Worst team next season

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
Wings just haven’t gotten better. We’ll see if the younger guys step up. Ottawa shored up their goaltending and I personally think guys like Greig, Sanderson, Tkachuk, and Stützle are going to take a big step.

I could be way off because it is Ottawa and they tend to suck, but the biggest difference to me was goaltending. Husso and Talbot aren’t good enough on paper for me.
While maybe true about the goaltending, you can’t say that Ottawas young talent is going to take a big step when the red wings young talent will as well.

On top of that, Raymond had a breakout season. Seider had a great season. We seen how good Edvinsson did in his call up and he will be up full time. Danielson almost made the Team last preseason. This doesnt include Kasper, Mazur or Cossa who all play in GR.

Also, Albert Johansson will be up full time as well.

I can’t see how Ottawa is in a better position BESIDES possibly goaltending.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Their adds were strategic because they only started their rebuild essentially midway through last year. Like in January there was still the thought around the organization that this was a wildcard team (because, well, they were sitting in the second wildcard spot for a while). 1-2 year contracts that are flip-able at the 2025 and 2026 deadlines.

After trading away Hanifin and Tanev, they went 8-13 down the stretch.
They also just moved on from Markstrom before the draft who probably won them, conservatively, 17 or 18 games on his own this year.

This is going to be year 1 of the rebuild.
Guys like Coleman and Backlund never lose their value as players because they've both proven they can produce and be A+ defensive players even on bad teams. Backlund's been doing it essentially his entire career.

Not sure how your analogy works?

We've traded:
Lindholm
Tanev
Hanifin
Markstrom
Zadorov
Toffoli

This calendar year. If that doesn't signal fire sale, not sure what does. We need to hit the cap floor.

Flames over/under 62.5 points this year?

Also a gentle reminder. Calgary has one of the worst coaches in the NHL. Ryan Huska is clearly a placeholder while we race to the bottom of the standings lol.
Treviling is gone. But they waited way too long parting ways with him.
Patience for fans and critics.... Conroy will rebuild well

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Treviling is gone. So nowhere to go but up now.

That man sewered our franchise so much; probably set us back a decade of competition with the moves he made.
Like the running thing in Calgary was 'the ownership has him handcuffed' like everything was Murray Edwards' fault around every turn.

He leaves.
Conroy comes in and does something that Treliving refused to do, which is a tear down.
Treliving goes to Toronto and promptly continues to make the very 'Flames-ee' GM moves he was making. Bring in a bunch of vets, give out rich contracts to guys you sincerely wonder how they're going to be making that much, no concern over age/health of players, create a bunch of uncertainty around stars. Sign depth pieces for big deals. Remember, in Calgary, Michael Frolik, whom I loved as a player, was a major reason Matthew Tkachuk wasn't given an 8 year deal and instead offered a bridge.

Reactions: PaulD

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
While maybe true about the goaltending, you can’t say that Ottawas young talent is going to take a big step when the red wings young talent will as well.

On top of that, Raymond had a breakout season. Seider had a great season. We seen how good Edvinsson did in his call up and he will be up full time. Danielson almost made the Team last preseason. This doesnt include Kasper, Mazur or Cossa who all play in GR.

Also, Albert Johansson will be up full time as well.

I can’t see how Ottawa is in a better position BESIDES possibly goaltending.
Goaltending is not just some throwaway intangible. It’s the difference between a playoff team and a non-playoff team. I think that Ottawa and Detroit are nearly equal on offense and defense and the clear edge is Ottawa in the goal tending department.

Because of that huge factor, I put them ahead. There isn’t a prospect on Detroit that is going to help them in a huge capacity next year. Danielson will get a cup of coffee probably but he won’t scored 50 points if he plays a whole season, the same with Kasper, and the same with Mazur. Sebastian Cossa will play in the AHL almost all next season.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Coleman will be 33 this year and is just coming off a 30 goal and 54 point campaign. He never had more than 30 points in a season beforehand. This would be an ideal time to trade him for the flames.

What?

B928uep.png

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Sharks.

Their forward group, defensive group, and goaltending is the worst in the league.

I don't think any other team can say that.
When the Oilers played thier last game against the sharks last season the camera went down the bench during the anthem and I did not recognize a player on that team.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
That man sewered our franchise so much; probably set us back a decade of competition with the moves he made.
Like the running thing in Calgary was 'the ownership has him handcuffed' like everything was Murray Edwards' fault around every turn.

He leaves.
Conroy comes in and does something that Treliving refused to do, which is a tear down.
Treliving goes to Toronto and promptly continues to make the very 'Flames-ee' GM moves he was making. Bring in a bunch of vets, give out rich contracts to guys you sincerely wonder how they're going to be making that much, no concern over age/health of players, create a bunch of uncertainty around stars. Sign depth pieces for big deals. Remember, in Calgary, Michael Frolik, whom I loved as a player, was a major reason Matthew Tkachuk wasn't given an 8 year deal and instead offered a bridge.
Bergevin did same to Our team

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
If the Sabres start out on a rough streak things will go bad quick. I'm beginning to think that Ruff will just move into a President/GM position the moment this plan from Adams backfires and that we will be in limbo until the following season.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Also need to factor in what the timeline is for each of the GMs. I doubt any in the bottom 5 expect to be a PO team. But, growth and development of players on the roster is important. SJ doesn't want to be over 100 goals difference again.

How many of these bottom 4 GMs can still be employed after another couple of bottom 3/4 finishes? Waddell just got hired, so he's got slack. But, no clue what his assessment of the team was to the owners when he got hired. Probably, not a tear it all down for 3 more terrible years.
GMMG is doing exactly what he was hired to do, and it's moving along great. He's def not on thin ice at all.

Reactions: Nighthock

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Calgary will be up there....San Jose as well.....And I must say I am very surprised to see people suggesting the Habs are going to be among the worse.....no way....they get a healthy Dach back....they get more experience for their young D men....and Slaf should continue to improve.....I would say the Habs are even potentially a team that could battle for a 7 or 8 playoff spot in the East.

Last edited:

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Hopeless franchises.
Probably a top 2 prospect pool in the league plus another top 3 pick next year and an additional lottery pick if Vegas struggles. Might want to look up the definition of hopeless.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Calgary will be up there....San Jose as well.....And I must say I am very surprised to see people suggesting the Habs are going to be among the worse.....no way....they get a healthy Dach back....they get more experience for their young D men....and Slaf should continue to improve.....I would say the Habs are even potentially a team that could battle for a 7 or 8 playoff spot in the East.
The only really thing holding the Habs (and Sens/Sabres/Wings) back is how strong the top of that division is. Only so many teams can make the playoffs, so when you're in a hard division, someone has to lose the games. Whether they're close games or not, it'll hold you back in the standings.

Reactions: Devonator

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
The only really thing holding the Habs (and Sens/Sabres/Wings) back is how strong the top of that division is. Only so many teams can make the playoffs, so when you're in a hard division, someone has to lose the games. Whether they're close games or not, it'll hold you back in the standings.
I mean even with the division its a shame that no one could beat out the Capitals for the WC who were -37 in GD on the season.

Reactions: Stewie Griffin

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Don't understand why so many people have the Ducks at the bottom. They just added Cutter. Leo second season. McTavish is just getting better. Chicago and Sharks are going to be in the bottom.

Reactions: MD93 and HabsQC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad