Confirmed Trade: [WSH/LAK] Pierre-Luc Dubois for Darcy Kuemper (no salary retained)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Trade can be a win for both teams. Both players coming off of down years. Capitals have a new starter going forward and trade a bloated 1B or backup contract to L.A where he goes back to a familiar place to be their 1A. They will tandem him with Rittich.

If PLD can mature and break out or even if he tops out as a big reliable 2C at 60 ish points a year that 8.5 mil contract with the cap climbing won’t look bad at all. I did not like the way he was used in L.A but the guy also didn’t justify to the staff that he should have been used different. Hopefully he figures it out in Washington.

L.A’s biggest gain is cap space. I’m scared to see what our management team does with it. I just hope to use common sense and extended by field to a long-term contract and they don’t just bring in a bunch of overpriced retreads.

They also allow the team to start building around Byfield without a massive contract as an anchor to stop that. They retain their number one pick with I thought they would lose if they traded PLD

I’m just gonna count it as a happy day for both teams as both teams can benefit in the long run from the trade

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Caps: Alex, we just acquired a star center for you.

USATSI_13927601-e1579394952701-1024x683.jpg

Ovechkin: who?

Caps: PLD

77C0D8AE-7483-49B3-B482-836A76FAB259.jpeg

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Caps get a pretty strong 1-2 duo

Strome, 26, 1C (2015 3rd overall) | 50 goals, 130 points for the Capitals, 22-23 -> 23-24, 117 career goals, 305 career points
Dubois, 25, 2C (2016 3rd overall) | 3 x 60+ point player, 145 career goals, 350 points,

Tremendous skill duo to build on, they are young, with long contracts, just 13 million combined cap hit.
- 2 x 6 foot 3 very very skillful centers, whats not to like

I havent red all of the comments but.. i assume mot of them laugh/ridicule (at) Dubois.
This trade can be huge for the Caps. As long as Ovie retires ASAP.

In my eyes, one of the strongest center duo's in east.

Stromer's career is on a high rise, expect him to score 80-90 points next season
Dubois can easily score 60-70 points, 2C, maybe #1 PP duties

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV

Strome, 26, 1C (2015 3rd overall) | 50 goals, 130 points for the Capitals, 22-23 -> 23-24, 117 career goals, 305 career points
Dubois, 25, 2C (2016 3rd overall) | 3 x 60+ point player, 145 career goals, 350 points,

Tremendous skill duo to build on, they are young, with long contracts, just 13 million combined cap hit.

I havent red all of the comments but.. i assume mot of them laugh/ridicule (at) Dubois.

That's what Winnipeg and LA thought. "Look at his age and production history. What could go wrong?!". Then you see him play.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
This thread is just a massive shit on PLD tribute thread from the fan bases he's pissed off. No idea how he'll play in DC but they've notoriously got one of the best locker rooms in the league and a young players coach so that could be good for him. It'll be a great story if he can rebound, fit in and make a nice career for himself there. Instead of trashing him and his contract that I'm not very happy to have aquired I'll wish him well and hope for the best!

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Based on past there’s no way you can say it’s 50/50

He’s demanded a trade multiple times, shown no intrest in playing to his potential, getting to a team of his choice and still being garbage& them just being willing to dump his contract for another bad contract

But now going to a team on not choice that’s past it’s prime PLD is going to show up?

My money would be on PLD being on pretty bad moor right now. Having a 7y deal with Was..
A trade this early into the deal to a bad team should be the wake up call for him. He's just 25 and made the people who invested a f*** ton of money in him just a year ago want him outta there. Whatever issues he's had with CBJ and Jets in the past there's no bigger reason for a sense of urgency about his career than this one.

I do think it's a 50/50 because we've got a solid sample size of him acting immature and irresponsible but also the stakes were never bigger for him than rignt now. It's a prove everybody wrong or get bought out and call it a day at this point. Nobody ever trades for him to give him any significant role in the future if he botches this.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Because of both (Connor/Dubois). Talent needs to play with talent and it applies to Dubois more than most IMO. Not the type to lead a line by himself.

If he was such a problem, tell me why team Canada had him on the team? The Dubois at the WC's was pretty good. Jets really did want to keep him and tried hard to extend him. That does not indicate a problem child to me. In other cases (Trouba for example), he demanded a trade and ended up going to the team of his choice from the beginning. Now the Caps have traded for him. That tells me teams still think he is effective but fans are on his back for wanting out of two teams now and then the 3rd team is not a good fit. The 3rd team is more on the Kings than Dubois. They are the ones who dug deep to acquire and sign the big contract.

I remember hearing the Kings in on Dubois (pre trade). There was some talk among fans as why would the Kings do this? They have good center depth and should probably allocate that cap space for D. Then the other talk was what center gets moved to wing? Personally, I was thinking it was Dubois because I feel is more of a power forward winger than a true type center. Kings did try him in a few spots yes but it was a small sample. He played 3C most of the season. If your plan as a manager is to let the player self motivate, you don't have a good plan. Regardless of if you think they should be self motivated due to the money. It's a relative world.

In the first 13 games, Dubois had 8 pts with 4 goals (17 min/game). Went downhill from there. I know most of you don't agree, but blame goes to both Dubois and the Kings usage/management.

Dubois should have just waited for UFA and signed with the team of his choice. My hunch tells me that his agent found out what the Habs would offer for a contract and it was not close to what the Kings offered so he choose to sign.
Team Canada didn't exactly have a lot of options while the NHL playoffs were in full swing. He wouldn't make Team Canada as a first or even second choice if all options are available. Did he put work in at the tournament? Yes. But that is a tournament setting with a short burst of effort in a few games. Maybe that's why Washington approved the trade.

Yes, I believed the trade made no sense in the first place, especially since PLD was not a no brainer over Vilardi who had just come off a season where he looked like he was getting it together and making a lot of progress. Even if PLD was a 60pt player(roughly his career average) last season, he's still not worth that contract, an extension that never should have been made before he played a game with his history. So yeah, Kings management f***ed up. In a lot of ways, this was like the Kovalchuk debacle. But I never saw Kovalchuk dogging it on the ice despite his misuse and PLD seems to make enemies in the locker room fairly quickly.

Reactions: Viqsi

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Team Canada didn't exactly have a lot of options while the NHL playoffs were in full swing. He wouldn't make Team Canada as a first or even second choice if all options are available. Did he put work in at the tournament? Yes. But that is a tournament setting with a short burst of effort in a few games. Maybe that's why Washington approved the trade.

Yes, I believed the trade made no sense in the first place, especially since PLD was not a no brainer over Vilardi who had just come off a season where he looked like he was getting it together and making a lot of progress. Even if PLD was a 60pt player(roughly his career average) last season, he's still not worth that contract, an extension that never should have been made before he played a game with his history. So yeah, Kings management f***ed up. In a lot of ways, this was like the Kovalchuk debacle. But I never saw Kovalchuk dogging it on the ice despite his misuse and PLD seems to make enemies in the locker room fairly quickly.

Haha. Congrats for reaching on that one. I'm pretty sure team Canada would have center options if they thought Dubois was cancer like so many ignorant fans think on these boards. He's much better than most are willing to admit. Are the Jets crazy for wanting him to stay and extend? NO!

The Kings simply didn't have a good spot for Dubois and a lot of us talked about this a fair amount (pre trade). Should have used him as a power forward winger vs 3C. Makes no sense to pay that price and go Torts level on him when he has some bad games. That's not how you manage someone you just signed 8x $8.5M. Kings go lucky with circumstance... Caps needed a center.

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
Haha. Congrats for reaching on that one. I'm pretty sure team Canada would have center options if they thought Dubois was cancer like so many ignorant fans think on these boards. He's much better than most are willing to admit. Are the Jets crazy for wanting him to stay and extend? NO!

The Kings simply didn't have a good spot for Dubois and a lot of us talked about this a fair amount (pre trade). Should have used him as a power forward winger vs 3C. Makes no sense to pay that price and go Torts level on him when he has some bad games. That's not how you manage someone you just signed 8x $8.5M. Kings go lucky with circumstance... Caps needed a center.
Dude let it go. No other Habs fan except you and one or two other still defend this loser because he's French. Language and place of birth are worthless and won't magically make him a good player worth acquiring.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Playing hockey in June is stupid. Game 7 should have been at the end of May at the latest. NHL is the only hockey league who likes playing deep into the summer, all other leagues ended games a long, long time ago.

Liiga, for example, had the last game of the finals on April 28.

Yeah, not playing a winter sport in the summer. A shocking concept!

Those leagues also have much shorter seasons and less teams.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
This thread is just a massive shit on PLD tribute thread from the fan bases he's pissed off. No idea how he'll play in DC but they've notoriously got one of the best locker rooms in the league and a young players coach so that could be good for him. It'll be a great story if he can rebound, fit in and make a nice career for himself there. Instead of trashing him and his contract that I'm not very happy to have aquired I'll wish him well and hope for the best!

How does a team 'notoriously have one of the best locker rooms in the league' and how can that even be sourced?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Dude let it go. No other Habs fan except you and one or two other still defend this loser because he's French. Language and place of birth are worthless and won't magically make him a good player worth acquiring.

Don't tell others to stop. It's an open chat where anybody can chime in. You think he is horrible, some others don't. Jets wanted to extend him and have a good idea on what kind of player he is. Caps just traded for him. Not everyone is on the Dubois hate bandwagon.

I'm a Habs fans but not French. I live in Halifax. So your defending French guys narrative is not accurate.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Hard to say but then again the Habs are only going to make a ply for him if he's a 60ish point center and looks better than he did in LA and thus carry more value.

NJ gave up that package for only 2 years of Marstrom anyways so any potential Habs/Caps deal with the caps retaining is going to be in the neighborhood of the NJ deal one would think as the Cap will be going up as well in future years.
I really don't think WSH is getting a 1st and/or a good young player for PLD even at 1-2M discount.

I'd have to think about it more. Guys like Harris and Barron I'm sure would be on the table.

I also think IF Habs are interested, they would trade for him this summer before PLD has ability to prove himself again. While his value is still low. If PLD rebounds and pots 60+ points, I doubt WSH would want to trade him and would rather keep him at that point.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
McDavid has more points in 23 playoff games than PLD had in an entire regular season.

I can see PLD being out of the league in two years or so.

Comparing to McDavid and then proceeding to say Dubois will be out of the league in two years or so.

Bold bud, very bold statement. Do you want to bet on this? How confident are you with your exaggeration?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hockey is so weird I won't be shocked if PLD is pretty good in Washington. They've done well with making Strome into a solid player.

Every consider usage/ice time/opportunity?

Dubois going from 3C/15 min a game to 1C/20 min a game and you will be shocked if he is pretty good? What ice time difference did you think Strome had before and after the Caps? When I look at Strome's ice time and production, I see it being hand/hand. Happened with the Hawks in 18/19 too. Go fact check it.

I really don't think WSH is getting a 1st and/or a good young player for PLD even at 1-2M discount.

I'd have to think about it more. Guys like Harris and Barron I'm sure would be on the table.

I also think IF Habs are interested, they would trade for him this summer before PLD has ability to prove himself again. While his value is still low. If PLD rebounds and pots 60+ points, I doubt WSH would want to trade him and would rather keep him at that point.

My gut or hunch tells me the Habs want nothing to do with Dubois at a $8.5M hit. And Dubois/Agent found that out before they decided to agree with the sign/trade with the Kings.

Did the Habs talk with the Kings? No idea. But if we did, we were sending cap anchor contracts back and also asking for retention. Bad idea to bring in Dubois where his AAV is higher than Suzuki. I've said this a fair amount before.

Reactions: HabzSauce

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Comparing to McDavid and then proceeding to say Dubois will be out of the league in two years or so.

Bold bud, very bold statement. Do you want to bet on this? How confident are you with your exaggeration?
You think it's an exaggeration to say he could be out of the league in two years? I don't.

I'm not your bud either.

kingsholygrail

Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia

PLD had a decent tournament but Kevin Fiala was the MVP.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
PLD had a decent tournament but Kevin Fiala was the MVP.

Sure but the point here is Both the Jets and Caps wanted/welcome him and team Canada picked him for their WC's team. He performed well and this whole he is cancer narrative is some internet bandwagon party.

Overpaid? Yes.
Not Consistent? Yes
Undervalued? Yes
Belongs in the top 6 base on his AAV? Yes

We will see how he does with more usage on the Caps. This story/rollercoaster is not over yet.

kingsholygrail

Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Sure but the point here is Both the Jets and Caps wanted/welcome him and team Canada picked him for their WC's team. He performed well and this whole he is cancer narrative is some internet bandwagon party.

Overpaid? Yes.
Not Consistent? Yes
Undervalued? Yes
Belongs in the top 6 base on his AAV? Yes

We will see how he does with more usage on the Caps. This story/rollercoaster is not over yet.
The Jets welcomed him so much they traded him to the Kings rather than extending his contract.

Reactions: slurpee addict

kingbrath

Jul 15, 2002
Calgary, AB
Visit site

- 2 x 6 foot 3 very very skillful centers, whats not to like

Stromer's career is on a high rise, expect him to score 80-90 points next season
Dubois can easily score 60-70 points, 2C, maybe #1 PP duties
This is not going to age well... Trust me, I thought the same last year. PLD shows no urgency or emotion, he is very frustrating to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad