Blue Jays Discussion: Winter Meetings: Because there's no more fitting time to talk baseball than December

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Well, ****. Anyone out there that would be able to help us troubled Sharks fans translate the verbal diarrhea that is being spewed all over this thread?

I don't know much about the Sharks but if they can get a goalie who has 16 playoff wins they should be good. I mean you can reasonably expect all 16 wins to translate over to the Sharks perfectly. It's basically a guaranteed Stanley Cup.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
why not kawasaki until travis is ready?
it's all about bringing back the family for another yr

*vomits*

Play a little bit of shortstop well - X
can hit - X
can hit for extra bases - X
defense - X
energy - check

Kawasaki is horrible, he'd make a decent mascot, that's about it, he slaps an occasional single, has negative arm strength, zero range, there's a reason people call him Kawasucki

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
just move goins to short lol
and it's only for about a month

we have Tulo at short, Goins will play 2nd until Travis is ready, they want someone who can play all over the field as a bench guy.

Kawasaki sucks pretty much everywhere defensively, the only spot when he's just bad and not really horribly pathetic is at 2nd, and the kicker is he can't hit either. There's literally 4000 better options out there.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
we have Tulo at short, Goins will play 2nd until Travis is ready, they want someone who can play all over the field as a bench guy.

Kawasaki sucks pretty much everywhere defensively, the only spot when he's just bad and not really horribly pathetic is at 2nd, and the kicker is he can't hit either. There's literally 4000 better options out there.

No I mean when\if u sit out tulo move goins to ss
(kawasocky I think u meant btw lol

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
What about Andy Burns? He's not amazing at anything, but he's good enough at everything to be able to use him and spend money elsewhere; especially since it'll probably only be for a month and then the occasional call up. Might as well use him.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...rofitable-rewards-for-rogers/article26640038/

"In early September, telecom analyst Greg MacDonald used the Forbes numbers to prepare a rough estimate of the gain the Blue Jays could enjoy because of the increased excitement around the team and its playoff run. He estimated the club could see an additional $20-million at the gate and a boost of about $40-million from higher merchandise sales and ad revenue. Higher costs, including player salaries, could increase expenses by about $20-million, he said."

In 2014 they operated at a loss of 18M though, so it's not all roses.

I am always a bit weary about the Jays' reported profits.

Most teams now are signing TV deals worth tens, if not hundreds of millions per season (Dodgers, DBacks etc). Rogers owns the Jays and their broadcast rights and I think they value them very low (ie only 30M) so what is a huge profit for the parent company looks like a loss for the ball club.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
No I mean when\if u sit out tulo move goins to ss
(kawasocky I think u meant btw lol

But why would you get the guy who sucks when there are far better options out there? The tweet specifically mentioned they wanted someone who could potentially play SS as well. Yes they could move Goins but the more versatility you have the better.

and no I mean Kawasucki, because he sucks.

What about Andy Burns? He's not amazing at anything, but he's good enough at everything to be able to use him and spend money elsewhere; especially since it'll probably only be for a month and then the occasional call up. Might as well use him.

I literally just mentioned him on the last page as fitting the need perfectly. But he's rule 5 draft eligible, if someone wants him to keep on their major league roster he's there to be had. Which is why I don't understand them not putting him on the 40 man roster.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
But why would you get the guy who sucks when there are far better options out there? The tweet specifically mentioned they wanted someone who could potentially play SS as well. Yes they could move Goins but the more versatility you have the better.

I literally just mentioned him on the last page as fitting the need perfectly. But he's rule 5 draft eligible, if someone wants him to keep on their major league roster he's there to be had. Which is why I don't understand them not putting him on the 40 man roster.

But then what of Matt Dominguez? Did you even think about that? Did you consider what would happen if Matt Dominguez wasn't on the 40-man? Panic in the streets, dogs and cats living together, total anarchy! :sarcasm:

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA

who else would accept a backup role for a month+ then get farmed?
I can see it happening even though it's not my favoured choice

LaCarriere

I am always a bit weary about the Jays' reported profits.

Most teams now are signing TV deals worth tens, if not hundreds of millions per season (Dodgers, DBacks etc). Rogers owns the Jays and their broadcast rights and I think they value them very low (ie only 30M) so what is a huge profit for the parent company looks like a loss for the ball club.

Yes, Rogers is somewhat screwing the Jays organization over by not paying the org market value for their TV deal, but it's because there's no competition.

It's kind of a moot point, because they are sort of paying themselves. If Rogers paid the Jays 75M a season for the TV deal that just a loss to Rogers to show a gain to the Jays. At the end of the day they don't have external money coming into the organization for a TV deal, so I believe that's why they have in the past budgeted to operate at some sort of loss.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
I'd put money down that we won't sign Davis. Nor am I sure that I would want to give him the contract he is likely going to sign.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
who else would accept a backup role for a month+ then get farmed?
I can see it happening even though it's not my favoured choice

well pretty much everyone, Andy Burns the guy who's gonna be down there anyway, Jon Diaz who was down there last year. Barney was down there last year until we got him and he was way better than Kawasaki. And those are just guys who were in the organization last year, literally every team has a couple of these guys, and now a bunch of them are free agents.

There are so many players in the minors who are better than Kawasaki. Kawasaki sucks in Buffalo, he wasn't even getting playing time down there for the longest time.

tml19

Nov 30, 2013
Mississauga, Ontario
I'd put money down that we won't sign Davis. Nor am I sure that I would want to give him the contract he is likely going to sign.

Normally I would agree, but the Rogers Center is just built for his swing. If they can sign him and use EE to acquire some additional pieces it is definitely a win. Long shot though. Also would explain the Smoak signing.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
well pretty much everyone, Andy Burns the guy who's gonna be down there anyway, Jon Diaz who was down there last year. Barney was down there last year until we got him and he was way better than Kawasaki. And those are just guys who were in the organization last year, literally every team has a couple of these guys, and now a bunch of them are free agents.

There are so many players in the minors who are better than Kawasaki. Kawasaki sucks in Buffalo, he wasn't even getting playing time down there for the longest time.

Yeah there's lots of guys better
but he's family
he makes everyone loose on the bench and wouldn't have to play more than a couple games
you could add a better sub and keep him in buffalo in case of an injury
kawasaki just needs to be a mascot and a pinch runner mostly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad