if we retain 50%, it's very high end trade value. No delusion there.

Savard is a very steady RD who is a great piece to pair with someone like Sandin. Protects him and Sandin had the worse +/- on the Caps D last year. He needs someone who can fill the D side and physicality side as his partner. No delusion there.

Leonard is a grade A for me. Matheson at 50% retention with Savard and the Jets 1st would make this close. I get it, you think you deserve more. I'm OK with no replies. Go shove your delusion words of choice somewhere else.

Lapierre is a strong middle 6F type who is NHL ready. Outside chance he reaches top 6F level.

I don't care about Fehervary being a cap going the other way or not. It's a minuscule part of this conversation. Focusing on that means you are easily distracted and lack focus.
This is insane

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
What's the definition of "compete." Barely make the postseason and immeditely get bounced? Likely doable.

Compete for a cup? Not happening. They are closer to a full rebuild than a cup imo. Similar to Pittsburgh.

Matheson doesn't do much to help them towards a cup.

Reactions: MileHighCapsFan

Drive425

Jul 24, 2006
St Louis Du Haha
oh-no-planet-of-the-apes.gif

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I mean if he's available for next to nothing, sure.

Caps want to add without giving up futures so Free Agency is likely the way to go.

These teams aren't really good trade partners.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
An argument can be made they need both. But when I look at the roster and their plans to still compete, I see needs to be stronger on D. Yeah, they got some pieces signed but that's not going to turn the needle.
so your argument is to take their best forward prospects and trade them for one defender where you just said they need both forwards and defenders. how does this make sense?

Reactions: Bluenotes27

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

Matheson / Carlson
Sandin / Savard.

I think Savard would be a great RD for Sandin and if he fades, Alexeyev can fill that spot. Let them battle for it. Savard is not a puck mover but he might be the best fit in terms of making the D stronger and not exposing the goalie.

Martin Fehervary is better than Mike Matheson and you have him as a "throw in for cap reasons"

• Haha
Reactions: Miller Time

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
I bet you if someone posted a PLD for Kuemper trade before it happened, Caps fans would have said where is the retention and where is the futures! A lot of "ridiculous" comments would be said.

A lot of fans and media will be looking at the Caps now. Do they stay in no mans land with the terms they have left for several of their players or do they try to make more moves? Will be interesting to see because I don't think they are done yet and they do need improvements on D IMO.

Doesn't have to be a trade with the Habs but I do see the Caps looking to improve the D and protect the goalie a bit more.

Looks like a 2 year window to try to win to me. Then a retool and Ovi probably retires after he breaks the record. 2 more years should do it.

Only 2 pieces the Habs would want are Lapierre or Leonard. Cap fans don't appear open to that or even talking deeper pieces after Matheson. I don't see this one gaining any traction like so many of these trade ideas.

This is close to Caps fan offering you Jensen (@50%), TvR and Caps 1st for Reinbacher. And maybe Caps takes Guhle back for cap reasons.

Caps just want nothing to do with trading Leonard or Lapierre if Matheson is the key piece coming back. Adding quantity is not going to turn it over.

Thats not taking shots at Matheson, who is fine. Its taking shots at the trade proposal, which is not fine.

Something like Matheson for Alexeyeev and a 3rd could get some discussion going, but if you think Matheson is worth more and you are only interested in Leonard or Lapierre, then Caps is not the team you want to discuss. Caps isnt sacrificing premium future assets for a 30 year old dman with two years of control, especially when its not someone who moves the needle.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is close to Caps fan offering you Jensen (@50%), TvR and Caps 1st for Reinbacher. And maybe Caps takes Guhle back for cap reasons.

No, it's not close to that. Exaggeration doesn't help in terms of having any meaningful conversations. Matheson at 50% is substantially worth more than Jenson at 50% retention. You're going to make yourself look bad with that kind of narrative and it becomes a derail.

Reinbacher is close to Leonard value though. However, Caps and Habs are at different spots in direction. Lapierre is NHL ready so I can see the Caps wanting to use him on the roster during their chase to remain competitive and also having something left after contracts expire.

I'm OK with a no answer. But far to many fans are here to belittle and exaggerate and conversations go nowhere. Matheson is being shopped by Habs fans and you would to if you were in our shoes. Matheson helps a playoff team more than the Habs in the next two years. He's a rare puck mover and put up 60 pts. Way too many fans are spending too much energy to devalue him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad