Player Discussion Matthew Poitras

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
If he can't go back to the CHL and put up big numbers post draft year I'm going to be worried.

I really want to see a center we took early do this.
Harrison was almost a PPG guy I think I read in one of Dom`s offerings which isn`t bad but I think Dom also mentioned he was hoping for a bit more from him but I`m still intrigued by Harrison. Either way, the pandemic really threw a wrench into these kids development so without being half as knowledgeable as many here, thinking the development curve might be a bit behind for this group compared to others having not played a ton in the last few yrs

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I have read he lacks that explosiveness to separate himself from others but he sure looked solid there
The same can be said for Bergy and to an extent Krejci. Once they get going they can get some separation but neither is known for their skating.

I just hope people give this kid and all of our other picks this year a chance.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The same can be said for Bergy and to an extent Krejci. Once they get going they can get some separation but neither is known for their skating.

I just hope people give this kid and all of our other picks this year a chance.
exactly, with you there, high hockey IQ for both Bergy/DK. I look at guys like Datsyuk or Zetterberg over the years too, good but not blazing speed who use that IQ and obvious high skill level to have had the success they did. Not going to put this young man in that class but really liking what I`m hearing about him and how he plays, understanding loads of room to grow and improve

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Well, Studnicka has "blazing speed" but so far it hasn't translated to anything special when he's played for the big club.
I'm holding out hope that Monty can help him become something. As others have said here, speed isn't everything if you lack the IQ and overall toolbox. We don't know too much about whether or not Stud can put it all together. Feels like he didn't get the positive attention from Butch whenever he played here. Like all of the picks, patience is in order.

Last edited:

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Best of luck to the kid as he works on become an NHL player for the Boston Bruins. Kind of funny how it seems like its a right of passage for Bruins draft picks to have fans complain about them being selected. Hell even David Pastrnak had folks who complained about him being selected :laugh:

From the thread when Pastrnak was slected.....

"how in the hell do you pass on Barbashev there. I am upset."

"I was hoping for either Barbashyov or Scherbak...but Pasternak is a decent pick too......I guess."

"Great the wussification of the Bruins continues. Should have taken Lemieux's kid."

"This kid is soft as dog ****. MEH pick."

"At least 10-15 guys I take before this kid, another small, soft forward is not what was needed here. They have spooner and koko needed a big winger with some skill or more D depth. Scoutiing reports that even like him say his compete level is questionable."

"meh i wanted Scherbak and i will stick with that."

:cheers:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Cirelli was only about a ppg OHL player

I don't think massive points is everything. Especially if the prospect is conscious of all three zones on the ice

OK but I am sick of drafting guys and then them having terrible point production the year after.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Best of luck to the kid as he works on become an NHL player for the Boston Bruins. Kind of funny how it seems like its a right of passage for Bruins draft picks to have fans complain about them being selected. Hell even David Pastrnak had folks who complained about him being selected :laugh:

"I was hoping for either Barbashyov or Scherbak...but Pasternak is a decent pick too......I guess."

"Great the wussification of the Bruins continues. Should have taken Lemieux's kid."

"At least 10-15 guys I take before this kid, another small, soft forward is not what was needed here. They have spooner and koko needed a big winger with some skill or more D depth. Scoutiing reports that even like him say his compete level is questionable."

Jeeesh, I hope I wasn't one of those quoted.

Trizz617

Jan 5, 2018
Boston/Quebec
soundcloud.com

lol...we definitely dodged a bullet passing on Scherbak. Didn't he flame out of the league?

Reactions: ON3M4N

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Only scrimmage stat. Still nice

**HockeyCanada Jul 30, 2021

Connor Bedard had two goals and an assist,
@poitras_matt added four helpers and Matthew Kieper made 37 saves as evened the intrasquad series at Canada’s National Men’s Under-18 Team summer camp by doubling up 10-5.

** Matt Dolloff Jul 8, 2022

PSA, it's "PAW-trah," not "POY-triss." I was saying the second thing too.

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
Sounds like another reach?

FXJ519EX0AQf_5s.jpg

Reactions: wintersej

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
I think he was a good pick, he's got so some shit to work on for sure but his ceiling is a couple of floors higher than some of the guys I wanted at 54
Looks like I'm trading Hockey TV in for the CHL package this season

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
I live in Guelph ....and watch the Guelph Storm but not last year when Matthew Poitras played ...mostly due to covid reasons but I'll make an effort to see him live at least 10 times this year coming up ... I'm no scout but I've watched and played hockey my whole life so I'll fill you in with my opinion as it comes ... I'll try and see him vs weak and strong teams, see him against elite shut down defenders, etc, and see if he can rise to the occasion.... sounds like he has compete and play making abilities, two things not teachable so I'm optimistic ...if anyone has any specific questions or sees team matchups they'd like me to see for specific reasons, let me know, I'll try to make it and fill you in (just got back from a week at the beach ...Sandbanks beach in Picton for you Ontarioans and Quebecers in the know for world class great lake beaches ...so first I'm able to respond to respond to the draft. )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad