Player Discussion Matthew Poitras

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Why are people saying he wasn’t reach?
Don't know anything about him, but the scouting reports had him going from a late 1st to late 2nd; which is where he fell.

Don't know anything about him except the reports, so if you have opinions about him, I'm curious to hear it. He went #54, so it's kind of on par to these, maybe SLIGHTLY earlier, unless there was a guy you would have preferred still there. (I'm personally not in the know past the 1st round, so I like hearing opinions)

From the link you sent:

Ranked #78 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM

Ranked #45 by FCHOCKEY

Ranked #74 by TSN/BOB McKENZIE

Ranked #73 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY

Ranked #87 by TSN/CRAIG BUTTON

Ranked #45 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)

Ranked #81 by RECRUIT SCOUTING

Ranked #59 by DOBBERPROSPECTS

Ranked #53 by DRAFT PROSPECTS HOCKEY

Ranked #75 by SMAHT SCOUTING

Ranked #71 by THE PUCK AUTHORITY

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

"A hard-working center who takes his shifts as they come, and finds a way to make a difference. A slick skater who is able to make creative plays in the neutral zone. Has a quick, proactive stick that is noticeable offensively and defensively. Needs to get stronger and work on making better decisions along the boards. All-in-all, a player who can play in all situations and be relied upon to make a difference."

Anyone wanna guess which player the scouting blurb I just posted is describing?

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
"A hard-working center who takes his shifts as they come, and finds a way to make a difference. A slick skater who is able to make creative plays in the neutral zone. Has a quick, proactive stick that is noticeable offensively and defensively. Needs to get stronger and work on making better decisions along the boards. All-in-all, a player who can play in all situations and be relied upon to make a difference."

Isn't this a Poitras scouting report? :laugh:

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
This is how you look for the next Bergeron/Krejci. Stop drafting super athletic guys with no skill, or highly skilled guys that are tiny. Target mid-sized players with high hockey IQ and work ethic.

Not saying the kid will turn out like Krech/Berg, but at least this is the way to try.
Still think we need more darts in general, but I'm always hopeful at drafts. Let's revisit in 3+ years.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

That’s a reach
several outlets had him as high as 45. once you get out of the 1st round the term "reach" becomes almost meaningless anyway, especially with the uncertainty created by the covid years.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC

is he basically a saint?

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
Not worried about his size. 5'11" and marked as 175lbs. is pretty good for a kid.
He will add some muscle.
As for height, not worried. It's not like he is 4'11"

Sounds like a Swiss army knife. Gives him several paths to a roster spot and ticks off all the boxes for what the Bruins would expect to draft.

Sounds like a solid 2nd round pick to me.
I agree regarding the size. Knowing nothing about the player, when I read “undersized”, I cringed thinking we got some 5’6” kid. 5’11”???? In today’s NHL that’s fine.

Hope we got a good’n.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

That’s a reach

A lot of outlets seem to have him in the 40 range. Lowest I've seen was from Button, who had him in the 80's.

Rankings​

Reactions: Gee Wally

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour

PB 37? Edit: Ah, Cirelli

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Don't know anything about him, but the scouting reports had him going from a late 1st to late 2nd; which is where he fell.

Don't know anything about him except the reports, so if you have opinions about him, I'm curious to hear it. He went #54, so it's kind of on par to these, maybe SLIGHTLY earlier, unless there was a guy you would have preferred still there. (I'm personally not in the know past the 1st round, so I like hearing opinions)

From the link you sent:

Ranked #78 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM

Ranked #45 by FCHOCKEY

Ranked #74 by TSN/BOB McKENZIE

Ranked #73 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY

Ranked #87 by TSN/CRAIG BUTTON

Ranked #45 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)

Ranked #81 by RECRUIT SCOUTING

Ranked #59 by DOBBERPROSPECTS

Ranked #53 by DRAFT PROSPECTS HOCKEY

Ranked #75 by SMAHT SCOUTING

Ranked #71 by THE PUCK AUTHORITY
I really wanted Goyette with that pick and will struggle sleeping tonight because of it. I see so much skill in him that made me dislike this pick already.

Reactions: WhalerTurnedBruin55

Shooksie

D5 Beaut
Jun 19, 2011
feels like a "safe" pick with higher floor and lower ceiling than what was available. read that if he works on his game and continues to improve, he could be a reliable and solid bottom six C. i don't hate the pick cause C is a need but not excited about it

Babajingo

A lot of outlets seem to have him in the 40 range. Lowest I've seen was from Button, who had him in the 80's.

Rankings​

That McKenzie ranking is his mid-season rank. I think his final rank is 74. Either way, seems to fit around the 54 pick.

Reactions: PB37

Shooksie

D5 Beaut
Jun 19, 2011
a 20 or so pick gap (projection v pick spot) in the 2nd round is different than in the 1st round. this is not a reach

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Anyone have a scouting report?
Poitras may not have as much offensive flash as some other draft-eligible OHL players but he has many tools that I think will allow him to translate to the pro level. His ability to win the puck back and make the proper reads on the ice stand out. He plays with a quick active stick which allows him to disrupt cycles and break up lanes whenever he is on the ice. Poitras has the ability to draw defenders in and find teammates in the slot, creating high danger scoring chances for his team. While he has some aspects to work on in his game, most notably his skating, I think he’ll make an NHL team happy in the middle rounds of the draft

Not a reach which is a positive, hard worker is always good. Let's hope it pans out.

Sounds like a Studnicka like bio..

Reactions: LSCII and Alicat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad