8. Tampa Bay Lightning (AD3)
7. Vegas Golden Knights (PD2)
6. Florida Panthers (AD2)
5. New York Rangers (MD2)
4. Carolina Hurricanes (MD1)
3. Toronto Maple Leafs (AD1)
2. Edmonton Oilers (PD1)
1. Dallas Stars (CD1)
Hahaha Ottawa over the wings made me laugh so hard that I fell of my dinosaur.

Flyers
Best Forward: Thomas Konecky
Best Defenseman: Cam York
Best Goalie: Someone named Samuel Ersson

Torts effect clearly wore off in the second half. More of the same next year.

My Best-Carey
Who the heck is Thomas Konecky?

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Couldn't you have at lease said "All your first are belong to us"?
vZ1f4T.gif

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
At least to me, Montreal looks like the worst team right now
What makes you think that? Last year we lost Dach after game 2 and Dvorak very early also. Losing our No2 and No3 centers had a huge impact on our standings, especially after trading Monahan.

I think many people will be surprised by Montreal this year. All depends on Dach's health. If he can stay healthy this changes everything and offers 2 legit top lines. Our young D core will all have one more year under the belt and should provide better hockey. We won't be doing a rotation of 3 goalies and Montembeault, who has constantly improved over the years, should have a greater impact. Our power play should be improved with Hudson's crazy moves on the blue line and I expect that by mid season, one of Rainbacher or Mailloux will be promoted in the lineup full time from the AHL and provide important contribution.

Last edited:
Reactions: waitin425

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Calgary is in the conversation. When you're sole adds in FA are Mantha and Lomberg you've basically given up and are focusing on some value at the deadline. Why not start the firesale? It's like they're playing poker and slowly losing all their chips, but refusing to sit out any hand before seeing the flop.

They should be trading Coleman and Backlund this offseason before their values drop. Andersson or Weegar will have good years so they can flip at least one next summer or even at the TDL.

Their adds were strategic because they only started their rebuild essentially midway through last year. Like in January there was still the thought around the organization that this was a wildcard team (because, well, they were sitting in the second wildcard spot for a while). 1-2 year contracts that are flip-able at the 2025 and 2026 deadlines.

After trading away Hanifin and Tanev, they went 8-13 down the stretch.
They also just moved on from Markstrom before the draft who probably won them, conservatively, 17 or 18 games on his own this year.

This is going to be year 1 of the rebuild.
Guys like Coleman and Backlund never lose their value as players because they've both proven they can produce and be A+ defensive players even on bad teams. Backlund's been doing it essentially his entire career.

Not sure how your analogy works?

We've traded:
Lindholm
Tanev
Hanifin
Markstrom
Zadorov
Toffoli

This calendar year. If that doesn't signal fire sale, not sure what does. We need to hit the cap floor.

Only if their goaltending completely craters. They won't be good, but they still have a better roster than the Sharks, and probably a few others.

Flames over/under 62.5 points this year?

Also a gentle reminder. Calgary has one of the worst coaches in the NHL. Ryan Huska is clearly a placeholder while we race to the bottom of the standings lol.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Their adds were strategic because they only started their rebuild essentially midway through last year. Like in January there was still the thought around the organization that this was a wildcard team (because, well, they were sitting in the second wildcard spot for a while). 1-2 year contracts that are flip-able at the 2025 and 2026 deadlines.

They also just moved on from Markstrom before the draft who probably won them, conservatively, 17 or 18 games on his own this year.

Guys like Coleman and Backlund never lose their value as players because they've both proven they can produce and be A+ defensive players even on bad teams. Backlund's been doing it essentially his entire career.

We've traded:
Lindholm
Tanev
Hanifin
Markstrom
Zadorov
Toffoli

This calendar year. If that doesn't signal fire sale, not sure what does. We need to hit the cap floor.

Also a gentle reminder. Calgary has one of the worst coaches in the NHL. Ryan Huska is clearly a placeholder while we race to the bottom of the standings lol.
I would say under, but I also still think that there are other teams that will finish out lower in the standings. I think they are bottom 5 unless some very unlikely things happen, like Wolf becoming a superstar in his first full season, Huberdeau returning to his pre-Calgary form, or someone completely unexpected raising the bar and dragging the team forward.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Hahaha Ottawa over the wings made me laugh so hard that I fell of my dinosaur.
Wings just haven’t gotten better. We’ll see if the younger guys step up. Ottawa shored up their goaltending and I personally think guys like Greig, Sanderson, Tkachuk, and Stützle are going to take a big step.

I could be way off because it is Ottawa and they tend to suck, but the biggest difference to me was goaltending. Husso and Talbot aren’t good enough on paper for me.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Feels like the Ducks have tanked at least a decade. They and the Sharks seem to have a 30 year ish playoff drought incoming.
What? based on what? Grier has been doing a great job so far. At this rate we a few years from being at least a playoff team. Our rebuild is going great. Ana, can't say the same for them. But I also don't pay as much attention. They seem to be treading water though.

It's SJ, and it's going to be for a long, LONG time
You will be surprised.

• Haha
Reactions: MD93 and OversKy

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019

We've traded:
Lindholm
Tanev
Hanifin
Markstrom
Zadorov
Toffoli

Coleman will be 33 this year and is just coming off a 30 goal and 54 point campaign. He never had more than 30 points in a season beforehand. This would be an ideal time to trade him for the flames.

Backlund is now 35 which is when we see a lot of guys start to slow down. Both will lose a lot of value over the next few years.

Analogy was related to the franchise moves over the last decade. Fair comment to say they started the firesale but they should be clearing out the aforementioned names as well as one of andersson or weegar.

Flames hockey about to get real ugly. You hate to see it

Reactions: viper0220

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Coleman will be 33 this year and is just coming off a 30 goal and 54 point campaign. He never had more than 30 points in a season beforehand. This would be an ideal time to trade him for the flames.

Backlund is now 35 which is when we see a lot of guys start to slow down. Both will lose a lot of value over the next few years.

Analogy was related to the franchise moves over the last decade. Fair comment to say they started the firesale but they should be clearing out the aforementioned names as well as one of andersson or weegar.

They refuse to tank.
Only thing the management and city can hold over the Oilers.

Their PRIDE.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Penguins are starting to look designed to fail.

"I told Geno I wouldn't cry," blubbered Crosby as he discussed the pending trade, once unthinkable for the franchise icon.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
1. Last place will be Sharks by a country mile.

2. Chicago will be threatening the bottom again.

3. Calgary is about to tumble very far in the standings

4. Those saying Habs.....are out to lunch. All the reasons have been covered. Habs will be 10th-16th pick. No playoffs yet.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Sharks pretty easily

Chicago and Ducks next

Calgary ain't close to those teams. We'll have a couple streaks where we actually look half decent. They'll get another defender from somewhere. Have enough scorers that a couple will get hot. Do a sell off at the TDL, maybe a few injuries and drop down to 6th last.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
4. Those saying Habs.....are out to lunch. All the reasons have been covered. Habs will be 10th-16th pick. No playoffs yet.
Montreal was 6 points away from drafting 10th OA last season. Once you get into that 5-10 range, it's only a few points separating those clubs. 6 clubs between 76 and 81 points last season.

Separation in the bottom 5, was 5 from 1 to 2, 7 from 2 to 3, 7 from 3 to 4, and 10 from 4 to 5.

So, the bottom 4 really in SJ, Chi, Ana, Cbs really do have a lot of ground to make up to get out of the bottom 3.

Reactions: waitin425

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Razzy will likely be dealt at this deadline or next.
Weegar looks like he's here to stay. Big contract, he's signed for a long time, just had a really good season while playing on a bottom feeder. We need guys like him as we start to bring up some of those really great D prospects we've amassed.

In terms of hating to see it... Flames fans have been clamouring for a real rebuild for about 17 years.
The last time we did one, it was more of a 'fell ass backwards into it because we just got really old and really bad' rather than a 'we are aiming to be bad for a few seasons'.

We tanked for all of one year, drafted 4th and then called it a day. Went all in the next year, sent picks out the door on a PDO fueled season.

We need to sustain a bottom 5 for at least two seasons. We need to be in the McKenna sweepstakes in two years time, and one of the big prospects next year.

Flames fans have been asking for this for a long time, now it's time to see if some of us have the stomach for it.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Bottom 5 should include Anaheim, Calgary, Chicago, Colombus and San Jose. But San Jose should come out on top.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I would love for the Sharks to be dead last again...but I just dont think it's going to be that easy again. Chicago wasn't far above us for most of the season.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I would love for the Sharks to be dead last again...but I just dont think it's going to be that easy again. Chicago wasn't far above us for most of the season.
Also need to factor in what the timeline is for each of the GMs. I doubt any in the bottom 5 expect to be a PO team. But, growth and development of players on the roster is important. SJ doesn't want to be over 100 goals difference again.

How many of these bottom 4 GMs can still be employed after another couple of bottom 3/4 finishes? Waddell just got hired, so he's got slack. But, no clue what his assessment of the team was to the owners when he got hired. Probably, not a tear it all down for 3 more terrible years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad