GDT: WJC: Switzerland Vs USA | December 28th @ 2:30PM MT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
It was a massive mistake to not put them in a similar bubble to last year. It's proven and works.

Totally agree.. the players don't get paid to play. My buddy in Red Deer bought 2 tix for NYE and it came to $150. For a comparison, 2 tickets to London Knights are around $50.

Then you look at the boards and the commericals... this is a massive cash cow.

Not to mention broadcast rights.

The extra cost is only the surplus rooms and the extra security & staff pay. Staff stay in the excess rooms to complete the bubble. Call it an addition 100 rooms for 20 nights. You are probably taking less then 500k all told. I've done this for several events as part of my job recently.

For a tournament that generated $20+ million in Canada that's a small price to pay considering.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Not to mention broadcast rights.

The extra cost is only the surplus rooms and the extra security & staff pay. Staff stay in the excess rooms to complete the bubble. Call it an addition 100 rooms for 20 nights. You are probably taking less then 500k all told. I've done this for several events as part of my job recently.

For a tournament that generated $20+ million in Canada that's a small price to pay considering.
Also, no Spengler, no NHL - this was the only hockey going ... I guarantee more people watching than usual. At least in Canada

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Nooooo!!! Terrible. Hate to sound crass, but what are the odds we move forward and play tomorrow? Any hope?

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
This was probably one of the most lopsided wins in tournament history. I mean, Switzerland scored more goals than the united states had shots on net for christs sake

I know you're joking, but it isn't close. Just yesterday, Finland scored 7 goals while Austria had only 9 shots. Last year, Canada put up 16 goals against Germany, who had only 15 shots, and then the next day USA beat Austria 11-0 and Austria had only 10 shots.

That's just at a cursory glance this year and last year, too. I'm sure there are many that are much worse than that :laugh:

Reactions: Stubu

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
It’s weird how Canada is taking Covid “serious” with NHL but don’t seem to care when it comes to WJC. They should’ve had a bubble but decided not to and now this is the result

My response was to someone saying that they should play in Floroda or Texas so they could ignore Covid. My point is IIHF would have testing and quarantine anywhere.

I agree they should have a bubble but that is in the IIHF.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Should the US forfeit the rest of its group stage games, wouldn't it be technically possible for them to end up in the relegation round? And of course, if they are still not out of quarantine at that point, I suppose they would have to once again forfeit their games and thus be relegated to Division 1A.

Pieck

Dec 13, 2017
BC
if this invalidates the tournament then every tournament involving injuries to significant players on contending teams is also invalid

it's the exact same thing but on a lower scale, and you can't prove that the injuries didn't cost that team a medal, just like you can't prove that USA would have achieved anything in this tournament if healthy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad