GDT: WJC: Switzerland Vs USA | December 28th @ 2:30PM MT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Because the IIHF and Hockey Canada have the teams sharing hotels with the general public. A mask doesn't eliminate the possibility of transmission. Really shortsighted decision not to run the tournament in a fully contained bubble again.
How many countries were willing to actually eat that cost again? I have a feeling this was universally accepted.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I really doubt it. Why have these 40 people been tested when the worst symptom is a headache?

It's one thing when a favorite team forfeits a game with these conditions. It's another when people make shit up to vent their anger at the outcome.

Work and a family party outbreak. Doubt all you want

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Because the IIHF and Hockey Canada have the teams sharing hotels with the general public. A mask doesn't eliminate the possibility of transmission. Really shortsighted decision not to run the tournament in a fully contained bubble again.

Team Finland were almost compromised when the hotel they are staying in, booked a room for a couple on the floor that was reserved exclusively for Team Finland. Embarrassing stuff from the organizers.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin

This is the dumbest **** ever. There's no way other teams will stay Covid free in such an environment. Not with omicron exploding.
This WJC is over.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
How many countries were willing to actually eat that cost again? I have a feeling this was universally accepted.

No idea. But I don't see why the IIHF would want to increase the odds of de-legitimizing the tournament. They've instituted a format that made this more likely to happen and they should have prevented that, regardless of what the individual hockey federations may have wanted.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
No idea. But I don't see why the IIHF would want to increase the odds of de-legitimizing the tournament. They've instituted a format that made this more likely to happen and they should have prevented that, regardless of what the individual hockey federations may have wanted.
The IIHF hates paying for anything, considering its generally the cheaper federations that get the largest voice due to how its constructed.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I'm surprised to hear of the hotel situation. Seems like such a no brainer to have hotels be teams only but I guess $ is the deciding factor.

I'm guessing these plans were all made before Omicron's arrival. Back in early November, with fully vaccinated teams, it would have looked more sensible. Not to say they shouldn't have adapted...

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
The spread among asymptomatic vaccinated people is quite rare.

The NFL has shown this to be true:

NFL: Symptomatic players driving COVID spread

The NFL was also among the first organizations to prove Covid was airborne.

Their contact tracing has been phenomenal and invaluable.

A lot of people don't want to accept that (the same way a lot of people didn't want to accept Covid was airborne) so I doubt we ever see get to the point where we accept that (especially for events in Canada).

The narrative that the vaccinated can spread Covid is a faulty one. It's true in the same sense that a birth control pill isn't 100% effevtive, but nobody goes around saying "you still get pregnant on the pill".

As for the unvaccinated, they've basically elected to get Covid at this point and honestly shouldn't even be allowed in the tournament to begin with.

Um, yes, yes they do and yes it does happen, even if you weren't on antibiotics or forgot to take it. Bad bad comparison to attempt to use.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
The whole wjc is tainted already lol what were they thinking in multiple situations.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
This is the dumbest **** ever. There's no way other teams will stay Covid free in such an environment. Not with omicron exploding.
This WJC is over.

So when this counts for a small Tournament, what it also must count for the NHL. Cause they are moving more around as a simple national Team from hotel to the Arena.
So you are saying in a Way, the Hockey Season in the NHL is over. Cause no one can be staying Covid free while moving around.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
The legitimacy of this tournament is now shot. No point in playing it, win gold you have an asterisk, lose who cares. You can thank all the people who overreact to case numbers and panic, normalizing the idea quarantining even post vaccinated despite the vaccines working is why we’re here. Anyone who says well ya you can still spread it, to who, another vaccinated person? Big deal. To the immunocompromised? Well with the vaccines they’re also protected, as the flatline of ICU numbers suggest. The unvaccinated have made their choice. There is no argument for this unless you acknowledge the vaccines don’t protect you. If they protect from serious illness and death, time to move on. Society will always contain people with comorbidities, seniors, etc. So if your argument is we need to protect them, then you acknowledge this is going to be going on for our entire lives.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
It is definitely financially possible. This tournament profit tens of millions of dollars in Canada. A hotel buyout wouldn't be that cost prohibitive.
It was a massive mistake to not put them in a similar bubble to last year. It's proven and works.

Totally agree.. the players don't get paid to play. My buddy in Red Deer bought 2 tix for NYE and it came to $150. For a comparison, 2 tickets to London Knights are around $50.

Then you look at the boards and the commericals... this is a massive cash cow.

Reactions: Hinterland

JoeyBeans

Jan 5, 2013
Halifax
Feels like the IIHF isn't willing to invest the resources required for current and future tournaments. Almost like they're waving the white flag with a sack full of cash.

Reactions: Hinterland

metalan2

May 30, 2008
IIHF or Canada's rules? Safe to say this tournament is an utter farce and the entire thing should be cancelled. Completely stupid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad