Proposal: Wpg - mtl

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Oleg Petrov

Jun 15, 2008
We take on a completly terrible player and ruin our entire left side defence all so we can maybe keep a player like Armia or Lowry next year at expansion?

Lol, no

That's a little unfair. Emelin is solid, you also have Morrissey who is ready on the left as well.

I'm also not opposed to the notion that MTL has to add here. But the boxes keep getting checked in favor of Winnipeg.

This also gives Winnipeg flexibility to acquire potential unprotected players.

Better question. If Enstrom didn't have a No Move Clause would he be protected??? If so, then I agree with you Jets fans.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
We take on a completly terrible player and ruin our entire left side defence all so we can maybe keep a player like Armia or Lowry next year at expansion?

Lol, no

Haha the basis for this trade for the Jets is seemingly "shoot yourselves in the foot now to empty the gun so you don't accidentally shoot yourself in the foot later"

Emelin isn't even half as good as Enstrom. The Jets can afford to lose a depth forward.

Gabriel Landeskog

Aug 25, 2006
That's a little unfair. Emelin is solid, you also have Morrissey who is ready on the left as well.

I'm also not opposed to the notion that MTL has to add here. But the boxes keep getting checked in favor of Winnipeg.

Better question. If Enstrom didn't have a No Move Clause would he be protected??? If so, then I agree with you Jets fans.

You have and will not see a Jets fan checking any boxes saying this is in their favour. Whom ever Jets lose in expansion draft Dano, Lowry, Armia etc they already have replacements in Petan, lemieux, Roslovic etc..

Only thing that would change that mentality would be if any of Dano, Armia, Lowry force their hands by breaking out this season but even then I would expect Winnipeg to shop for expansion draft exempt players and highly doubt out of all offers Emelin would be the most enticing piece.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Winnipeg will lose one of Perreault, Lowry, Dano or Copp.

If you do this trade you can protect 3 of those 4.

Uh, Winnipeg will likely protect Perreault as one of four forwards and then protect four D. Their risk of losing any key players is minimal as their roster is very young. They may lose one of the other lower-line players you noted, and they can easily and seamlessly replace them with one of the myriad of other forwards they own.

Pass.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Wow zero interest in Alex, that would be ugly. Ugh

Jets could get much better for Toby if we did trade him. Terribly OP offer for Toby.

Easy, fast and hard pass from Jets. Yuk

Oleg Petrov

Jun 15, 2008
Wow zero interest in Alex, that would be ugly. Ugh

Jets could get much better for Toby if we did trade him. Terribly OP offer for Toby.

Easy, fast and hard pass from Jets. Yuk

I hear ya Jets fans, I get it.

Now, from a different POV....What would it take to get Enstrom from your clutches? I assume another LHD. So let's start with Beaulieu, what would the Habs need to add?

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg

Morrissey definitely isn't ready for a top 4 role right now. Maybe he's eased into one at some point this year but that's still a pretty big if.

Yes he would. Regardless of his NMC we're likely to keep 4 d. One of Perrault, Lawry, Armia or Dano will probably be taken but we would have to expose 1 even if we did 7/3 (I guess then we'd get to pick which one would be exposed but that luxury isn't worth enstrom in any scenario)

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Andrew Copp is significantly worse than the other 3.

Copp doesn’t need to be protected, he played only one pro game prior to this year.

Perreault will be the 4th forward the Jets protect, he won’t be exposed. The Jets loose one of Lowry, Burmistrov, Armia, Dano regardless of how many D they protect (assuming they don’t lose Stuart, Chiarot, or Postma which isn’t completely out of the question) At this point there isn’t a big difference.
Personally I hope we lose Stuart, and that isn’t actually impossible. He’s the type of D-man many GM’s still like.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I hear ya Jets fans, I get it.

Now, from a different POV....What would it take to get Enstrom from your clutches? I assume another LHD. So let's start with Beaulieu, what would the Habs need to add?

A lateral swap makes no sense. We would be downgrading if we traded Enstrom, which is not an option.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

He would easily be protected, as we have no one who can replace him now. We'll give Vegas one of our depth forwards and probably end up fine.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Dano and Perrault are head and shoulders more valuable then the other four so I assume they get protected.

Jets forwards exposed will likely be Mathias burmi Lowry and copp all of which are easily replaceable barring any breakout seasons in 16_17

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
To MTL:
Tobias Enstrom 32, LHD, $5.75 for 16-17 & 17-18, No Move Clause and is required to be protected in Expansion.

To WPG:
Alex Emelin 30, LHD, $4.1 for 16-17 & 17-18, No Trade Clause and is NOT required to be protected in Expansion.

Why?

MTL: Get a puck moving LHD who can play with Weber on their 1st pairing. Lose a D protection spot which will either expose Beaulieu or make them protect 4 D.

WPG: Downgrade from a puck mover to a more physical player, but gain the expansion spot on D. Also save cash.

Enstrom: Waives to go to Montreal as opposed to being asked to waive his no move for purposes of Expansion next year. Would rather play for a contender then an Expansion team.

This is a phenomenal deal for the Jets. Right now they have 1 protection spot left for both Trouba and Myers. In order to protect all of Enstrom, Buff, Trouba and Myers they have to go to the 8 skater format and thus can only protect 4 forwards.

If they sell Enstrom, the Jets now only have to protect 3 defenders and thus protect 7 forwards.

If I was Montreal I would do this deal but ask for a 2nd and 3rd round draft pick to be included.

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
This would mean that we likely lose Beaulieu for nothing and we add cap that we do not have. Would much rather give Beaulieu the opportunity to play with Weber first.

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
This is a phenomenal deal for the Jets. Right now they have 1 protection spot left for both Trouba and Myers. In order to protect all of Enstrom, Buff, Trouba and Myers they have to go to the 8 skater format and thus can only protect 4 forwards.

If they sell Enstrom, the Jets now only have to protect 3 defenders and thus protect 7 forwards.

If I was Montreal I would do this deal but ask for a 2nd and 3rd round draft pick to be included.

Enstrom is worth more than either Lowry, Armia, Dano, Matthias or Burmistrov; we would be losing one of them anyway if we protect 7 forwards. The difference between the worst choice there, and the best, isn't worth Enstrom.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Enstrom and a 3rd rounder for Beaulieu...
Jets retain 1m of contract.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Copp doesn’t need to be protected, he played only one pro game prior to this year.

Perreault will be the 4th forward the Jets protect, he won’t be exposed. The Jets loose one of Lowry, Burmistrov, Armia, Dano regardless of how many D they protect (assuming they don’t lose Stuart, Chiarot, or Postma which isn’t completely out of the question) At this point there isn’t a big difference.
Personally I hope we lose Stuart, and that isn’t actually impossible. He’s the type of D-man many GM’s still like.

Copp needs to be protected or left unprotected, he is not exempt.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Copp needs to be protected or left unprotected, he is not exempt.

This was his first year as a pro and the expansion happened before the NHL calender roles over next year. He did play one game in 14/15, but he's allowed 5.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Yeah this is a no from both sides. Enstrom is a valuable part of our top 4, especially with Myers being a question mark (and yes, other Jets fans, until we see him play, he is a question mark), and downgrading is not something we can afford to do with our LHD depth being shaky already. While saving cash and a protection spot aren't bad things in vacuum, I value Enstrom more than them two combined.

On the other hand, Montreal would gain another NMC, which would be their third defenseman with the clause. That leaves Beaulieu exposed, which won't be received well here. Also, I don't think the deal would work cap wise for Montreal.

Well said.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
swap the 3rd for Dano, we throw in a pick or a prospect. you guys are most likely gonna lose him in the expansion draft anyways.

Why? Who are we protecting over him?

I'm not super ok n the up and up here but burmi Matthias armia Lowry and copp all get exposed before dano.

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
Why? Who are we protecting over him?

I'm not super ok n the up and up here but burmi Matthias armia Lowry and copp all get exposed before dano.

Perreault gets protected.

Dano will most likely be left exposed along with Armia, Lowry, Burmistrov, Matthias.

Also who cares if Copp is left exposed or exempt. He's barely a 4th liner as is.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
You come up with some of the worst trade ideas on this forum. Try them on the Jets forum before bringing them here.

Ya, I know. Getting rid of a D man that is spiraling downward fast and has to be protected for a 23 year old LHD that has nothing but upside is a bad trade. I'd trade Enstrom for Beaulieu in a heartbeat.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Enstrom is worth more than either Lowry, Armia, Dano, Matthias or Burmistrov; we would be losing one of them anyway if we protect 7 forwards. The difference between the worst choice there, and the best, isn't worth Enstrom.

Out of those three you would without question protect Lowry, Armia and Dano. So you can basically say that you lose Enstrom and Matthias/Burmistrov, but you gain Emelin and one of Lowry/Armia/Dano. I wouldn't call this a bad idea honestly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad