Prospect Info: WJC 2022 part 2: Picking Back Up In August

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Russia got stripped of the champions league final, and the F1 removed its race from there too. I think Sweden and another country which escapes my mind recently said they will not play their world cup qualifiers against Russia.

The societal trend indicates that Russia will not be invited to this tournament.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Russia got stripped of the champions league final, and the F1 removed its race from there too. I think Sweden and another country which escapes my mind recently said they will not play their world cup qualifiers against Russia.

The societal trend indicates that Russia will not be invited to this tournament.

Poland, Czech Republic and Sweden have all said that they refuse to play Russia in the World Cup Qualifiers.

Last edited:

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018
It creates bad precedent though. It's a little bit like doping. When Amstrong got "caught" they did not ban their whole cycling team even though pretty much everybody knew.
Thing is, Russia did get ban for doping already (at least at the olympics)

bopeep

Jan 22, 2004
bc
When has going back to junior after having an amazing season ever ruined a prospect though? He didn't even make WJC team Canada. He has holes in his game for skating and strength he can work on.

I don't see why we can't try to give him the Bjorkstrand path: Oliver Bjorkstrand Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com
Was 3rd in WHL scoring at 18, went back to WHL at 19 and was even better scoring over goal/game. Now a solid NHLer.

Rushing him into NHL never really works in large markets. Even if he's good enough to be in the NHL skill wise, he may not be there mentally/physically. It's time to take a slower path for a change. Gallagher/Point turned out alright too by playing out their junior years outside NHL even though they were elite in draft+1.
I really hope he makes Team Canada for 2022 WJC 2.0

bopeep

Jan 22, 2004
bc
haven't heard anything on that yet. They are allowed to keep the same rosters, so players that are now too old can still play but no word if teams will be the same or new line ups.
You have to think that some of the players on the original teams may be injured or have other commitments and some replacements would be expected

Reactions: montreal

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
You have to think that some of the players on the original teams may be injured or have other commitments and some replacements would be expected
There will be a handful for sure. Perfetti, McTavish etc...

Reactions: bopeep

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Providence HC will be back as USA's HC, 2 assistant coaches are Farrell/Dobes HC's on their teams.

USA Hockey will host a summer evaluation camp in advance of the 2022 championship with further details to come.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
We didn’t get to this subject with several GMs, but we did speak to the one who oversees the player who was Canada’s captain at the interrupted tournament from this past winter.

We asked Montreal Canadiens GM Kent Hughes how he’d feel about permitting Kaiden Guhle to play at the World Juniors in mid-August, just before coming to NHL training camp.

“I think in Guhle’s case, I talked to him in Edmonton after his game (on March 4), and it was pretty shocking the amount of hockey he’s had to play and will have to play. The Memorial Cup is coming up so late (end of June) and there’s very little recovery time (if the Oil Kings make it). It’s almost like it could be 18 months of straight hockey.

“It’s not optimal, certainly. If you’re asking if, as an organization, we have a position or that we would recommend that he not participate, we haven’t had that conversation. It’s not that simple if the player wants to go represent his country. We’ll tackle that at a later point, and he may have his own thoughts about it.”

Should Guhle adamantly want to participate, we asked Hughes if he could see the tournament as a springboard into training camp for the player.

“It could be,” he said. “It’s not so much training camp that we’re worried about, though. We’re worried about the development over the course of the year and just making sure that he doesn’t get run down and injured.”

Again, we didn’t broach this subject with too many GMs. But you have to think many of them have the same concerns.

Reactions: bopeep and montreal

Cookie007

Mar 23, 2011

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
So in August, we could have these players at the wjc.
*did not make the team in December.

Canada:
Guhle
Roy*
Kidney*

US:
Smilanic
Biondi*

Slovakia:
Slaf
Mesar

Czech:
Mysak

Finland:
Kapanen
Nurmi

Austria:
Vinzenz Rohrer*

I think Guhle and Mysak won't end up going

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
So who should we expect to compete in the u20s?

Obviously,
- Slaf, Mesar 🇸🇰
- Guhle, Barron 🇨🇦
- Mysak 🇨🇿

But What about
- ¿Farrell, Hutson? 🇺🇸
- ¿Kapanen? 🇫🇮

Any other Habs prospect with a shot?

Ad

Ad

Ad