Speculation: With the third pick in the 2024 NHL draft the Anaheim Ducks select...(Draft is June 28th @ 4pm PT. ESPN. ESPN+)

Who do the Ducks take at pick 3?

• Ivan Demidov

Votes: 37 18.3%
  • Anton Silayev

Votes: 36 17.8%
  • Artyom Levshunov

Votes: 81 40.1%
  • Cayden Lindstrom

Votes: 21 10.4%
  • Sam Dickinson

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Zeev Buium

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Carter Yakemchuk

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
He is playing at a ridiculously high level for his age. Look at the amazing ducks young d players and their horrible +/- despite being very promising. It is honestly expected. I would also add that points are totally overvalued for d. the highest producers are playing a completely irresponsible way that won’t work in the nhl and Silayev was coached by a legend that preached doing things the right way based off of his experience. Points me very little to me. I still want to see how he can handle the puck under pressure.

For the record, not saying he is going to be amazing, just saying the fact that he is a heavily relied on kid in the khl is ridiculously impressive and his point total as a shutdown d doesn’t reflect his potential or effectiveness.
Silayev isn't really a project pick but he is a projection pick. If a team thinks he can generate 45+ points offensively then he is worthy of a top 2 pick. If a team thinks he can generate 30-45 points then he is a top 3-6 pick. If a team sees little offense then he is probably an 7-14 pick. We'll know how teams feel on draft day.

Reactions: lwvs84 and ScarTroy

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Yes and no. When you look at the players he had more productive years than, he has a couple more points than players who played half the games he did. Total numbers, yes, but…:dunno: Also, he scored 6 of those 11 points over 4 games in the first 6 games of the season. I don’t think it means he can’t get better offensively, but I think it’s also more likely a flukey hot streak than anything else.

Other interesting stats that don’t necessarily mean anything in particular. He got more PP time than all but 1 of the other defenseman, and was virtually never used on the PK. Hits a lot. Worst +/- for D and 2nd worst on team by 1 at -9 (still impressive at his age).

I know you have your opinion of “on pace” for points, so let’s not assume those guys that had near his points in less games weren’t going to trail off as well. Playing in a pro league at 17 is tough, and I’m not going to give other guys more credit than they deserve when they didn’t play near a full season in the pros at that age.

And I’ve said it before, but I don’t care much that most of those points came in an early stretch, if it was that easy he wouldn’t be at #1 on that list. I know he’s a gamble, but the payoff could be enormous.

I know you aren’t shitting on the guy, just pointing out on pace means nothing, if it did Mac would have been PPG this season.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I know you have your opinion of “on pace” for points, so let’s not assume those guys that had near his points in less games weren’t going to trail off as well. Playing in a pro league at 17 is tough, and I’m not going to give other guys more credit than they deserve when they didn’t play near a full season in the pros at that age.

And I’ve said it before, but I don’t care much that most of those points came in an early stretch, if it was that easy he wouldn’t be at #1 on that list. I know he’s a gamble, but the payoff could be enormous.

I know you aren’t shitting on the guy, just pointing out on pace means nothing, if it did Mac would have been PPG this season.
I think my main post was people going “ooh points record” when he set it by 2-3 points over the forwards who played 20-30 games. Damned impressive for 17 year olds period, but it’s not a “WOW!” type record for me, if that makes sense. I just woulda been more impressed if it was spread out more. It’s his record though. Still impressive.

The rest of it was just things I thought were interesting, both good and bad. I’m not opposed to the guy, but I’m also looking more at the “potential” in “potential unicorn” whereas other people I think got hung up on the “unicorn” half of it. As I’ve stated, I don’t have the knowledge base to have a favorite in the race, and just trust Madden et al.

There were 1 or 2 scouting reports saying that he could also be Zadorov. That would be ugly for 3rd OA. Other people say Pronger and Chara, which seems like it’s optimistic just because, well, Pronger and Chara.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I think my main post was people going “ooh points record” when he set it by 2-3 points over the forwards who played 20-30 games. Damned impressive for 17 year olds period, but it’s not a “WOW!” type record for me, if that makes sense. I just woulda been more impressed if it was spread out more. It’s his record though. Still impressive.

The rest of it was just things I thought were interesting, both good and bad. I’m not opposed to the guy, but I’m also looking more at the “potential” in “potential unicorn” whereas other people I think got hung up on the “unicorn” half of it. As I’ve stated, I don’t have the knowledge base to have a favorite in the race, and just trust Madden et al.

There were 1 or 2 scouting reports saying that he could also be Zadorov. That would be ugly for 3rd OA. Other people say Pronger and Chara, which seems like it’s optimistic just because, well, Pronger and Chara.
Realistically, he'll probably end up somewhere between the Pronger/Chara and Zadarov reports. The trick will be, what's he closer to? A less dirty (but still physical) Pronger would pretty much guarantee this team is competitive for over a decade. Hell, give me Pronger's defense and physicality with 30% of the peak offensive ability and I'll still be happy with him at #3. With Zellweger and Minty in the system, any D we draft is probably going to be limited offensively anyways with little PP time available.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
These are fair points so I’m not going to address most of them, but how was Faber better offensively in his draft year than Silayev? He had the exact same pace in the NDTP as Silayev did in the KHL. Silayev has the best draft eligible year from a production standpoint in the KHL. That includes forwards.

Pace = ppg rate
Raw production = total points

You're denoting scoring pace (ppg rate). Let's look at them.

SilayevD+0 splits
Game SetGamesGAPtsPPG+/-
Total
63​
3​
8​
11​
0.17​
-9​
1 to 9
9​
1​
5​
6​
0.67​
1​
10 to 63
54​
2​
3​
5​
0.09​
-10​

FaberD+0
LeagueGamesGAPtsPPG+/-
NTDP
46​
3​
9​
12​
0.26​
n/a
USHL
19​
1​
8​
9​
0.47​
10​

Faber was almost 0.10 ppg rate better in the NTDP. In the USHL, he showed he can produce at a higher rate.

As I stated in my OP, Faber was "a bit better offensively". If you're gonna quote me, then quote me correctly. And you completely missed the point that I was using Faber as a potential positive example that Silayev's offense might develop over the years.

===================
Silayev and U18 KHL production
===================

KHL U18 scoring, All Time.png

It is disingenuous to be touting "raw production" to prove offensive prowess. When we look at the points per game (ppg) rate for that same group, Silayev drops significantly down the rankings. Michkov more than doubled Silayev's ppg rate! If all those players below Silayev played the same amount of games as Silayev, then their scoring pace would greatly produce more "raw production" than Silayev.

Reactions: Deuce22

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Pace = ppg rate
Raw production = total points

You're denoting scoring pace (ppg rate). Let's look at them.

SilayevD+0 splits
Game SetGamesGAPtsPPG+/-
Total
63​
3​
8​
11​
0.17​
-9​
1 to 9
9​
1​
5​
6​
0.67​
1​
10 to 63
54​
2​
3​
5​
0.09​
-10​

FaberD+0
LeagueGamesGAPtsPPG+/-
NTDP
46​
3​
9​
12​
0.26​
n/a
USHL
19​
1​
8​
9​
0.47​
10​

Faber was almost 0.10 ppg rate better in the NTDP. In the USHL, he showed he can produce at a higher rate.

As I stated in my OP, Faber was "a bit better offensively". If you're gonna quote me, then quote me correctly. And you completely missed the point that I was using Faber as a potential positive example that Silayev's offense might develop over the years.

===================
Silayev and U18 KHL production
===================

View attachment 886116

It is disingenuous to be touting "raw production" to prove offensive prowess. When we look at the points per game (ppg) rate for that same group, Silayev drops significantly down the rankings. Michkov more than doubled Silayev's ppg rate! If all those players below Silayev played the same amount of games as Silayev, then their scoring pace would greatly produce more "raw production" than Silayev.
On the Faber point that was my bad, I originally read his stat line as 9 total points but that was the assist column. Still not seeing the connection how 0.10ppg better from NTDP to KHL makes him even a bit better offensively though, but whatever have that I guess.

And looking at that table, I’m not going to give guys credit for games they never played. Imagine his PPG pace if they took him out at 39 games. There’s no telling those guys also don’t hit that rookie wall you love to write about when it pertains to NHL rookies.

Remember what Macs PPG rate looked like around game 40? That’s why I’m not going to give a single person on that list credit for points or games they didn’t play, and use it as a knock against him that he played more games so he was subject to a much greater chance of hitting scoreless streaks.

And I’m not going to compare him to Michkov, who is a Bedard rival, but if I even gave credit to Kaprizov for games he didn’t play and let him keep his pace, he’d have finished 5 points ahead of Silayev. Same with Tarasenko. Both of them are prominent scorers in the NHL.

Last edited:

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
One thing to consider is that not only do the Ducks have an excellent track record with defensemen, their Russian scout is widely considered to be one of the best in the game. My understanding is that his reputation is very well regarded around the league. If the Ducks think either of the Russians are the BPA for the 3rd, I have lots of faith.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Tools:
1. Anton Silayev
2. Artyom Levshunov
3. Sam Dickinson
4. Zayne Parekh
5. Stian Solberg
6. Carter Yakemchuk
7. Zeev Buium

Hockey Sense:
1. Zayne Parekh
2. Zeev Buium
3. Artyom Levshunov
4. Carter Yakemchuk
5. Sam Dickinson
6. Stian Solberg
7. Anton Silayev

Offensive Upside:
1. Zayne Parekh
2. Carter Yakemchuk
3. Artyom Levshunov
4. Zeev Buium
5. Sam Dickinson
6. Stian Solberg
7. Anton Silayev

Defensive Upside:
1. Anton Silayev
2. Artyom Levshunov
3. Zeev Buium
4. Sam Dickinson
5. Stian Solberg
6. Zayne Parekh
7. Carter Yakemchuk

Floor:
1. Artyom Levshunov
2. Sam Dickinson
3. Zeev Buium
4. Anton Silayev
5. Zayne Parekh
6. Carter Yakemchuk
7. Stian Solberg

Analytics:
1. Zayne Parekh
2. Zeev Buium
3. Artyom Levshunov
4. Sam Dickinson
5. Carter Yakemchuk
6. Anton Silayev
7. Stian Solberg

Average Ranking:
1. Artyom Levshunov
2. Zayne Parekh
3. Zeev Buium
4. Sam Dickinson
5. Anton Silayev
6. Carter Yakemchuk
7. Stian Solberg

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
No Demidov or Levshunov seems suspect.
So I guess it's either they plan to move down and neither will be available, OR they are seriously down on Demidov?

Either way looks like it's a defenceman we're drafting, which i don't think is a surprise.

EDIT: Brainfart, for some reason I thought Iginla was the only forward on there. Regardless, I'm not that hot on any of the forwards there.

Last edited:
Reactions: ohcomeonref

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
There are some rankings that have Lev or Silayev pretty low. Ducks just may like a group of defenseman that much more than Lev or aren’t even bothering if they think for sure he is gone at 2OA.

If legit of course.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
In no order

Sennecke
Lindstrom
Silayev
Yakemchuk
Dickinson
Iginla

First we've been linked to Iginla. Besides that, this list checks out from what we've heard. Most interesting is still no link to Lev or Demidov.

I assume these are the guys we’ve been looking hard into… I imagine the left over from Demidov/levshunov is certainly on our list.

I do think lindstrom makes a lot of sense for Chicago

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Maybe we have a trade in place for draft day, that is allowing Demidov to Montreal at 3. If Chicago goes levshunov

Would make sense to not really pay Demidov much attention

I really hope so, but I can't remember the last time a team traded down so high in the draft. We could realistically get our choice of dman at 5 as well if we are certain Columbus will go Lindstrom

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad