Worst team next season

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Sharks, Flames, Ducks, Blackhawks, Blue Jackets/Sens/Habs probably the bottom 5

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I don’t think the Flames will be dead last but they will be in the bottom of the league. And with all the vets, hopefully they are traded for picks/prospects, hopefully the Flame get another first round pick or two.
Flames have an incentive to be bottom 10 this year. If they are bottom 10 then the 1 st that they owe Montreal will be the Florida 1 st round pick that is expected to be 20-32…. They tank and get bottom 5 and continue the rebuild.

San Jose has horrendous defence and will play their rookie forwards and allow them to make mistakes and rack up points and / minus points to help their development curve…

Play the youth and go for a 1 more high end lottery pick.

Use the cap space to secure more assets…

• Wow
Reactions: RogerRoger

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
the roster upgrades alone will give the Sharks at least 10 more wins next season minimum, but if y'all want us to win next year's draft lottery too I'm all for it.

• Love
Reactions: zombie kopitar

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
the roster upgrades alone will give the Sharks at least 10 more wins next season minimum, but if y'all want us to win next year's draft lottery too I'm all for it.
That would only bring the Sharks from 32nd to 29th in the standings. Either way, no it's not 10 more wins. We might score a little more and be more fun to watch, but the defense is still terrible.

SJS, CGY, CBJ are my clear bottom 3. ANA, OTT, MTL, and one team from the central (idk who but someone has to lose) are other bottom feeders

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The tankathon that will be happening at the bottom of the Pacific division will be ugly.
It'll come down to how much they beat each other most likely.

Sharks are improved from last year, but still a long ways to go.
Anaheim has essentially done nothing after a 59 point campaign.
Calgary was pacing about 66 points after all their trades. They've done nothing and still have a few vets to move at the deadline.

It's going to be absolutely stinky at the bottom of the standings in the Pacific.

Reactions: piqued and Fig

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ducks I’d be concerned if they were that bad still. Asset collection should be done and it’s time to build the roster with better players to help the kids along. Ducks began rebuild when Verbeek arrived.
Ducks had a lot of injuries, one of the most man games lost due to injury in the league. If they were even close to healthy would not have finished so low last year. This season they slightly improved the roster, plus have to expect the young players to take strides, so there should be improvement. They also changed some of their assistant coaches.

If the Ducks end up even bottom 5 next season, Verbeek's rebuild is not working, and can see his seat starting to get warm.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Ducks had a lot of injuries, one of the most man games lost due to injury in the league. If they were even close to healthy would not have finished so low last year. This season they slightly improved the roster, plus have to expect the young players to take strides, so there should be improvement. They also changed some of their assistant coaches.

If the Ducks end up even bottom 5 next season, Verbeek's rebuild is not working, and can see his seat starting to get warm.
If the 5th worst team still got the same number of points as last season, that's still about a 20 point jump (turning 10 pure losses into wins). Standing wise, probably not the end all or be all for the Ducks (if they are still in the 3rd to 5th worst range), but it would have to be offset with the development of the likes of MacTavish, Carlsson, Gauthier, Zell, LaCombe, Mintyukov and having Dostal truly earn half the starts or better.

I think it would be very disappointing/concerning if the Ducks finished worst overall this upcoming season.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Blackhawks added NHL vet talent to their roster but will still be last in their division if I had to guess. Probably picking top 5 again.

Ducks, Sharks, Flames, Hawks, Habs, and Jackets will be the worst in the league

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Blackhawks added NHL vet talent to their roster but will still be last in their division if I had to guess. Probably picking top 5 again.

Ducks, Sharks, Flames, Hawks, Habs, and Jackets will be the worst in the league
Ducks added just Dumoulin and Fabbri. Thought they aim for better. But, with MNTC, maybe Ana tried but couldn't convince a vet to accept a trade.
Chicago, added some vets. If Bedard can play 75 plus games, should be a bit better.
Flames, no Markstrom or Mang, and a full season without Lindholm/Hanifin now.
Sharks a couple of signings, but still overall a bad team.
Jackets, no clear direction from Waddell yet on his assessment of the team. Signed Monahan for 5 years, which I guess means they are trying to get Gaudreau going or something. Have to deal with Laine.
Habs, need to develop young dmen into legit regulars. No Allen to help tandem in net now.

Don't see anyone else falling off the map unless the Flyers players revolt of Tortz.

Reactions: RogerRoger

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Columbus really hasn’t made any improvements outside of signing Monahan, if Werenski gets injured again the Blue Jackets will falter as they allowed the 2nd most goals last season.
Yeah. I kinda think CBJ could fall into that bottom spot. SJ is the obvious choice, and they were horrendous, but they did add some NHL talent this offseason and I think Celebrini will come in and immediately be an impact center.

I don't think the core of CBJ currently is very good, and their goaltending could just implode them down the standings. Low-key CGY is a team that might also finish near the absolute basement, if absent Markstrom a Vladar/Wolf tandem can't keep it together.

I don't see Chicago as really in 32nd contention this year. They added a lot of NHLers. A healthy and improved Bedard will push the team up.

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
On paper Flames have a bottom tier roster and are actively tanking. However they seem to always find a way to win some games and end up in the 18-23 range

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Yeah. I kinda think CBJ could fall into that bottom spot. SJ is the obvious choice, and they were horrendous, but they did add some NHL talent this offseason and I think Celebrini will come in and immediately be an impact center.

I don't think the core of CBJ currently is very good, and their goaltending could just implode them down the standings. Low-key CGY is a team that might also finish near the absolute basement, if absent Markstrom a Vladar/Wolf tandem can't keep it together.

I don't see Chicago as really in 32nd contention this year. They added a lot of NHLers. A healthy and improved Bedard will push the team up.
I'm sure a Jackets fan in denial will come in and explain things to us shortly like they usually do but I agree. They're far from a good team.

Reactions: bossram

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm sure a Jackets fan in denial will come in and explain things to us shortly like they usually do but I agree. They're far from a good team.
Unclear direction. Paid for Gaudreau and Gudbranson 2 off-seasons ago and did absolutely nothing finishing 2nd worst and 4th worst these 2 seasons.
From their picks in the 2020's in rounds 1 and 2:

4 Dmen in rounds 1 and 2 in Jiricek, Cuelmans, Mateychuck, Elick (all but Mateychuck are RHD)
6 C in Lindstrom, Fantilli, Brindley, Del belle beluz, Johnson, Sillinger
1 Winger in Chinakhov

Of this group of 11 1st and 2nds, Chinakhov, Sillinger, Johnson, Fantilli, Jiricek should be on their opening day roster. Mateychuck/Cuelmans will be in the A as should Del bel belluz and Brindley.

They need to develop this group of kids. So, picking the right HC is going to be important.

Veterans on their roster are Jenner, Kuraly, Gaudreau, Monahan, Wareneski, Severson, Gudbranson, Provorov, Jack Johnson (veteran Dcore. They moved off Peeke and Boqvist in 2024 year, so that frees up the RHD spot for Jiricek, with Severson and Gudbranson the other 2 spots).

Provorov is likely a TDL trade. Jenner would be a big asset to move at the TDL and maybe even get the Coleman type return for 2 PO runs.

Last edited:
Reactions: x Tame Impala

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
On paper Flames have a bottom tier roster and are actively tanking. However they seem to always find a way to win some games and end up in the 18-23 range

The Flames finished in the bottom 10, traded the starting goalie and will likely trade more players((Anderson, Backlund and Coleman) are likely gone between now and the trade deadline.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The Sharks have improved enough that they won't run away with the title, but I still don't see another team that's obviously worse than they are.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Flames are definitively a bottom 5 team. They could be in the running for dead last if their goaltending tandem wilts.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Sharks are an obvious answer but I think a dark horse for implosion Is the flames

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad