Around the NHL 2023-24 - offseason part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
nothing like reading about contract defer and cba....riveting conversation and people think this place is boring end of summer.

Being a nerdy hockey fan in 2024 is learning about state/province taxation laws, SOFR, and the Time Value of Money.

If you get someone to sign a paper afterwards you'll have an MBA.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I know Dri is a great player but that AVV feels like a player wanting to leave type contract.

The Oilers’offseason was complete trash. Bad GM singing, which leads to offer sheets and an anchor contract. The cap is going up but not that significantly.

My only hope is Shesterkin’s AVV goes up from this..

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I know Dri is a great player but that AVV feels like a player wanting to leave type contract.

The Oilers’offseason was complete trash. Bad GM singing, which leads to offer sheets and an anchor contract. The cap is going up but not that significantly.

They needed to win one while Mc and Drai were on their initial deals. They came as close as you can get but it will only get harder from here.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Ah, Staios was with the Leafs organization during Kulemin's time there. I was wondering where the "old buddy" connection was.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
IMG_5653.jpeg

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010

Draisaitl is a top five player in the entire world. This is not an “anchor” contract, NHL stars are already getting paid a smaller portion of the cap relative to their talent compared to middle of the pack players, have you ever looked up the percentage of the cap stars were being paid right after the lockout? It was higher than it is now, Drai’s new contract is probably more in line with that.

The handwringing about contracts here can be so over the top. This is a hall of fame level player, those guys tend to have long careers and continue to be good for a really long time. Even if he is half the player he currently is at the end of the deal it’s still not awful because that’s still a 60ish point player who will likely be making a much smaller percentage of the cap by that time. Worst case if he somehow falls off a cliff at the end, the contract is still worth it considering he’s a generational player and those are the guys that win cups.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Askarov must have still not made it over for the new season.

Either that or he’s wondering why the hell those two got that kind of treatment over him.

And I hope everyone enjoyed Vitek. That might be one of the only times you see him off the ice at all this season, unless you happen to see him in the grocery store or something. Unless he tries not to no-show too many of those pressers after getting blown to smithereens like he did here last year.

Reactions: My3Sons

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Draisaitl is a top five player in the entire world. This is not an “anchor” contract, NHL stars are already getting paid a smaller portion of the cap relative to their talent compared to middle of the pack players, have you ever looked up the percentage of the cap stars were being paid right after the lockout? It was higher than it is now, Drai’s new contract is probably more in line with that.

The handwringing about contracts here can be so over the top. This is a hall of fame level player, those guys tend to have long careers and continue to be good for a really long time. Even if he is half the player he currently is at the end of the deal it’s still not awful because that’s still a 60ish point player who will likely be making a much smaller percentage of the cap by that time. Worst case if he somehow falls off a cliff at the end, the contract is still worth it considering he’s a generational player and those are the guys that win cups.

It is definitely a worthwhile contract, but Draisaitl is absolutely dogshit at defense - a 60 point Draisaitl is a disaster. The Oilers can't afford not to do this, but in 4 years it's probably not worth it, even with the cap inflation that's built in.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Not really NHL news, but....

Are they're using the same braintrust that came up with the options for Utah lol

Although I do like that Montreal logo
The NY team really should have branded around my wife’s sister and named themselves the Harpies Medusas or Shrews. Or maybe the Harpy Medusa Shrews since she is as evil as all three.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
The NY team really should have branded around my wife’s sister and named themselves the Harpies Medusas or Shrews. Or maybe the Harpy Medusa Shrews since she is as evil as all three.
Makes me wonder what your sister in law calls you. ;)

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad