Value of: WSH / MTL: If the Caps intend to compete while Ovy's still around what would they give for PMD Mike Matheson?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
His Defense is not much different than looking at Sergachev, Chabot, Bouchard, Rielly. That list is pretty long and Matheson is on a value contract which is a substantial difference. But some fans are saying he is the worse or one of the worse in his own end. Nah, I don't see it that way. Not with his time on the Habs in his late 20's anyways. What I see is fans thinking he's the same guy when he was age 25 and it's impossible for him to improve at his late 20's. That's what I am seeing.

Caps say no. I get it. But if fans want to be ignorant towards Matheson and try devalue attempts, don't be surprised it's defended. Do you know who is bad in his own end? Sandin!

Time to shut this one down. Caps don't have interest and all you see now is Matheson value debates.

These players also have better puck skills than Matheson.

(They're also paid more and one of the reasons Matheson has pretty decent value is his caphit)

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
His Defense is not much different than looking at Sergachev, Chabot, Bouchard, Rielly. That list is pretty long and Matheson is on a value contract which is a substantial difference. But some fans are saying he is the worse or one of the worse in his own end. Nah, I don't see it that way. Not with his time on the Habs in his late 20's anyways. What I see is fans thinking he's the same guy when he was age 25 and it's impossible for him to improve at his late 20's. That's what I am seeing.

Caps say no. I get it. But if fans want to be ignorant towards Matheson and try devalue attempts, don't be surprised it's defended. Do you know who is bad in his own end? Sandin!

Time to shut this one down. Caps don't have interest and all you see now is Matheson value debates.

Seems more like you’ve danced the Matheson dance before and got very defensive on the subject. This topic isnt about Matheson being bad, but the trade proposal being bad. And there seems to be pretty much consensus on that.

So seems like you are the one not agreeing to disagree in a spirit of conversation.

You then have yourself said Fehervary is such a minor piece and cap throw in that he is not worthy to be focused on, and that Sandin is bad defensively. Thats devaluing, and unnecessary too. You brought those names up just to tell they arent good. You should expect to get some backslash for picking a fight like that.

And just to ”have a conversation”, i dont think you’ll find many Caps fans signing on a Fehervary for Matheson trade straight up. or Jensen for Savard straight up.

Reactions: AllAlphas

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
The desperation of Habs fans to dump Matheson after a career season can be smelled easily from Alberta. They know he's not really a top 4 guy. It's kind of how I felt when Monahan had his 82 point season.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
What's the definition of "compete." Barely make the postseason and immeditely get bounced? Likely doable.

Compete for a cup? Not happening. They are closer to a full rebuild than a cup imo. Similar to Pittsburgh.

Matheson doesn't do much to help them towards a cup.
The question is what does the Caps owner want to do?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I've noticed the Caps have an interesting cap situation with a lot of commitments both up front and on D. The media says they're not done. I think they can use more scoring from the back-end and support RD John Carlson more (either on the same pairing or in waves). In Montreal we have LD Mike Matheson with two years left at 4.875m, he just had a pretty damn good year, 62pts in 82gp, for a pretty damn bad team.

The Habs don't need to sell Matheson and I reckon a lot of fans will object but I'm curious to see what his value is to the Caps for instance.
Looks like teams are bad fit. Montreal not moving Matheson easily and Washington don't have right pieces.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Seems more like you’ve danced the Matheson dance before and got very defensive on the subject. This topic isnt about Matheson being bad, but the trade proposal being bad. And there seems to be pretty much consensus on that.

So seems like you are the one not agreeing to disagree in a spirit of conversation.

You then have yourself said Fehervary is such a minor piece and cap throw in that he is not worthy to be focused on, and that Sandin is bad defensively. Thats devaluing, and unnecessary too. You brought those names up just to tell they arent good. You should expect to get some backslash for picking a fight like that.

And just to ”have a conversation”, i dont think you’ll find many Caps fans signing on a Fehervary for Matheson trade straight up. or Jensen for Savard straight up.

Seems like you are reaching to find little jabs. I have an opinion and I stand by what I said. I provided context into the reasons why I have my opinion. It's a disagreement on Matheson's trade value but because you disagree, you dig and search for stuff like this.

I don't care about Fehervary. If you like a lot, keep him. It was not a major part of this trade discussion.

• Haha

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
The desperation of Habs fans to dump Matheson after a career season can be smelled easily from Alberta. They know he's not really a top 4 guy. It's kind of how I felt when Monahan had his 82 point season.
Not all of us.

But I think Matheson’s mobility may have been very helpful to the Oilers in countering the Panthers’ suffocating forecheck. It must have been painful for Oiler fans to watch Ceci, Nurse, Bouchard, etc. flounder in their defensive zone.

MSL plays Matheson 26 to 27 minutes a game because he’s aware of his impact on the ice and both he and Hughes understand that you trade Matheson’s level of elite skating ability at your team’s peril.

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
OP here

What a pathetic and immature response to a normal hockey discussion. Useless unmonitored and unmoderated board.
People are tired of mathison being forced on them by Montreal fans! Player's like Matheson doesn't have value Montreal fans think he does because team's want defense and not an older player whose a minus and scores on PowerPoint mostly

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
People are tired of mathison being forced on them by Montreal fans! Player's like Matheson doesn't have value Montreal fans think he does because team's want defense and not an older player whose a minus and scores on PowerPoint mostly
Did my OP force Matheson on anyone?

MTL is rebuilding and WSH is making competitive moves. WSH’s defense doesn’t generate enough points. There *is* a fit. The simple question of the value was completely sidetracked by braying donkeys, likely not older than 16-17 by the looks of it.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
OP here

What a pathetic and immature response to a normal hockey discussion. Useless unmonitored and unmoderated board.

Your topic got derailed once the proposals went to targeting Caps top2 prospects and selling Matheson for us as a premium asset. He is a good player but if you are seeking an answer of what kind of value Matheson holds for Capitals, the answer is "less than for Canadiens".

Rebuilding team like Habs also need succesful veterans for the kids to look up for and you have one in Matheson. He benefits from the usage Habs are giving him, and Habs are beneficing from his success in that role. You have every reason to like him. But that role is not what he would get in Washington. So he is worth a lot more for you than he would be for Caps. You should just keep him and enjoy the ride, because the return is very unlikely better than what Matheson brings for you.

As basis Caps could propably use a mobile pmd like Matheson, but the other specifics dont add up. He is LD, over 30 and only has 2 years of control. When Caps has LD already set and as a philosophy the team is looking to get younger and to have control for the team after Ovechkin retires.

We have three 24 year old players on the left side, who all fit to their shoes right now. Fehervary is doing great paired with Carlson (whereas Matheson isnt stylistically a fit next to JC). We used a 1st for Sandin and signed him for 5 years, so we will want to give him every chance there is to develope into a real top4. Alexeyeev had a good run towards end of the season and looked ready to take the 3LD spot. Having Matheson in the mix for third pairing and with no PP time doesnt sound worth to spend the kind of assets that has been mentioned in this topic. We arent "Matheson away from becoming a contender".

But if you do have an RD, that has same abilities and is closer to his 20's than 30's, then we are highly interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad