Transfer: Winter Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I would say LFC only paid that much because they had to with the sale of Coutinho. If no Coutinho deal I don't think they even consider going that high. Van Dijk is still to this day the record purchase for LFC. They are very cheap owners.

They paid £75m not 93
Liverpool ranks #3 in most expensive defenseman
#2 in most expensive goalie
#13 and 24 in most expensive midfielders
#42, 48, 55, 59 and 60 in most expensive fowards.

All except 1 were bought under this ownership.

And you're seriously saying they're cheap?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Moving the goalposts Evilo. We are discussing CB specifically, not defenders as a whole. I agree City have spent crazy amounts on RB/LB (mostly crap ones anyways like Mendy).
Not really moving them, I didn't have the breakdown by position.
Now I have it.

City has signed 3 of the top 6 CBs, 6 of the top 12.
No other team has more than 3 in the top 25.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Liverpool ranks #3 in most expensive defenseman
#2 in most expensive goalie
#13 and 24 in most expensive midfielders
#42, 48, 55, 59 and 60 in most expensive fowards.

All except 1 were bought under this ownership.

And you're seriously saying they're cheap?
Yes, they are cheap. Compared to the other top clubs in the premier league. The cheapest is still Tottenham but LFC are clearly behind both Manchester clubs, Chelsea and Arsenal. Heck even Everton have invested more recently in their team than Liverpool.

Alisson + VVD = Coutinho. Without that sale they would have NEVER spend that much.

The rest of their purchase were not that much compared to other clubs.

mmk786

Mar 3, 2004
Not really moving them, I didn't have the breakdown by position.
Now I have it.

City has signed 3 of the top 6 CBs, 6 of the top 12.
No other team has more than 3 in the top 25.
Can you post the entire list please? Top 10 or something. Would make for interesting reading

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes, they are cheap. Compared to the other top clubs in the premier league. The cheapest is still Tottenham but LFC are clearly behind both Manchester clubs, Chelsea and Arsenal. Heck even Everton have invested more recently in their team than Liverpool.

Alisson + VVD = Coutinho. Without that sale they would have NEVER spend that much.

The rest of their purchase were not that much compared to other clubs.
You know that's not a proof they're "cheap".

Rest of their pruchases are not much? Keita cost 60M€. Tied for 11th all time. Fabinho is tied for 22nd. Them together is 100M.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
You know that's not a proof they're "cheap".

Rest of their pruchases are not much? Keita cost 60M€. Tied for 11th all time. Fabinho is tied for 22nd. Them together is 100M.
Yes, that was the only year they invested in the team. The rest of the years they were selling to buy.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I think except Real Madrid and Barcelona nobody go above their mean.

You, as a Liverpool fan, have frankly zero right to complain about prices. That was the original point by @mmk786 and it's true. Not when you spend that much money on so many players. You can use the Coutinho all you want, that has absolutely no sense. Liverpool could have spent on 10 players with the Coutinho money and they chose to outbid everyone, including themselves for players who weren't #1 at their position when they bought them (except maybe Fabinho, who's arguable).
Great for them, it worked out. Big time. Klopp knew the players he wanted and it was an obvious success.
But the fact is that the numbers were completely silly.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
93 m USD or 75 m pounds.

I don't disagree with what LFC did. The proof is in the results obtained since then and Van Dijk has been a heck of a signing for them (probably their best and they have made some excellent ones)
But to claim the CB market is inflated because of City buying Ake in 2020 when Liverpool paid almost double that in 2017 is disingenuous.
I don’t think it is at all. To pay the best player at their position top dollar is inevitable. If you want to say it set the market I think that might be fair, but again that’s the best guy getting the top amount.

Paying out 5/12 highest transfer fees of all time to players where only 1 of them (Laporte) was among the top 12 CBs in the world while at Man City (Ruben Dias might get there but isn’t yet) ruins the market. I would say it’s even fair to argue none of those players were among the top 12 at their position (maybe Laporte) when City bought them either. What runs the market is paying mediocre players like they are among the best in the world; not paying the best to be the best

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think except Real Madrid and Barcelona nobody go above their mean.

You, as a Liverpool fan, have frankly zero right to complain about prices. That was the original point by @mmk786 and it's true. Not when you spend that much money on so many players. You can use the Coutinho all you want, that has absolutely no sense. Liverpool could have spent on 10 players with the Coutinho money and they chose to outbid everyone, including themselves for players who weren't #1 at their position when they bought them (except maybe Fabinho, who's arguable).
Great for them, it worked out. Big time. Klopp knew the players he wanted and it was an obvious success.
But the fact is that the numbers were completely silly.
Yes and No.

Virgil and Alisson were closer to the top players at their position when they were bought compared to like Stones, Otamendi or Mangala. LFC definitely cannot cry poor, but they do also try and keep their net spend in check. A lot of other teams don’t have to sell to make marquee buys. Obviously there are exceptions but when United bought Pogba their biggest sale that summer I think was Morgan Schneiderlin. There’s a difference.
Frankly I am glad LFC didn’t spread the Coutinho money on ten players. LFC needed to get elite talent and they certainly have delivered on that.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Oh yeah duh Laporte. I’m assuming De Ligt will, but to this point I’d say he hasn’t been worth it.
They paid for potential to be sure but he will be worth it and when they sell him it’s probably a profit unless the market resets which is a possibility due to covid.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
They paid for potential to be sure but he will be worth it and when they sell him it’s probably a profit unless the market resets which is a possibility due to covid.
Hardly a posibility he sells for a profit.
He has a 150M release clause and they're paying him as the most expensive defenseman in the history of the game.
So with salaries and bonuses, Juventus will HOPE someone triggers that 150M in order not to lose money.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Hardly a posibility he sells for a profit.
He has a 150M release clause and they're paying him as the most expensive defenseman in the history of the game.
So with salaries and bonuses, Juventus will HOPE someone triggers that 150M in order not to lose money.
Nobody not a single person looks at it like that. You don’t include someone salary lol I get you don’t like De ligt for some reason but this post is hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad