Blue Jays Discussion: Winter Meetings: Because there's no more fitting time to talk baseball than December

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Well i wouldn't bet against it ....

Casey Janssen made 3.5 million last year,will make less this year.
He didn't really want to leave Toronto...

Fourth on the Toronto all time saves list.....hmmmm

Some where in the front office,i bet this is a plan B ....

Casey Janssen back at 2 million a year?

Happ is back...

You are making the worst posts I have ever seen in this thread, and that's saying something.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Well i wouldn't bet against it ....

Casey Janssen made 3.5 million last year,will make less this year.
He didn't really want to leave Toronto...

Fourth on the Toronto all time saves list.....hmmmm

Some where in the front office,i bet this is a plan B ....

Casey Janssen back at 2 million a year?

Happ is back...

Do you think they want Romero back, too? And Brandon League? And Jason Frasor?

They brought back Happ because he had success last year, not because he used to be a Blue Jay.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
You are making the worst posts I have ever seen in this thread, and that's saying something.

Did you think they would have brought Happ back?

This is the same club who brought back Cito Gaston and Gibbons
They brought Jessie Chavez back...Jay Happ back...Liam Hendriks
Why is Casey Janssen coming back a far fetched thing?

It smells like a Jays move..

Last edited:

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
You think it's stupid in here?

A caller on Prime Time just compared David Price to Wayne Gretzky...

:shakehead why does everything have to compare to hockey players. Can they not compare price to an ex great pitcher. I really really hate cross sport comparison. Like when people were comparing lowry to Gilmour.

I can think of 200 + reasons price wasn't signed by toronto, the fact is he didn't give the jays the kind of post season pitching a legit ace should give. Estrada and stroman were the go to guys in the post season, you don't pay a guy 200 million + to not be your go to guy when you need him most.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Terms it however you like, but he is a 10/5 player and can block any trade.

The approach would be that Jays management could sit down and talk a new contract - if it doesn't fit with the team's plans they could tell EE and his agent that they could deal him to a team that would sign that contract.

EE with an extension could get something good back in a trade.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
:shakehead why does everything have to compare to hockey players. Can they not compare price to an ex great pitcher. I really really hate cross sport comparison. Like when people were comparing lowry to Gilmour.

I can think of 200 + reasons price wasn't signed by toronto, the fact is he didn't give the jays the kind of post season pitching a legit ace should give. Estrada and stroman were the go to guys in the post season, you don't pay a guy 200 million + to not be your go to guy when you need him most.

So the Dodgers shouldn't be paying Kershaw that type of money?

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
The only question is does Jose Bautista want to be a DH after this season. I highly doubt it and im not sure I would pay big money for him to play RF. I would take my chances on EE and let him full time DH, ala Ortiz.

No contest if his back holds out. I think he's the better hitter now. If he's able to stay in the line-up.

I think Bautista is more athletic, more versatile in the field, and despite being older might age better than EE.

Eddie carries a bit more weight around the middle, which can't help his back, and I'm doubtful that will ever improve. Bautista is a little skinnier and seems more fit despite his age.

Bautista wants a big contract and a lot of respect. Give him that and I'd be very surprised if he wouldn't DH and let the younger players chase the fly balls.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
The approach would be that Jays management could sit down and talk a new contract - if it doesn't fit with the team's plans they could tell EE and his agent that they could deal him to a team that would sign that contract.

The problem is the best match is probably Boston because Ortiz is going to retire but the Sox don't have a spot for Encarnacion right now. So it would be in Edwin's best interest not to accept a trade if he believes in a year he can be in Boston.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Terms it however you like, but he is a 10/5 player and can block any trade.

:nod::nod:

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Did you think they would have brought Happ back?

This is the same club who brought back Cito Gaston and Gibbons
They brought Jessie Chavez back...Jay Happ back...Liam Hendriks
Why is Casey Janssen coming back a far fetched thing?

It smells like a Jays move..

Because Casey Janssen hasn't been a quality MLB pitcher in nearly a near and a half. I'd love him back on a MLC but anything more than that is just plain stupid.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Man, it sure seems like teams are going overboard in trying to out-bullpen each other. The Kimbrel trade, the Soria, Madson and Lowe contracts... yikes.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Because Casey Janssen hasn't been a quality MLB pitcher in nearly a near and a half. I'd love him back on a MLC but anything more than that is just plain stupid.

Explain how a 7 win 15 loss Chavez returned to the Jays?

Trust me , Janssen coming back on a cheap 1 year deal,isn't crazy from this management.
No more(plain stupid) than a nine game hot streak against NL batters made Happ into something really desirable for the Jays.
Like how R.A Dickey was really good (CY Young)against NL batters...eh?

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS

Trust me , Janssen coming back on a cheap 1 year deal,isn't a ******** idea .No more(plain stupid) than a nine game hot streak against NL batters made Happ into something really desirable for the Jays.
May I ask why you're using a pitchers win-loss record to determine how successful they were?

tml19

Nov 30, 2013
Mississauga, Ontario

Trust me , Janssen coming back on a cheap 1 year deal,isn't crazy from this management.
No more(plain stupid) than a nine game hot streak against NL batters made Happ into something really desirable for the Jays.
Like how R.A Dickey was really good (CY Young)against NL batters...eh?

Sigh........

a) He throws a baseball left handed
b) Signing him does not require a compensation pick to be given up. Something we can't afford to do as we need to start to replenish our farm
c) If he regresses as EXPECTED he is still at market value. If he doesn't we have a fantastic contract to work around

Also what is wrong with having Janssen come back on a cheap 1 year deal? There is no risk there. :cry:

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Hey, guys, I just came home. Just entering this thread to hopefully read some thoughtful, intellectual discussion on here on the last few pag --

ba0e84897c10e92c94bdc079207d1caa.gif

LaCarriere

May I ask why you're using a pitchers win-loss record to determine how successful they were?

no idea, he has no idea what he's talking about.

Jays scored 197 more runs last year than the A's, that's more than 1 run a game better. Chavez's record with the A's is completely irrelevant. He's going to get run support as a Jay.

If Hutch can put up 13 wins with a 5.57 ERA that it's certainly possible for Chavez to equal that or do better with a FIP/ERA in the high 3s / low 4s.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
You think it's stupid in here?

A caller on Prime Time just compared David Price to Wayne Gretzky...

that sounds pretty stupid.

While we're on the topic of stupid Bob just replied to a guy talking about the pen using Cecil as an example as a guy who came out of nowhere this past year.

I mean Osuna sure(and he used Osuna as well) but Cecil was supposed to be good.

Went something like "Pen guys come out of nowhere all the time, Sanchez was a starter, Osuna wasn't expecting to compete for a spot and ended up the closer, and then there was that lefty, what's his name, I hate getting old, (someone I assume says Loup in his ear), no not Loup, we knew how good he was, (someone I assume says Cecil in his ear), Cecil, yeah him, look how bad he was, couldn't hit the strike zone at all, and then he pitches as well as he did, something something failed starter"

Yeah that 2.34 Cecil FIP in 2014 was so much worse than that... 2.34 Cecil 2015 FIP. Failed starter? are you stuck back in 2012 Bob? Cecil has been a reliver for a while now and was pretty much expected to be really good this year.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

we lost a 13 win Hutch as if he's going somewhere because he didn't like what happened last year, and now will only get 7 wins from Chavez because that's all he had last year. That 6 fewer wins we're going to have this year. I'm not sure how you can't follow this very sound logic :sarcasm:

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
we lost a 13 win Hutch as if he's going somewhere because he didn't like what happened last year, and now will only get 7 wins from Chavez because that's all he had last year. That 6 fewer wins we're going to have this year. I'm not sure how you can't follow this very sound logic :sarcasm:

:biglaugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad