Player Discussion Matthew Poitras

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Pronman:

Tier: Projected has a chance to play games

Skating: Below NHL average
Puck skills: NHL average
Hockey sense: NHL average
Compete: Above NHL average
Shot: Above NHL average

Background: Poitras played a significant role on a good OHL team this season in Guelph, lining up at center and wing. He was the 12th pick in his OHL draft.

Analysis: Poitras brings a high skill and compete level to every shift. He’s able to manipulate pucks well in tight areas to create offense. He shows good instincts as a playmaker and can shoot the puck well enough to score from the dots. He’s not the biggest guy, but he works hard, wins puck battles and isn’t afraid to take a hit to generate chances. The main downside to his game other than his frame is his lack of speed and ability to separate from checks. For that reason I can’t yet see him as an NHL’er, but his skill and hustle gives him a shot.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Dom wrote this mid season
Reading a lot of different things about his skating, some like Dom, saying it's excellent and other spots saying it needs work.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Wheeler:

There’s a lot to like about Poitras the kid, the athlete, and the player. He’s got a brother who plays Division I lacrosse at Loyola and he played it at a high level himself until he was 15 and had to choose hockey. He plays a tenacious skill game that puts him on the puck all the time and endeared itself to his head coach and general manager in Guelph, George Burnett (a staple of junior hockey). He’s one of those players who finds a way onto the scoresheet without necessarily looking like the most dangerous or dynamic player on the ice. He’s a crafty playmaker who can play with the puck on his stick or play the give-and-go in and out of space. He does a good job supporting play and then pushing tempo back in the other direction. His tools get mostly Bs across the board, though, and that probably means that if he makes it he’s just a player (though I think he’ll get the most out of himself and that might be enough to get there).

Here’s Poitras on his game: “I’m a skilled forward. I pride myself on combining a skill game and a hard-working game to win battles in the corner but also protect the puck and make a play. The name of my game is having the puck on my stick, so that’s what I like to do is go get it and then hold it.”

And here’s his teammate, Michael Buchinger: “I’ve known him for a couple of years now and he’s a great guy and a great player. He does all of the little things right, he’s a very hard worker, I think he’s a good skater, he’s got great hands, he’s got good vision, and he’s really creative on the ice. He’s a great guy to have on your team not just as a player but also as a person in the dressing room as well.”

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Absolutely can get on board with this pick. Early year was projected anywhere between late first and early third round. Ended up going about where he should have gone.

Seems like he has every chance of being a hard-working middle-six center for the Bs. In the part of the draft where it starts becoming more and more a crapshoot, especially this season, Poitras seems like he is about as safe and good a pick as the Bs could have made. Great job by DS and the scouts. This kid's skill set and strengths are what the Bs are going to need.

Reactions: PlayMakers

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Not worried about his size. 5'11" and marked as 175lbs. is pretty good for a kid.
He will add some muscle.
As for height, not worried. It's not like he is 4'11"

Sounds like a Swiss army knife. Gives him several paths to a roster spot and ticks off all the boxes for what the Bruins would expect to draft.

Sounds like a solid 2nd round pick to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad