Proposal: Wpg - mtl

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Oleg Petrov

Jun 15, 2008
To MTL:
Tobias Enstrom 32, LHD, $5.75 for 16-17 & 17-18, No Move Clause and is required to be protected in Expansion.

To WPG:
Alex Emelin 30, LHD, $4.1 for 16-17 & 17-18, No Trade Clause and is NOT required to be protected in Expansion.

Why?

MTL: Get a puck moving LHD who can play with Weber on their 1st pairing. Lose a D protection spot which will either expose Beaulieu or make them protect 4 D.

WPG: Downgrade from a puck mover to a more physical player, but gain the expansion spot on D. Also save cash.

Enstrom: Waives to go to Montreal as opposed to being asked to waive his no move for purposes of Expansion next year. Would rather play for a contender then an Expansion team.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Yeah this is a no from both sides. Enstrom is a valuable part of our top 4, especially with Myers being a question mark (and yes, other Jets fans, until we see him play, he is a question mark), and downgrading is not something we can afford to do with our LHD depth being shaky already. While saving cash and a protection spot aren't bad things in vacuum, I value Enstrom more than them two combined.

On the other hand, Montreal would gain another NMC, which would be their third defenseman with the clause. That leaves Beaulieu exposed, which won't be received well here. Also, I don't think the deal would work cap wise for Montreal.

Oleg Petrov

Jun 15, 2008
Yeah this is a no from both sides. Enstrom is a valuable part of our top 4, especially with Myers being a question mark (and yes, other Jets fans, until we see him play, he is a question mark), and downgrading is not something we can afford to do with our LHD depth being shaky already. While saving cash and a protection spot aren't bad things in vacuum, I value Enstrom more than them two combined.

On the other hand, Montreal would gain another NMC, which would be their third defenseman with the clause. That leaves Beaulieu exposed, which won't be received well here. Also, I don't think the deal would work cap wise for Montreal.

I think if it happened they protect:
Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Shaw
Weber, Petry, Enstrom, Beaulieu

Leaving Plekanec exposes, although I don't think he gets claimed at that dollar amount.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Big no from this Jets fan. MTL would need to add something else of pretty good value here. If Enstrom was available, I'm sure we would fetch a significant better return from another team.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

I believe only Petry has a NMC.

Indeed, Weber doesn't have a NMC, Subban had one that had yet to be activated and now never will be.

I think if it happened they protect:
Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Shaw
Weber, Petry, Enstrom, Beaulieu

Leaving Plekanec exposes, although I don't think he gets claimed at that dollar amount.

Plekanec would definitely be claimed. Not a lot of center of his caliber will be exposed.

Oleg Petrov

Jun 15, 2008
Indeed, Weber doesn't have a NMC, Subban had one that had yet to be activated and now never will be.

Plekanec would definitely be claimed. Not a lot of center of his caliber will be exposed.

one year left at $6.0. That seems like poor asset management by Vegas.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Pretty sure Montreal would protect Weber though

Weber, Petry and Beaulieu are most like being protected. They'd expose Emelin. Not crazy about the idea of having to protect 4 dmen in order to not lose Beaulieu and only being able to protect 4 forwards. So while Enstrom would be an upgrade, not enough of one to create a bad expansion draft scenario. Plus, the extra cap hit would hurt.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
Weber, Petry and Beaulieu are most like being protected. They'd expose Emelin. Not crazy about the idea of having to protect 4 dmen in order to not lose Beaulieu and only being able to protect 4 forwards. So while Enstrom would be an upgrade, not enough of one to create a bad expansion draft scenario. Plus, the extra cap hit would hurt.

Who are those 7 forwards that Montreal needs to protect? I'd rather have Enstrom in Montreal than Emelin and Desharnais/Andrighetto/Mitchell/Danault/Flynn/Byron/Desharnais. Plekanec will likely not get claimed, as he will only have 1 year left on his contract. It's possible but a team will likely pick a young guy like Andrighetto or Danault

Also, I don't think Montreal needs to honor Enstrom NMC clause if he gets traded.

Oleg Petrov

Jun 15, 2008
Who are those 7 forwards that Montreal needs to protect? I'd rather have Enstrom in Montreal then Emelin and Desharnais/Andrighetto/Mitchell/Danault/Flynn/Byron/Desharnais. Plekanec will likely not get claimed, as he will only have 1 year left on his contract. It's possible but a team will likely pick a young guy like Andrighetto or Danault

nail on head

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
To MTL:
Tobias Enstrom 32, LHD, $5.75 for 16-17 & 17-18, No Move Clause and is required to be protected in Expansion.

To WPG:
Alex Emelin 30, LHD, $4.1 for 16-17 & 17-18, No Trade Clause and is NOT required to be protected in Expansion.

Why?

MTL: Get a puck moving LHD who can play with Weber on their 1st pairing. Lose a D protection spot which will either expose Beaulieu or make them protect 4 D.

WPG: Downgrade from a puck mover to a more physical player, but gain the expansion spot on D. Also save cash.

Enstrom: Waives to go to Montreal as opposed to being asked to waive his no move for purposes of Expansion next year. Would rather play for a contender then an Expansion team.

Heck yes from Montreal. I'm a big fan of Enstrom and think he'd be a great fit in Montreal and alongside Weber. Worry about expansion problems next summer.

one year left at $6.0. That seems like poor asset management by Vegas.

Do you really think Vegas will have 14 more valuable assets exposed to them in the expansion draft that are more valuable than Plekanec? He has no trade restrictions on his contract and could easily be dealt for a tidy return at the deadline (with salary retained) to a contender. Or he could be re-signed and be a valuable, versatile veteran presence on what will likely be a young team for the next 3 or 4 years.

Edit: Vegas has to hit the salary floor - short term contracts like this for quality veterans are more likely to attract them than scare them away IMO.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Who are those 7 forwards that Montreal needs to protect? I'd rather have Enstrom in Montreal than Emelin and Desharnais/Andrighetto/Mitchell/Danault/Flynn/Byron/Desharnais. Plekanec will likely not get claimed, as he will only have 1 year left on his contract. It's possible but a team will likely pick a young guy like Andrighetto or Danault

Also, I don't think Montreal needs to honor Enstrom NMC clause if he gets traded.

Not 7, but more than 4. Just makes things more flexible. I'm guessing prior to the expansion draft teams will be looking to make trades to avoid having to expose players. Might be able to snag a forward or two at a good price under that scenario. Be nice to have 7 protection spots.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
Not 7, but more than 4. Just makes things more flexible. I'm guessing prior to the expansion draft teams will be looking to make trades to avoid having to expose players. Might be able to snag a forward or two at a good price under that scenario. Be nice to have 7 protection spots.

Would be nice but Enstrom is an awesome second pairing dman. It's the kind of deal you have to make. Better that than possible other transactions that might not happen

Anyway, pretty sure Winipeg could get more for him, although Enstrom has the final word with his NMC

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
We take on a completly terrible player and ruin our entire left side defence all so we can maybe keep a player like Armia or Lowry next year at expansion?

Lol, no

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg will lose one of Perreault, Lowry, Dano or Copp.

If you do this trade you can protect 3 of those 4.

Enstrom > Emelin (a cap dump) + one of Lowry, Dano or Copp.

Perreault will be protected along with Wheeler, Scheifele and Little

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad