Around the NHL 2023-24 - offseason part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Don't think Leon will age well with that deal, gives big shades of Parise/Kovy with us and how Zach wanted more than Kovy when he was the worse player.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Don't think Leon will age well with that deal, gives big shades of Parise/Kovy with us and how Zach wanted more than Kovy when he was the worse player.
Not many players will age well compared to their current but that’s to be expected. They care about the first half of the deal and if he lives up to that

lol was waiting for that type of comment

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
So does McDavid sign for $14 million and a penny or just a total f*** it deal at whatever the max is?

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Not many players will age well compared to their current but that’s to be expected. They care about the first half of the deal and if he lives up to that

lol was waiting for that type of comment

That's a fair point, I guess. I think I would have more grace for it if they had a Cup or two, it seems like this upcoming year is their equivalent to a last dance with Leon's extension kicking in 25-26 and McDavid's impending UFA decision/him getting more. The kicker is Nurse's 9M tbh

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I’m guessing McDavid gets a max deal around 18 mil

He's probably worth that much, and particularly to them. I can't think of another team in recent years that lives or dies by its superstar to the extent that the Oilers do.

Letting him walk would send them right back into another perpetual rebuild.

Reactions: HBK27

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
That's a fair point, I guess. I think I would have more grace for it if they had a Cup or two, it seems like this upcoming year is their equivalent to a last dance with Leon's extension kicking in 25-26 and McDavid's impending UFA decision/him getting more. The kicker is Nurse's 9M tbh

I dunno how I feel if they had a cup/s before these mega deals. Would their hunger still be there in year 3/4? If I’m Edmonton do you even resign him if you already got what you wanted a cup or two?

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I dunno how I feel if they had a cup/s before these mega deals. Would their hunger still be there in year 3/4? If I’m Edmonton do you even resign him if you already got what you wanted a cup or two?

They'd be legends in that city, they'd get legacy deals imo. And they're still millionaires regardless lol, they don't have to live in Edmonton for the whole year and they probably don't. They probably have houses everywhere

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I’m guessing McDavid gets a max deal around 18 mil
Yeah he isn’t leaving a nickel on the table and he shouldn’t.

They'd be legends in that city, they'd get legacy deals imo. And they're still millionaires regardless lol, they don't have to live in Edmonton for the whole year and they probably don't. They probably have houses everywhere
But if they have 1 or 2 cups already as oilers gm you give this deal or trade and retool under mcdavid

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Edmonton not deferring money and lowering the cap hit is a fireable offense.

Having Drai and McD on circumvention contracts would set them up for a dynasty. Having them on high cap contracts when half the league is deferring money means last year and this year will be their best chance at a cup.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

Having Drai and McD on circumvention contracts would set them up for a dynasty. Having them on high cap contracts when half the league is deferring money means last year and this year will be their best chance at a cup.

Eh I’ve heard the doom and gloom about the cap for years on here. It’s going to go up they will find a way to offload the nurse contract and they will still be competitive. Btw doesn’t the player have to want to defer ?

Serious question what’s the lowest salary cap of a cup winner since we had the cap?

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
It's a long way off, but Jack's next contract is going to be astronomical.

Think he'll age well so I have no problem with backing up the Brinks for him. Nico gives me slight hesitation and I'm sure he won't give us a discount with the amount of sheer losing we've done with him but hopefully we can rip off a few long playoffs runs here to keep him at a healthy number

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Think he'll age well so I have no problem with backing up the Brinks for him. Nico gives me slight hesitation and I'm sure he won't give us a discount with the amount of sheer losing we've done with him but hopefully we can rip off a few long playoffs runs here to keep him at a healthy number
Losing is problematic for Nico with regard to paying him but health isn't a concern for Jack?

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Eh I’ve heard the doom and gloom about the cap for years on here. It’s going to go up they will find a way to offload the nurse contract and they will still be competitive.

Serious question what’s the lowest salary cap of a cup winner since we had the cap?

Every cup winner from 2010 (start of circumvention contracts) to 2019 had a front loaded contract to reduce cap hit.
Most cup finals losers from that time had a front loaded circumvention contract to reduce cap hit.

It was a huge competitive advantage and those teams were only teams to win for an entire era. Having someone like Hossa for $5.25m cap hit instead of a $7.9m hit was necessary.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
3 years until then, I don’t have any worries about Nico’s next deal tbh.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY

My friend, you do not understand the mechanics of the deferral contracts. There is no meaningful discount in this rate environment.

It's just a different way of paying out money that gives a different total contract dollar amount. It is not an AAV hack, it is not a secret, and there are millions of good reasons most contracts don't include them, for both team and player friendly reasons.

The deferral "discount" has more to do without accounting than it does cap management.

Reactions: HBK27 and My3Sons

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Jack has huge issues with health that if it doesn’t change I can def see devils having hesitation on that massive deal

Jack deal if all healthy easily 18

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I think Nico takes a lot of pride in being the Devils captain and that he will genuinely want to stay for anything reasonable. His roots seem to be planted deep.

I worry more about the losing affecting Jack - he seems more likely to lose his temper and make an emotional decision. I can definitely see a world where we lose too long and he becomes a malcontent like Eichel did in Buffalo (especially if his health goes sideways). But we have Luke, hopefully locked up long term, and Jack won't need a contract for some time.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
My friend, you do not understand the mechanics of the deferral contracts. There is no meaningful discount in this rate environment.

It's just a different way of paying out money that gives a different total contract dollar amount. It is not an AAV hack, it is not a secret, and there are millions of good reasons most contracts don't include them, for both team and player friendly reasons.

The deferral "discount" has more to do without accounting than it does cap management.
The Canes just did a deferral contract that saves them half a million a year on the cap. Maybe that isn't 'meaningful' to you but it's definitely something cap celling teams will try to exploit and that envelope will be pushed more and more until the loophole is closed.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
The Canes just did a deferral contract that saves them half a million a year on the cap. Maybe that isn't 'meaningful' to you but it's definitely something cap celling teams will try to exploit and that envelope will be pushed more and more until the loophole is closed.

Ah so what you're saying is that over the next three years, teams will exploit this and then finally NJ will try it with Nico, leading to Gary blasting us in the ass?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad