Player Discussion Matthew Poitras

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
I like that he has a motor, but yeah, from the reporting seems like your regular 2nd round pick. 10% chance of becoming an NHL player, even less for a top-6.

Reactions: LSCII

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Smart, good motor, good character all good signs. Hopefully his skating is ok. Another report said he lacked explosiveness.

Right now, his skating doesn't matter. Obviously you don't want someone who makes battleship turns like Nick Ritchie but skating is often worked on by these kids ( Point, Bergeron as examples ) and even as they get older. Lucic didn't pick up an extra gear until he was like 21/22. Kevan Miller's skating suddenly exploded when he was 30. It's all about putting the work in - some do, some don't. But it seems like one of this kid's strengths is hard work, so I would think it's an area he will address if it's even a problem to begin with.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Sounds like a decent middle option and in the 2nd round that is perfectly fine. Good pick, nice to pick a player where projected.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Right now, his skating doesn't matter. Obviously you don't want someone who makes battleship turns like Nick Ritchie but skating is often worked on by these kids ( Point, Bergeron as examples ) and even as they get older. Lucic didn't pick up an extra gear until he was like 21/22. Kevan Miller's skating suddenly exploded when he was 30. It's all about putting the work in - some do, some don't. But it seems like one of this kid's strengths is hard work, so I would think it's an area he will address if it's even a problem to begin with.
Battleship turns hahaha best 1 of the day 😄 🤣

Reactions: PB37

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
In the pre-draft thead i uad said:

"Really hoping we come out of this draft with some higher ceiling guys vs high floor guys. Size would be nice, but ultimately I want guys who have "fight" in them. As they say, its not he size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog."

Poitras seems to fit this, so no complaints about the pick. Can't wait to see how he does in Rookie Camp

Last edited:
Reactions: Ladyfan and Alicat

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
This is how you look for the next Bergeron/Krejci. Stop drafting super athletic guys with no skill, or highly skilled guys that are tiny. Target mid-sized players with high hockey IQ and work ethic.

Not saying the kid will turn out like Krech/Berg, but at least this is the way to try.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
This is how you look for the next Bergeron/Krejci. Stop drafting super athletic guys with no skill, or highly skilled guys that are tiny. Target mid-sized players with high hockey IQ and work ethic.

Not saying the kid will turn out like Krech/Berg, but at least this is the way to try.
There are other ways to like trades but then you end up doing what habs did yet again and part with a young horse on backend

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Poitras sounds like a good pick. Would have prefered Goyette with him being avaiable but I see the point of going with Poitras. Hope they will be right about the pick in the future and he will be a player.

When I write about a player, I ask a pro skating coach for thoughts

Do you like the pick?

Reactions: PlayMakers

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010

Bingo! No point in swinging for the fences when a guy like Poitras is still available. Go the intelligent route and get a kid that is already showing a lot of promise in a well-rounded way and still has plenty of ceiling. Throw in the high IQ and strong motor and it's a very good pick at 54.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I like that he has a motor, but yeah, from the reporting seems like your regular 2nd round pick. 10% chance of becoming an NHL player, even less for a top-6.

Well yes when you frame the discussion like that, it would have been true of absolutely any player they drafted there

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
However, any team looking for a hardworking two-way center with strong playmaking ability should take a stab at him. He really shouldn’t be on the board past the mid-second round; at the latest, the early third. A strong end to the regular season and four points in five playoff games could help raise his draft stock.

In addition, he was one of two players from the OHL ranked as an A-prospect on the NHL Central Scouting 21-22 Preliminary Players To Watch List, which projects a prospect to be a first-round candidate. The other is Kingston Frontenacs forward Shane Wright.

NHL Potential

Poitras could turn into a good middle-six center in the NHL. He has the playmaking ability and elusiveness to compete against players bigger than him. In addition, his hockey IQ and vision will be valuable on both sides of the puck and make him beneficial to a team’s special teams units, specifically the power play. An NHL comparison could be Florida Panthers forward Claude Giroux.

Sounds like a solid pick, and nothing off the board here (Sweeney not trying to be the smartest guy in the room). Hopefully it works out and he can be developed into what we need. If he reaches his ceiling, we got a steal... if not, then back to the drawing board.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
FXJ7e2OXEAYjSxd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad