OT - NO POLITICS Winter is coming.........

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
Knowledge yes, but doesn't affect any politics at all.

I do love geography and flags and maps and whatnot, and without sports I may still know about Montreal and Toronto, but it's unlikely that I'd care where Winnipeg or Edmonton were if not for my interest in the NHL.
Geography, I love. I've always found it interesting to visit places when I can if I am gone traveling for work. Might as well take advantage of being at a certain location at said date/time, if you have it to spend.
Yosemite sounds like a lame favorite of mine but I had an incredible time with awesome coworkers when we went on a little road trip after finishing early on our Friday there.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Geography, I love. I've always found it interesting to visit places when I can if I am gone traveling for work. Might as well take advantage of being at a certain location at said date/time, if you have it to spend.
Yosemite sounds like a lame favorite of mine but I had an incredible time with awesome coworkers when we went on a little road trip after finishing early on our Friday there.
Same here. I’ve done real estate and construction for a major coffee chain for 18 years now, including a year as VP Store Development in Canada. Been to 10 provinces and 48 of the 50 states (still need Idaho & Vermont). Also have lived in 6 states total. Also spent time in Europe, Australia, Middle East and the Far East during my Navy years. Wouldn’t change it for the world. Seeing different parts of the country/world, living there, and meeting people in various regions makes you a better human being IMHO.

Last edited:

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
Same here. I’ve done real estate and construction for a major coffee chain for 18 years now, including a year as VP Store Development in Canada. Been to 8 provinces and 48 of the 50 states (still need Idaho & Vermont). Also have lived in 6 states total. Also spent time in Europe, Australia, Middle East and the Far East during my Navy years. Wouldn’t change it for the world. Seeing different parts of the country/world, living there, and meeting people in various regions makes you a better human being IMHO.
You ever have the interesting experience of running into the same group of guys at the airport, like 5am on random Mondays

Meaning from another company but apparently their travel schedules coincided with yours lol

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
You ever have the interesting experience of running into the same group of guys at the airport, like 5am on random Mondays

Meaning from another company but apparently their travel schedules coincided with yours lol
LOL. Yes. I’ve also run into guys I used to fly with in the Navy, who were piloting the commercial flight I was on.

Once was working at the office on New Years Eve day. It was empty and no distractions. Was coming back from lunch when a guy got off the elevator. We both stopped and stared at each other for 5 seconds. It was my old roommate from Flight School. We hadn’t seen each other or spoken in 10-15 years. Turns out he worked in the same building that I did….

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I wish I got to travel for work, but there's never any justifiable reason to in my current role. And any conferences/seminars/etc. that would've allowed people to at least travel for them in past years have all transitioned to web-based so there's no excuse to get to travel and stay in a hotel for a week on the company's dime anymore.

I wouldn't want to travel all the time but like once a quarter or so would be nice.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
LOL. Yes. I’ve also run into guys I used to fly with in the Navy, who were piloting the commercial flight I was on.

Once was working at the office on New Years Eve day. It was empty and no distractions. Was coming back from lunch when a guy got off the elevator. We both stopped and stared at each other for 5 seconds. It was my old roommate from Flight School. We hadn’t seen each other or spoken in 10-15 years. Turns out he worked in the same building that I did….

Around 1998 I moved back home after 7 years and was out shopping. I ran into a guy I worked with at Stop & Shop back in the early 80's. He was an older guy but hadn't changed much in the 18 years since I saw him last.

But here's the thing, I was picking up groceries at, you guessed it, Stop & Shop. We both said the same thing - "Imagine meeting you here."

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY

I used to find it funny here in NH.. I'd end up behind the same group of guys going thru security outta Manchester (KMHT)
So after a few times I chimed in while waiting in line and talked to them in the meantime. They were always on the same flight to BWI as I was since a lot of my layovers to Cali were in Baltimore.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Just ridiculous that they take something as important as an "emergency brake" and remove half of its function, to be able to slow down and then stop the vehicle in a controlled manner. I'm looking to upgrade my ride and that's one of the first things I look for. I'm a "senior" now and don't expect to be looking again unless the new car ends up totalled it'll be my last purchase although I usually don't keep a car for more than 2-3 years.
So, that purchase will have to fill 100% of expectations. Tall order but somewhat doable.
They claim it will slow the car down safely to a stop,and as soon as you hit the gas,it releases. Everyone should learn where theirs is and go to an empty parking lot and give it a couple of tries. Every now and then I ask my wife and kids where their E brake is,it's pertinent to know.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1667332224456.png

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Same here. I’ve done real estate and construction for a major coffee chain for 18 years now, including a year as VP Store Development in Canada. Been to 10 provinces and 48 of the 50 states (still need Idaho & Vermont). Also have lived in 6 states total. Also spent time in Europe, Australia, Middle East and the Far East during my Navy years. Wouldn’t change it for the world. Seeing different parts of the country/world, living there, and meeting people in various regions makes you a better human being IMHO.
So much truth in that statement. Living in a bunch of different places gives you an appreciation for where you are and what you've learned from where you've been. Growing up in AZ/CA, college in Philly, then FL, TX, ME and back to CA in the Navy, Mass for 17 years, plus Europe and the Caribbean on deployments gives you lots of opportunity to see and experience a lot of different things. I also have 48 - but I need Oregon and N Dakota.

Reactions: BMC and CHRDANHUTCH

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Geography is great.

but no politics please. It never ends well.
No doubt. My fault.

Wally, was thinking of you the other day when guys were whining about the shortage of truckers. Ya, I kinda know someone who's been ringing that bell for a decade.

Lighter note. Hummingbird landed on my shoulder today while I was reading. Hadn't happened in a few years. They used to land on my book. Tough to fight the urge to look at it so close but knowing if you turn your ear - it's gone.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

I was always on the lookout for guys I flew with, but never ran across any. And pre-pandemic, I was flying about three weeks a month. I did have that odd "what are you doing here" moment coming back from Madison, WI through O'Hare - Walking to my gate on my layover, I heard someone calling out my name. It was a guy I knew from youth hockey back in MA. We ended up coaching the same team together a couple of years later. I also ran into my old director of the Naval Aviation Choir from when I was in flight school, out in CA, where he had become a TAR. Always a reminder of just how small the world is.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
USA won their 6th straight Team Gold at the World Championships and have qualified a full team at the 2024 Paris Olympics.

Team Canada came in 3rd and also qualified a full team to Paris. Truly historic for them. Great Britain came in second

Reactions: BMC

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
No doubt. My fault.

Wally, was thinking of you the other day when guys were whining about the shortage of truckers. Ya, I kinda know someone who's been ringing that bell for a decade.

Lighter note. Hummingbird landed on my shoulder today while I was reading. Hadn't happened in a few years. They used to land on my book. Tough to fight the urge to look at it so close but knowing if you turn your ear - it's gone.

its a shortage, drivers, that worsens every year. Out of sight out of mind. But a huge factor in worldwide supply chain issues. They are the last leg. Be it from factory or import. The decline began with the aged out and passing of a lot of Vietnam era vets.
My daughter’s significant other does real well driving Federal Express 53 footers. They live in Indianapolis. He does the same thing every night. Indianapolis airport to Chicago’s O ‘ Hare and back again. Tough working nights but he’s adjusted to it over the years.
From what I understand, because of demand, they take good care of him.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Just ridiculous that they take something as important as an "emergency brake" and remove half of its function, to be able to slow down and then stop the vehicle in a controlled manner. I'm looking to upgrade my ride and that's one of the first things I look for. I'm a "senior" now and don't expect to be looking again unless the new car ends up totalled it'll be my last purchase although I usually don't keep a car for more than 2-3 years.
So, that purchase will have to fill 100% of expectations. Tall order but somewhat doable.
The 'emergency make the car smell funny' button.

Thanks Mitch Hedberg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad