Player Discussion Ryan Lindgren

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
This is ass. And not much value at all.

Rangers special here, the double negative.

Bad player on a bad contract with minimal trade value, yay!
Its a one year deal. There are no FA’s to sign.

Literally its a great deal. If he stinks we walk away. If for some reason we implode this year we trade him ar deadline.

This is a no risk deal.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
trade him at the deadline. Off season, players don’t get value. Deadline depth D? 2nd suddenly becomes the asking price.

Use the 2nd plus more to acquire a good partner for fox and try to sign said guy to a 4-5 30s contract or 7-8 year mid late 20s contract.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Out of curiosity what do we think he returns at the deadline? a 3rd-4th?
Much better than a 3rd-4th. I’d say a 2nd.

A defensive dman who is a heart and sole player who is playing top 4 minutes fetches a lot at the deadline. But we aren’t going to be trading him at the deadline because then we would have to make another trade to get a player…like him.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
But yet we will still hear people bitching about it non stop. 500k more than he should have got, who cares. There were no other options after the Trouba drama.

It's a full almost million than he should have gotten given what his QO was. Those dollars do add up.

I only hope that the FO is able to separate their feelings for the guy from what is actually happening on ice when the time comes this March (or earlier.) Anyone who is expecting a bounce back is in for a really rough awakening.

Reactions: noncents

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
My worry isn’t them leapfrogging us in the standings, it’s that now we’re not going to be beating up on such crappy teams in our division
Often the NHL in the cap era has become a year to year league. Teams can move up or down in a year. Look at the difference in Vancouver this season and last season. Repeating as a Cup Champ is unlikely for Florida just like it was unlikely for Vegas.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
This is the worst kind of deal really. I mean he just had his worst year with us, 4.5 is an overpay but that metric, and what happens if he has a much better year next year which he probably will, we gonna hand him a 4 year x 5.5 then? Imo if you were going 4.5 it should have been 3 years, this is just a gateway to a larger cap hit for him.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Lots of people here jumping of bridges today that said he would get 2 or 2.5...
Maybe the way to look at this -- and also maybe it was enticing for both sides -- he's getting the money up front. If he blows this coming season, surely we'll complain that we gave him four and a half to suck, but at least it won't drag any longer. He could also have a rebound year playing for a contract here or elsewhere, and then the four and a half might turn to be the right value.

Reactions: egelband

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
I hope he's not traded at the deadline. That would mean we're having an awful season

It's the same old questions, and their answers, that will determine the way this season will go. Hamstrung from being able to make major roster moves, it's a "running it back" essentially. Will the youngsters improve? Can we integrate a few more effective young players? Is Rielly Smith the solution to Zibanejad and Kreider 5v5? Same old, tired questions.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Why is it so difficult for this team to just move on from players that aren't good just because their home grown?

Sometimes decisions need to be made, and throughout multiple managements, they make the same mistakes.

Igor contract is looming. He's obviously a great player but he is someone we need to move on from too as opposed to signing him long term. Even if it means going for it one more time then letting him walk

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
Seems like this is probably it for him here. Unless something dramatic changes in his game and they want him back, but that seems really unlikely. Let's enjoy him while he's around, he has been a good Ranger and is a warrior. It's not going to be a Girardi ending.
I don't think it's just him. The short-term on this deal, plus the rumored moves Drury was trying to make, has me thinking this is the last run for this group before actual changes are made. A quasi-retool after this year wouldn't shock me honestly depending on what happens with Igor's contract.

As for Lindgren, it's fine. They'll still be able to bank cap space for the deadline and do whatever they need. Last year was a huge downswing in play for him, and I doubt he's that bad again. I also think the majority of the defense took steps back last year under Housley, and I hope it can be corrected this year.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Cap is a bit high but the term is what I'd like to see for that kind of cap number for him. I'm not sure he'll be very movable at the deadline for us. We are probably not going to be moving a D then....we are a lot more likely to be looking to add a D or two at the deadline. You move D if you're not a playoff team. If you are you add D.

This contract makes me think this next season will be his last one with us.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
They had to give him more for the 1 year term.

It isnt perfect but could you image in if it was 3, 4 or 5 years?

Good decision. Nothing thrilling about it, but it could be much worse. They are out on him next year and can change their course on the defense next summer.

There is a plan at work here, they are running back the same club for one more run. And while we know the team isnt perfect for the playoffs, they have had success and maybe are 2 or 3 smart deadline deals away from getting over the hump.

Is it perfect? No. Could it be better? Sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad