Around the NHL 2023-24 - offseason part II

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Presumably they trade him at the end of next year so the team adding him can extend him? It would be difficult to trade him if they are in a playoff race when he expires. That would be a bad message to the team and the fans.

It goes to UFA.

Player gets option to pick 1 or 2 years in arbitration so he was always going to choose 2 to get to UFA. The deal is essentially the arbitration award but both sides wanted to play safe in case the arbitrator sided heavily to 1 side.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It goes to UFA.

Player gets option to pick 1 or 2 years in arbitration so he was always going to choose 2 to get to UFA. The deal is essentially the arbitration award but both sides wanted to play safe in case the arbitrator sided heavily to 1 side.
I get the process and outcome. What’s unclear to me is what Carolina does with Necas given they have already tried to trade him and were unsuccessful. I guess they wait for another team to have a rift with a malcontent.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The ole parise let me walk myself to free agency contract
To be fair it sounds like he has been honest with the team about that. They have tried to trade him but can’t find a deal they like. If they are in thr playoff race when he is expiring do they trade him for a low first or keep him as a self rental and let him go afterwards?

Reactions: MasterofGrond

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
One thing I think this does actually do for the Canes is solidify what a team will (at some point) be trading for when the acquire Necas.

Now you know the number and the expiration on the contract so it's just easier to arrive at a meeting point between GMs for what that value is. Any unknowns (how much will he sign for, what contract will he be looking for) just leads to value disparities that make deals harder. Now you know you're trading for 2 years of Necas (or 1.5 or 1 or .5 depending on when you trade for him) at a known cap hit.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
One thing I think this does actually do for the Canes is solidify what a team will (at some point) be trading for when the acquire Necas.

Now you know the number and the expiration on the contract so it's just easier to arrive at a meeting point between GMs for what that value is. Any unknowns (how much will he sign for, what contract will he be looking for) just leads to value disparities that make deals harder. Now you know you're trading for 2 years of Necas (or 1.5 or 1 or .5 depending on when you trade for him) at a known cap hit.

It precludes signing him to a long-term deal. Given the realities of the salary cap now, I think a lot of teams would rather have him on a one-year contract as an RFA. That said, given that half of Carolina's offense walked out the door this offseason, Necas could have a very big season and demand a lot more.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
eric stall retires.....good riddance.....the guy was a puke
I saw the “Confirmed with link: Eric Staal signs contract with Canes” thread pop up in the sidebar and was caught off guard.

I immediately was like “WUT? This guy is coming back to play yet again at 40 years old after missing an entire season and now having not played in the league for 2 of the last 3 years?” Without really putting together the whole contract to retire as a member of the Canes thing.

Reactions: mdj12784

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I saw the “Confirmed with link: Eric Staal signs contract with Canes” thread pop up in the sidebar and was caught off guard.

I immediately was like “WUT? This guy is coming back to play yet again at 40 years old after missing an entire season and now having not played in the league for 2 of the last 3 years?” Without really putting together the whole contract to retire as a member of the Canes thing.

i opened your reply expecting at least some shitting on him...

i'm disappointed. :laugh:

Last edited:

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

These are… something.

IMG_8863.jpeg

IMG_8864.jpeg

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

just dont mention rainbows in the main thread...that shit gets whitewashed real f***ing fast...some people can't handle the truth

and seeing how this afternoon's theme here is art .... this keith haring lithograph from 1989 says it all

Screen Shot 2024-07-31 at 2.46.50 PM.png

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
just dont mention rainbows in the main thread...that shit gets whitewashed real f***ing fast...some people can't handle the truth

and seeing how this afternoon's theme here is art .... this keith haring lithograph from 1989 says it all

View attachment 898377
I hope he and his brothers enjoy a nice retirement in some place like San Francisco.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad