Prospect Info: WJC 2022 part 2: Picking Back Up In August

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
You can take solace in Roy's statistics against Latvia and a diminished Slovakian team. Fine, I don't. When I see him drive the play against superior competition, I will join 'we got a steal in the 5th round' club. Until then, Roy projects as no more than journeyman to this observer.

Suzuki didn't drive the play in the WJC when he played in it. He wasn't a particular stand out in that tournament.

Caufield in his two WJC didn't really impress many, either. In fact, those two tournaments had fans worried about him, questioning if he is as good as they said or if it was another case of over-hyping.

Today, a year or two after those sub-par performances in those tournaments, Suzuki drives his line and Caufield has you feeling like something could happen every time he touches the puck.

All this to say that you can't label a player a "fringe NHL'er" or limit him to "3rd line or 4th line player" going off these tournaments. Because there have been many examples of players who were great in these tournaments and didn't amount to anything in the pros. And the same goes for the opposite. Players don't look too impressive yet end up becoming good players in the NHL.

Roy has ample time to develop and progress, something he's already shown from his rookie year in the Q and this past year.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Suzuki didn't drive the play in the WJC when he played in it. He wasn't a particular stand out in that tournament.

Caufield in his two WJC didn't really impress many, either. In fact, those two tournaments had fans worried about him, questioning if he is as good as they said or if it was another case of over-hyping.

Today, a year or two after those sub-par performances in those tournaments, Suzuki drives his line and Caufield has you feeling like something could happen every time he touches the puck.

All this to say that you can't label a player a "fringe NHL'er" or limit him to "3rd line or 4th line player" going off these tournaments. Because there have been many examples of players who were great in these tournaments and didn't amount to anything in the pros. And the same goes for the opposite. Players don't look too impressive yet end up becoming good players in the NHL.

Roy has ample time to develop and progress, something he's already shown from his rookie year in the Q and this past year.
Roy isnt even doing bad, hes literally dangerous out there... Its all very weird.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Roy isnt even doing bad, hes literally dangerous out there... Its all very weird.

I agree.

I was only pointing to the Suzuki and Caufield examples for anyone who questions Roy's upside because they feel like he doesn't impress them these two games.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I agree.

I was only pointing to the Suzuki and Caufield examples for anyone who questions Roy's upside because they feel like he doesn't impress them these two games.
The thing is, if Roy doesnt impress them here, they will never be impressed by him because hes a scan and outthink player vs full on effort. Watch Sykora if you want endless activation, Roy is a high IQ player. Youre not wrong with the Suzuki comparisons too, he got a lot of the same random lazy/low effort/not driving play/wtv comments and he was producing absurd numbers.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
In re-draft 2021 right now, he is a already a late 1st round pick to me. In few years... we can talk him about a top 10 pick in that draft, this guy produce more than QMJHL players picking in 1st round in that draft. That's a very big steal... more than Cole Caufield... grab a 1st round talent in 5th round, that's huge. Like Sean Farrell, two very good prospect with high potential.
Agree that he'd be a late 1st in a redraft but not ready to crown him as a top 10 yet. Let's see what he does when he's out of the Q which he should absolutely violate this year.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North

yup and Poehling won MVP and struggles to make the NHL

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Well said

This kind of prospect "hot takes" after WJCs have completely turned me off of watching WJCs...used to never miss them.

Now, I settle for highlights and coming on here to get info.

Can't even watch a game without knowing why player X won't ever make the NHL because he didn't get any points in a round robin game vs Austria.

bleeehhhh

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Well said

This kind of prospect "hot takes" after WJCs have completely turned me off of watching WJCs...used to never miss them.

Now, I settle for highlights and coming on here to get info.

Can't even watch a game without knowing why player X won't ever make the NHL because he didn't get any points in a round robin game vs Austria.

bleeehhhh
Weve evolved, now they wont make the NHL even while producing 5 pts in 2 games.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
WJC is just a fun tournament to watch but any short sample size is a terrible way to evaluate. Especially the WJCs because a lot of prospects are being forced into a role they've never played before. All of these guys are used to being -the- guy on their teams and suddenly have to play a support role or get 13 minutes.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Hes a step behind, invisible on the first line and too slow, clearly.

Also lazy.
Clearly, he was moved from the 1st line. And clearly he started playing HIS game more when he was paired with Dufour.

Clearly. Also clearly, getting points while playing with Bedard and McTavish isn't a feat. Othmann, who started in the stands and have now a chance to play on the 1st did that immediately when he joined that 1st line.

Real feature is when he started playing his game with Dufour. So he wasn't step behind, and while he DOES have skating issues (pretty sure any number of points won't change that), he will use his strenghts with somebody else and make Team Canada better.

Reactions: Sagikev

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I swear I read in here that people who just read statsheets are the ones who are lazy.....Roy despite the number of points, while playing good on the 1st line, points that Othmann also got when immediately paired on that 1st line, was WAY more effective with Dufour. He could have LESS points with Dufour, I believe he'd still be more effective.

Roy wasn't BAD on that 1st line. But he was not as effective as he was out of it. And despite the number of points, he still have to work on his skating.

I have no idea how people can contest that. But to each their own I guess....

Roy is a good player. A heck of a 5th rounder so far. And a good project to work with with our development team.

Now, for the selective readers, just concentrate on the bold words.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Removes as if he was demoted lmao

Idk wtf is up with your opionion of Roy but it flat out sucks. Your bias seeps into every single post you make about him lol.

Nah that would be your bias towards me. Watch how you'll turn the other post I just made. I helped you. I bolded the words you want to see.

Removed, taken out, he's no longer there, they changed the dynamics, they decided to make their lineup more complete, guess what...he is STILL NOT on the 1st line!!! Are you really going to insist in looking that bad?

Removes = demoted? Really? I mean englislh isn't my 1st language but that's what it always mean?

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I swear I read in here that people who just read statsheets are the ones who are lazy.....Roy despite the number of points, while playing good on the 1st line, points that Othmann also got when immediately paired on that 1st line, was WAY more effective with Dufour. He could have LESS points with Dufour, I believe he'd still be more effective.

Roy wasn't BAD on that 1st line. But he was not as effective as he was out of it. And despite the number of points, he still have to work on his skating.

I have no idea how people can contest that. But to each their own I guess....

Roy is a good player. A heck of a 5th rounder so far. And a good project to work with with our development team.

Now, for the selective readers, just concentrate on the bold words.
So what ur saying is....???

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Just listen to what Cameron says. Now me. Cameron. He says that the guy who has to play with those 2 has to play HIS game and not the skill game that Mac and Bedard play.

It's NOT a criticism towards Roy that MAYBE in a short tournament like this one. you want him away from those 2 in order for him to play his game something I thought he did more weith Dufour.

So he was NOT demoted from bad play. He was taken out of the line in order, because it's such a small tournament, that you need players at the right place. And maybe somebody else play more their game while Roy play his game elsewhere. And in the end, that would make a team better.

No f***ing idea how that's a bad take....

Well u talked alot but u didn't say anything
I'll go slowly for you...Roy is a very good prospect. That in a short tournament like that might be more suited to play his game on another line. While he was very good with them. He could be great elsewhere. Better?

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Just listen to what Cameron says. Now me. Cameron. He says that the guy who has to play with those 2 has to play HIS game and not the skill game that Mac and Bedard play.

It's NOT a criticism towards Roy that MAYBE in a short tournament like this one. you want him away from those 2 in order for him to play his game something I thought he did more weith Dufour.

So he was NOT demoted from bad play. He was taken out of the line in order, because it's such a small tournament, that you need players at the right place. And maybe somebody else play more their game while Roy play his game elsewhere. And in the end, that would make a team better.

No f***ing idea how that's a bad take....

I'll go slowly for you...Roy is a very good prospect. That in a short tournament like that might be more suited to play his game on another line. While he was very good with them. He could be great elsewhere. Better?

One good point about Roy being put on another line is to have a better idea of what he has to offer. It’s hard to gauge a player’s offensive acumen when he’s the 3rd wheel on a line with perhaps a generational player + McTavish. As a Habs fan, I prefer to get a better evaluation even if it means he doesn’t pad his stats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad