Around the NHL 2023-24 - offseason part II

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I'd like to think that Edmonton evaluated what Bowman learned from his suspension and if he made sincere efforts to rehabilitate and evolve from the flaws inherent in pro sports and in him that led to it but I'm skeptical that Edmonton ownership/management/administration even cared about that. Winning is amoral.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Not surprising.

Being able to keep the biggest scandal in the NHL under wraps for 10 years is a huge positive in the owners circle.

Katz probably has a whole graveyard worth of worse skeletons hiding somewhere. He'll sleep better knowing Bowman will go out of his way to silence any story from getting out.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Part of me is fine with there being no actual league lifetime ban on these guys, I just wish the teams would agree to make their own lifetime bans and just refuse to hire these people.

I don't know if a lawyer told the POHOPS dude to turn off his messages, but that's already a bad look.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Out of curiosity, I looked up the trade tree which led Utah to getting Mikhail Sergachev.

- Sold high on Christian Dvorak as Montreal scrambled in wake of the Jesperi Kotkanieimi offer sheet. Ended up being 27th overall in 2022 and 37th overall in 2024 (used to acquire Sean Durzi).

- Took on Andrew Ladd as a cap dump for two years. Coyotes got 59th overall (J.J. Moser) in 2021, 45th in 2022, and #81 in 2023.

- They traded 27+34 (their own 2nd)+45 to San Jose for #11 to draft Conor Geekie.

- They traded Geekie+Moser+2024 7th+2025 2nd for Sergachev.

Given the circumstances, they did alright to turn Dvorak+Ladd's contract and a couple 2nds into Sergachev and Durzi.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Out of curiosity, I looked up the trade tree which led Utah to getting Mikhail Sergachev.

- Sold high on Christian Dvorak as Montreal scrambled in wake of the Jesperi Kotkanieimi offer sheet. Ended up being 27th overall in 2022 and 37th overall in 2024 (used to acquire Sean Durzi).

- Took on Andrew Ladd as a cap dump for two years. Coyotes got 59th overall (J.J. Moser) in 2021, 45th in 2022, and #81 in 2023.

- They traded 27+34 (their own 2nd)+45 to San Jose for #11 to draft Conor Geekie.

- They traded Geekie+Moser+2024 7th+2025 2nd for Sergachev.

Given the circumstances, they did alright to turn Dvorak+Ladd's contract and a couple 2nds into Sergachev and Durzi.
Far too often I forget that Sergachev was in fact a Canadiens draft pick and not of the Lightning. And that he was the return for Drouin.

I remember Sergachev was a hot want around here for a while, and I can't remember if a lot of that started before his NHL debut or after his rookie season.

And while there was a lot weird wants thrown out there (like Tyler Johnson and Drouin lol), I was totally behind the pining for Sergachev.

But there was also a time I thought Will Butcher could somehow be almost as good as him. Or at least to the point where we didn't need to be giving up a whole lot just to get Sergachev.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
said it before will say it again

if the players on the hawks didnt face any punishment then let bowman and quinn back. legit weird your going to have some players on that roster make the hall of fame and people are eh whatever

Reactions: njdevils1982

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Far too often I forget that Sergachev was in fact a Canadiens draft pick and not of the Lightning. And that he was the return for Drouin.

I remember Sergachev was a hot want around here for a while, and I can't remember if a lot of that started before his NHL debut or after his rookie season.

I likely had a cringey hot take in the moment as I didn't think Tampa got back enough for Drouin. But I overestimated Drouin and didn't understand that it was saving Tampa a protection spot for the Vegas expansion draft. Then again, that might have been the difference between protecting Vlad Namestnikov or not.

It'll be interesting to see how Sergachev does as the #1D in Utah. Having Hedman around probably gave Sergachev a slightly easier workload in Tampa. I don't think it'll be as drastic as say Glen Wesley after he left Boston/Bourque, but I wouldn't be shocked if his numbers took a little bit of a hit. Not sure if Utah will use Sergachev or Durzi on PP1.

Also a fun what if for Edmonton, there was something on the table at the 2016 Draft where they would trade down from #4 to #6 and they would have taken Sergachev. Columbus would have moved down from #3 to #4 and they would still taken Dubois. Calgary would have moved up from #6 to #3, not sure if it was for Tkachuk or Puljujarvi. At the last minute, Edmonton got cold feet because it didn't like the optics of allowing Calgary to move up.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I likely had a cringey hot take in the moment as I didn't think Tampa got back enough for Drouin. But I overestimated Drouin and didn't understand that it was saving Tampa a protection spot for the Vegas expansion draft. Then again, that might have been the difference between protecting Vlad Namestnikov or not.

It'll be interesting to see how Sergachev does as the #1D in Utah. Having Hedman around probably gave Sergachev a slightly easier workload in Tampa. I don't think it'll be as drastic as say Glen Wesley after he left Boston/Bourque, but I wouldn't be shocked if his numbers took a little bit of a hit. Not sure if Utah will use Sergachev or Durzi on PP1.

Also a fun what if for Edmonton, there was something on the table at the 2016 Draft where they would trade down from #4 to #6 and they would have taken Sergachev. Columbus would have moved down from #3 to #4 and they would still taken Dubois. Calgary would have moved up from #6 to #3, not sure if it was for Tkachuk or Puljujarvi. At the last minute, Edmonton got cold feet because it didn't like the optics of allowing Calgary to move up.
Is Sergachev completely past that ugly leg injury? That might be what defines his tenure. I presume he was cleared by all his doctors to complete the trade? Still a surgically repaired knee may not be the same afterwards.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

Sergachev or Durzi for PP1?

Clearly you forgot Marino

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
said it before will say it again

if the players on the hawks didnt face any punishment then let bowman and quinn back. legit weird your going to have some players on that roster make the hall of fame and people are eh whatever

I’ve said it before and will say it again, this is a terrible and completely wrong take.

Players are employees and aren’t responsible for the cover-up like management was.

Edit: English is difficult for me apparently.

Last edited:

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016

Drouin was already disappointing in Tampa. I was shocked Tampa got such a nice return. Figured it was a Montreal overpayment because Drouin was french canadian.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
How can you will say it before?
IMG_0617.gif

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I will say it before and will say it again, this is a terrible and completely wrong take.

Players are employees and aren’t responsible for the cover-up like management was.
Not to mention it’s a little harder to prove who knew what and when in the locker room than it is management ignoring direct complaints. Ultimately the buck stops with them anyway, if Toews and Kane were ***** well that reflects poorly on them but an atmosphere where that kind of peer behavior is not only ignored but tacitly encouraged ultimately reflects on management.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I’ve said it before and will say it again, this is a terrible and completely wrong take.

Edit: English is difficult for me apparently.
hey its all good you can have your own take and be wrong which you are. thats why we all here to chat no probs

Last edited:

My3Sons

Sponsor
beach was getting roasted by teammates during practice, there's no way toews, kane etc didn't know what was going on. f*** that whole organization
You aren't wrong but isn't everyone from that organization gone? Hasn't ownership been passed down to the younger generation and all the players and coaches have departed? If all the people are gone it's hard to hold the name perpetually responsible.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
You aren't wrong but isn't everyone from that organization gone? Hasn't ownership been passed down to the younger generation and all the players and coaches have departed? If all the people are gone it's hard to hold the name perpetually responsible.
i'm sure you're right that they're all gone, but it is crazy to see management be held accountable while toews is remembered as a great leader, for example. i don't have a solution, so i would just say f*** the blackhawks forever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad