Blue Jays Discussion: Winter Meetings: Because there's no more fitting time to talk baseball than December

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LaCarriere

The Royals stopped them in the playoffs right?Bottom line the stats show it .The Royals FOUND the recipe to slow the Jays bats down...
Jays hit 240 vs Royals...what happened?

Hutchinson was an anomaly as i said..You will never see that again in your life time(8 runs of support/5.67 era and 13 wins)..No he wont be with the Jays this year in the starting rotation coming out of spring training ...

Bye bye Eddie and Jose with in next 300 days....the window for Toronto is very SMALL....

Royals got hot and Jays went cold - it happens all the time in the playoffs.

You play 162 games to play a best of 5 or 7 series. All it takes is going cold at the wrong time to undo a 93 win season. If the playoffs were so easy you'd think the Dodgers would have at least made the World Series in their 7 playoff appearances since 2004.

Jays didn't have too much trouble with KC in the regular season, they won the season series 4-3. In the two games Toronto won against KC in the playoffs they scored 11 and 7 runs. It's not like the offense was totally non-existent.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Let me show you the stat lines for Josh, Jose, EE, and Tulo against KC in the ALCS

Josh Donaldson: .261/.370/.478
Jose Bautista: .316/.500/.684
Edwin Encarnacion: .227/.292/.273
Troy Tulowitzki: .304/.304/.522

Only Edwin struggled out of the big four bats. But oh my Kansas City sure did shut down the big bats! Watch out guys, they're going to struggle next year!

Not even just that, it's 6 games. 6! What about the other 167 games they played? :laugh:

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I am literally losing IQ reading this thread.

There goes my ability to do complex math equations and programs.

There goes my high school education.

There goes my ability to remember names (not that I ever had it in the first place :help:)

There goes my ability to n-n-not st-stutter while t-talking

There g-g-goes my ab-ability to f-f-f-form coherent sp-sp-speechjkbvfhcj,xvbfhcbvmcvbhjfdbvcmx.

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Royals got hot and Jays went cold - it happens all the time in the playoffs.

You play 162 games to play a best of 5 or 7 series. All it takes is going cold at the wrong time to undo a 93 win season. If the playoffs were so easy you'd think the Dodgers would have at least made the World Series in their 7 playoff appearances since 2004.

Jays didn't have too much trouble with KC in the regular season, they won the season series 4-3. In the two games Toronto won against KC in the playoffs they scored 11 and 7 runs. It's not like the offense was totally non-existent.

you mean to tell me the Cardinals didn't hit .211 in the playoffs because the Cubs figured out how to beat their hitters but instead because a 5 game sample is really small and lots of variance can happen?

That doesn't seem right to me. The more logical explanation has to be that the 100 win Cardinals are going to be a terrible team moving forward because they can't hit.

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
you mean to tell me the Cardinals didn't hit .211 in the playoffs because the Cubs figured out how to beat their hitters but instead because a 5 game sample is really small and lots of variance can happen?

That doesn't seem right to me. The more logical explanation has to be that the 100 win Cardinals are going to be a terrible team moving forward because they can't hit.

I seriously laughed way harder at this than I should have especially the last line.

Scion

May 25, 2012
I apologize if this has been posted already (I can't find it), but does anyone know what Rogers netted from the gates this season (July onwards)? Please and thank you in advance.

LaCarriere

I apologize if this has been posted already (I can't find it), but does anyone know what Rogers netted from the gates this season (July onwards)? Please and thank you in advance.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...rofitable-rewards-for-rogers/article26640038/

"In early September, telecom analyst Greg MacDonald used the Forbes numbers to prepare a rough estimate of the gain the Blue Jays could enjoy because of the increased excitement around the team and its playoff run. He estimated the club could see an additional $20-million at the gate and a boost of about $40-million from higher merchandise sales and ad revenue. Higher costs, including player salaries, could increase expenses by about $20-million, he said."

In 2014 they operated at a loss of 18M though, so it's not all roses.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
I am literally losing IQ reading this thread.

There goes my ability to do complex math equations and programs.

There goes my high school education.

There goes my ability to remember names (not that I ever had it in the first place :help:)

There goes my ability to n-n-not st-stutter while t-talking

There g-g-goes my ab-ability to f-f-f-form coherent sp-sp-speechjkbvfhcj,xvbfhcbvmcvbhjfdbvcmx.

Wat meen doo yu?!

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Completely irrelevant. Their performance is judged based off of games that Habaneros watched :laugh:

As any San Jose Shark fan about the first 82 games .
Its the final 4 wins in the playoffs that matter right?
Royals figured out how to shut down the Jays,undeniable.

With Eddie and Jose gone?.....Tulo and Donaldson is pretty much the same old same old(Ed and Jose)
As good as they (Ed /Joe)been as Jays,they still couldn't get us to post season alone.
Does anyone believe the Jays can get back the home run production of Joey and Eddie in a trade? I can't see it .

So the masher Jays we witness last year,is over at end of this year or sooner.

Last edited:

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS

With Eddie and Jose gone?.....Tulo and Donaldson is pretty much the same old same old(Ed and Jose)
Does anyone believe Jays can get back the home run production of Joey and Eddie in a trade? I can't see it .

I am unable to comprehend the above post. Nem, any help here? You're also a Sharks fan so maybe you can shed a little light on this :sarcasm:

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
People needs to stop freaking out. The team in the last half of the season was by far and away the best team in the league. We lost Price which obviously is important. Jays added Happ and Chavez. That doesn't make up for Price but does add some depth. If need be the Jays could always add a starter near the trade deadline assuming they do not add one in the off season.

Losing Lowe sucks but he could easily be replaced.

Last year the opening day rotation was

Hutch
Dickey
Norris
Buerhle
Sanchez

This year it will be

Stroman
Estrada
Dickey
Happ
Chavez/Hutch

Scion

May 25, 2012
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...rofitable-rewards-for-rogers/article26640038/

"In early September, telecom analyst Greg MacDonald used the Forbes numbers to prepare a rough estimate of the gain the Blue Jays could enjoy because of the increased excitement around the team and its playoff run. He estimated the club could see an additional $20-million at the gate and a boost of about $40-million from higher merchandise sales and ad revenue. Higher costs, including player salaries, could increase expenses by about $20-million, he said."

In 2014 they operated at a loss of 18M though, so it's not all roses.

Thanks, is there any chance you know what the playoff gate was?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

TIL Tulo and Donaldson are only one dimensional power hitters that are apparently comparing to Encarnacion's inability to do anything but hit.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
The Royals stopped them in the playoffs right?Bottom line the stats show it .The Royals FOUND the recipe to slow the Jays bats down...
Jays hit 240 vs Royals...what happened?

Hutchinson was an anomaly as i said..You will never see that again in your life (8 runs of support/5.67 era and 13 wins)
No he won't be with the Jays this year in the starting rotation coming out of spring training ...

Bye bye Eddie and Jose in next 300 days....the window for Toronto is very SMALL....

You know what man, you're right...they have no chance this year due to all those wins flying out the window, you should just give up on them and keep watching hockey.

LaCarriere

I'd be content to qualify them. They aren't going to accept a 1 year deal at ~16M, so if a deal doesn't get done and they sign elsewhere they get two comp. picks.

In the small chance of them accepting a QO, they get them back at a good price on a 1 year deal - can't really complain about that.

I don't really want them back on a deal that's going to take them to 38+ years old. Too much risk involved I think.

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton

As good as they (Ed /Joe)been as Jays,they still couldn't get us to post season alone.
Does anyone believe the Jays can get back the home run production of Joey and Eddie in a trade? I can't see it .

Except for JD being better than Jose and Tulo better than EE. Don't let that hurt your argument though.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I am unable to comprehend the above post. Nem, any help here? You're also a Sharks fan so maybe you can shed a little light on this :sarcasm:

:dunno:

You've got me. The arguments are so densely indecipherable that I'm left to conclude that Habaneros thinks in a manner that defies the normal space/time laws of the universe.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

I read this tweet as "The Blue Jays want to acquire Andy Burns", I mean he's the perfect fit, cheap, decent bat in Buffalo, decent defense, can pretty much play anywhere except pitcher and catcher, options so you can leave him down in Buffalo unless you need him.

Except they left him rule 5 eligible and I think someone like the Phillies will take him.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
:dunno:

You've got me. The arguments are so densely indecipherable that I'm left to conclude that Habaneros thinks in a manner that defies the normal space/time laws of the universe.

Well, ****. Anyone out there that would be able to help us troubled Sharks fans translate the verbal diarrhea that is being spewed all over this thread?

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS

I read this tweet as "The Blue Jays want to acquire Andy Burns", I mean he's the perfect fit, cheap, decent bat in Buffalo, decent defense, can pretty much play anywhere except pitcher and catcher, options so you can leave him down in Buffalo unless you need him.

Except they left him rule 5 eligible and I think someone like the Phillies will take him.

Play a little bit of shortstop, eh? I think I might know a guy...

Who wouldn't want him to take away all of Baltimore's hits?

:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad