OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Biggest immediate takeaways is I think this defence and Boswell could pretty much win every game against a non-elite(ish) offence and that maybe this offensive line is better than I feared.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Good
++ Defense is still elite and maybe better than last year with a healthy Cam and Donte Jackson, and good ILB play
++ Boswell, 'nuff said
+ O Line looked mostly competent, apart from Spencer Anderson. Hard to really say because I wasn't watching them every snap, but I didn't notice Broderick Jones or Dan Moore Jr in a good way.
+ Fields looked nervous the first series but settled down after that. Wouldn't call it a great game by any means without the offense producing a TD, but was able to move the ball at times and had ~200 yards (pass + rush) for Fields. Didn't turn the ball over.

A win is a win, and we were 4 point dogs on the road.

Bad
- Coaching Staff. I liked maybe 2 playcalls by Arthur Smith (that bootleg throw back to Pickens before half, and splitting everyone out wide for that 3rd down Fields keeper). Everything else was mostly ultra conservative
-Still don't have a viable pass catcher besides Pickens and Muth lol
-Refs
-ST penalties negated some good stuff from Calvin Austin

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
n is a win, a
Bad
- Coaching Staff. I liked maybe 2 playcalls by Arthur Smith (that bootleg throw back to Pickens before half, and splitting everyone out wide for that 3rd down Fields keeper). Everything else was mostly ultra conservative
-Still don't have a viable pass catcher besides Pickens and Muth lol
-Refs
-ST penalties negated some good stuff from Calvin Austin

What About Cool dude?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Pickens was tremendous down field. That guy really has a chance to be a top five WR in this league for a long time.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Obviously the offense is a work in progress but there were glimpses of stuff in this game for sure. My big concern is whether Wilson can work athletically in a similar play-calling, Fields looked very solid in it but Wilson just doesn't have Fields' athleticism.

I saw enough from Fields today for me to think he's worthwhile to continue developing. They were overly conservative with him today, but he had some really nice deep balls when he was given the chance to make plays. They'll need to gradually increase it for him, so he can continue to stay safe with the ball while the throws become more aggressive and frequent, but I saw enough there that gives me optimism going forward.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Obviously the offense is a work in progress but there were glimpses of stuff in this game for sure. My big concern is whether Wilson can work athletically in a similar play-calling, Fields looked very solid in it but Wilson just doesn't have Fields' athleticism.

I saw enough from Fields today for me to think he's worthwhile to continue developing. They were overly conservative with him today, but he had some really nice deep balls when he was given the chance to make plays. They'll need to gradually increase it for him, so he can continue to stay safe with the ball while the throws become more aggressive and frequent, but I saw enough there that gives me optimism going forward.
Yeah I would characterize it as a solid outing for him. Mostly limited the negative and disastrous plays that we actually saw from the vet in Cousins today.

Cautiously optimistic about the new guys in the secondary, Donte Jackson and Deshon Elliott

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah I would characterize it as a solid outing for him. Mostly limited the negative and disastrous plays that we actually saw from the vet in Cousins today.

I think the other thing this game told me is that Fields can absolutely be a reliable NFL backup as well. This type of game is pretty much exactly what you want out of your backup QB.

I think "reliable backup with great athleticism" out of a backup QB is pretty nice, so even if this is all that Fields is, it's still a very good backup QB IMO.

Reactions: WickedWrister

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Re Fields -

If that failed 4th and 1 is on him rushing it before the offence was ready, then I'm still waiting for him to prove he can outgrow his weaknesses under pressure. Smith and the OL did a good job of keeping him clean today. Ditto Harris. Harris is gonna get shit for a 3.5 ypc but I thought he did a great job of moving the chains and that his ypc was tanked by a lot of brick wall carries.

Yeah, his highs were nice. But he needs to eliminate the lows.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Am i crazy to think you take a knee and make them go 90 yards
First off - if you would even attempt to explain that to Tomlin his head would explode. You could convince me either way - I think making it an 8 point game was the right call.. but that extra 20 yards shouldn't be taken for granted. Plus Cousins was ****ing his pants already.. taking the snap in shotgun at the 5 yard line with Watt coming at him probably wouldn't have ended well either.

The absolute epitome of a Steelers win.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
joelmlevin - 1832849072367288595.gif

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Re Fields -

If that failed 4th and 1 is on him rushing it before the offence was ready, then I'm still waiting for him to prove he can outgrow his weaknesses under pressure. Smith and the OL did a good job of keeping him clean today. Ditto Harris. Harris is gonna get shit for a 3.5 ypc but I thought he did a great job of moving the chains and that his ypc was tanked by a lot of brick wall carries.

Yeah, his highs were nice. But he needs to eliminate the lows.
I loved the third down play call - screen out to Jefferson - right before the failed 4th and 1. Issue was both receivers didn't block. Pickens likely because he has zero drive to block for others and Austin because hes 5'5". Still thought he could have gotten the first despite all that. There was no need to rush to the line afterwards. A good coach would have taken a TO to settle stuff down. TD there and game is over.

Agreed on Najee - liked how he ran for the most part.

Reactions: Peat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad