Prospect Info: WJC 2022 part 2: Picking Back Up In August

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Now that I've seen how many top prospects are not going to this next month, I'm less mad that they didn't let Slaf or Mesar go. I still think they should have let Mesar go but perhaps they think he has a shot at making the team or Laval. I can't recall the last Hab prospect to play a full season in the AHL at 18 in my 20+ years of following their prospects closely so I would certainly be against it unless the player is lights out good.

Guhle of course is different because of the injury. Take it slow with him and when he's 100% then get ready for camp.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Is Wright playing for Team Canada? I can't see it. The timing of this August tournament right before NHL camp is terrible. It's just the IIHF and Hockey Canada trying to make up for lost revenues from Christmas.

The fact this tournament is so close to rookie camps and NHL camps is the main reason why there won't be that many of the top names in this tournament.

Reactions: donghabs98

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Now that I've seen how many top prospects are not going to this next month, I'm less mad that they didn't let Slaf or Mesar go. I still think they should have let Mesar go but perhaps they think he has a shot at making the team or Laval. I can't recall the last Hab prospect to play a full season in the AHL at 18 in my 20+ years of following their prospects closely so I would certainly be against it unless the player is lights out good.

Guhle of course is different because of the injury. Take it slow with him and when he's 100% then get ready for camp.
I have come around a little on not letting players go. I am of the mind that the tournament should just have been cancelled and having it in August is just stupid.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Chet-Nick

Feb 28, 2005
Ontario
Ty Smilanic was on the USA Jr. roster at Christmas (prior to the tourney being postponed).

While Tuch, Biondi and Hutson have all been invited to their Evaluation Camp next week.

Smilanic's name isn't on the roster. Any insight as to why?

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I have come around a little on not letting players go. I am of the mind that the tournament should just have been cancelled and having it in August is just stupid.
It's overkill and awful timing from an annual hockey cycle standpoint. Usually the hype for the Christmas version of the tournament begins in mid-August when Hockey Canada and USA Hockey have their camps. NHL rookie camps begin almost immediately after and the Hlinka-Gretzky takes place a week before the summer WJC. Is Connor Bedard going to play in both tournaments?

IIHF and Hockey Canada are just trying to make up for revenues lost last Christmas. Speaking of bad timing, the Hockey Canada scandal likely won't endear many casual fans to watch this tournament on warm evenings in August and get fully behind Team Canada.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Ty Smilanic was on the USA Jr. roster at Christmas (prior to the tourney being postponed).

While Tuch, Biondi and Hutson have all been invited to their Evaluation Camp next week.

Smilanic's name isn't on the roster. Any insight as to why?

He had a terrible 2nd half, there are other rumors but I can't get into as I don't know the details at all.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Hope they still play. Good chance for the B and C prospects who never would have made team USA, Canada to shine and get good experiences. Like Roy/Kidney/Tuch/Biondi. Too bad Smilinic got rejected.

Reactions: Sam de Mtl

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Meant : Thinking his "terrible 2nd half" inspired Ty to seek a change in schools.

he said he wanted more ice time.

Hope they still play. Good chance for the B and C prospects who never would have made team USA, Canada to shine and get good experiences. Like Roy/Kidney/Tuch/Biondi. Too bad Smilinic got rejected.

wouldn't expect any of Kidney, Biondi or Tuch to make it. Would be great if any did though, especially Biondi since he had such a great season and imo should have been picked over his teammate Dominic James. Only 4 U-20 skaters scored more goals in the NCAA then Biondi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad