OT - NO POLITICS Winter is coming.........

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Elon is a visionary and is making the world a better place, though as a TSLA stockholder I get concerned about how he gets tunnel vision with his pet projects and personal vendettas (which is what the whole twitter acquisition is about) and that he's not as focused on innovations at Tesla. But despite being a troll in the way he comes across, all his projects are ultimately benevolent.
I am always careful about powerful man and them making the world better! Alot have said so in the past.....

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
So many classics.....I hate it when they change the song.....I don't want your interpretation....sing it the way it was written. Silent Night is not a jazz song.

Favorite CDS are the Time Life Treasury of Christmas CDs.
Also Carpenters, Ray Conniff, Mitch Miller, Burl Ives

A very good cd is A Christmas Sing Along by New England Childrens Chorus and Orchestra. Sung by very talented kids. Available on EBay. One of our favorites
I always say this but of all of the Christmas song videos I like, Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy with Bing Crosby and David Bowie

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
I always say this but of all of the Christmas song videos I like, Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy with Bing Crosby and David Bowie

I'm not a fan of that one....too much change from the original for me....I like them traditional....

Now for the worst Christmas song ever....War is Over John Lennon....I can't tell if it's a protest song or a Christmas song but that is the one i turn the station as soon as it comes on.....

Best Christmas song.... O Holy Night

Reactions: BMC and Gordoff

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
@Aussie Bruin Nation stopped yet?

1667274261640.png

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

We watched it at work in the conference room, so yes I think so! Weak field this year, but it was a decent race and the winner proved his class. The organisers will probably want to do some work though to rebuild the international standing and attraction of the race after a couple of pandemic-disrupted years.

Reactions: Fenway

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
We watched it at work in the conference room, so yes I think so! Weak field this year, but it was a decent race and the winner proved his class. The organisers will probably want to do some work though to rebuild the international standing and attraction of the race after a couple of pandemic-disrupted years.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I picked up these two albums at a yard sale a couple weeks ago. Adding to our old family Christmas album collection that I listen to every year, which of course includes the classic Bing Christmas album. I know where every scratch is on those records and I wouldn't have it any other way. We'd always have them playing while decorating the tree, untangling the outdoor lights, and making cookies. Part of my favorite memories of Christmas.

20221008_211840.jpg

Reactions: BMC and caz16

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I do enjoy the Christmas season - I'm still a kid at heart and watch lots of Christmas specials. I have 3 VHS tapes that have all the old classic cartoons, etc., that I recorded in the early 90s. The commercials are as entertaining as the cartoons! The quality is getting iffy now though. I know you can get them converted but it is pretty expensive. I missed the window of buying a VHS to DVD machine and am too nervous to buy a used one.

There is a gem of a special called The Elf starring Mary Walsh and was shot in Newfoundland - it has disappeared and it isn't even mentioned in her IMDB. They should make a full length movie of it, the concept is amazing. I found it mentioned on the heritage site:

The Andrew Peeke Fan

Feb 26, 2020
I do enjoy the Christmas season - I'm still a kid at heart and watch lots of Christmas specials. I have 3 VHS tapes that have all the old classic cartoons, etc., that I recorded in the early 90s. The commercials are as entertaining as the cartoons! The quality is getting iffy now though. I know you can get them converted but it is pretty expensive. I missed the window of buying a VHS to DVD machine and am too nervous to buy a used one.

There is a gem of a special called The Elf starring Mary Walsh and was shot in Newfoundland - it has disappeared and it isn't even mentioned in her IMDB. They should make a full length movie of it, the concept is amazing. I found it mentioned on the heritage site:

It's amazing, but also disheartening and a little bit scary, to think about and consider how much physical media has deteriorated and been lost over the years. I have some Letterman and Carson tapes, some segments on which I can't find anywhere else.

Reactions: Gordoff and caz16

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I'm not a fan of that one....too much change from the original for me....I like them traditional....

Now for the worst Christmas song ever....War is Over John Lennon....I can't tell if it's a protest song or a Christmas song but that is the one i turn the station as soon as it comes on.....

Best Christmas song.... O Holy Night
I like the combination of the 2 songs. Also, a very old Bing and a very young David..

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I put my reindeer and a few other little winter figurines up last night. Nothing crazy and it will be perfect to keep up past Christmas so I can enjoy it.

Normally I’d wait until mid November to decorate but I wanted to enjoy my decor before my trip.

I did order the last 2 reindeer I needed to complete my collection so I’ll do a little tweaking when I pick them up.

• Love
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH and BMC

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Is the CEL on?

I had a 97 cadillac do the same thing. It overheated and put itself into limp home mode, in my case it maxed out about 45mph from what i recall. I doubt it’s anything transmission related. There’s probably a sensor that failed, so the computer is reading a catastrophic failure somewhere. Throttle position sensor or crankshaft sensor would be my guesses. I think they run about 50 bucks a piece.

Not sure how it’s done on a Jeep, but there should be a way to flash it and reset codes and also reset the limp mode bullshit. If that doesn’t do it i would check for codes and investigate the TPS and crank sensors
Nope CEL isn't on, no warning lights, etc.

I did the key turns for codes in the odometer too and nothing unusual. At a loss.

I'll start with sensors this weekend. I can't imagine they've been replaced...ever...on that vehicle. I've only had it for about 6 years and 20k miles

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
It won't allow skidding,works through the anti-lock braking system. Keep in mind,it's called a Parking brake,not an Emergency Brake,probably to avoid law suits.
Just ridiculous that they take something as important as an "emergency brake" and remove half of its function, to be able to slow down and then stop the vehicle in a controlled manner. I'm looking to upgrade my ride and that's one of the first things I look for. I'm a "senior" now and don't expect to be looking again unless the new car ends up totalled it'll be my last purchase although I usually don't keep a car for more than 2-3 years.
So, that purchase will have to fill 100% of expectations. Tall order but somewhat doable.

Last edited:
Reactions: BNHL

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
The irony of all ironies is that a mean, grumpy, spiteful, and stubborn guy like me absolutely loves Christmas music. As soon as one of the stations here start playing it, I put it on and never flip the channel. It drives my wife crazy but I love it.
Me too! It drives my wife batty. :xbg: I have (I think it's called) HD radio in my car and work vehicle. So stations like WMJX have an upper and lower station that usually is dedicated to one type or genre of music (similar to satellite radio, but free of monthly fees). There is one station (can't remember which) that plays only Christmas music all year round.

Last edited:
Reactions: LSCII and BMC

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Nope CEL isn't on, no warning lights, etc.

I did the key turns for codes in the odometer too and nothing unusual. At a loss.

I'll start with sensors this weekend. I can't imagine they've been replaced...ever...on that vehicle. I've only had it for about 6 years and 20k miles
I just googled a bit and someone on a jeep forum suggested cleaning or replacing the throttle body, and the idle air controller sensor. Those i think would be fairy easy to remove. Hell, it could be something as simple as a throttle linkage sticking and not pulling open all the way

Reactions: Gordoff

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Speaking of cars...

Looking for advice from some of you mechanically inclined people.

I have a 98 Jeep TJ that has extremely low mileage on it given it's age (93k)

It has its issues like all Jeeps do, but recently it feels like it's RPM limited/capped. It won't go over 3K RPM in D (yes sadly an automatic) even if I slam the pedal to the floor. If it's in L it will go as high as needed, same for 2. Makes driving anything over back roads impossible since getting it over 50 is basically impossible.

Any ideas? Love the rise, want to keep it forever as a beach cruiser, etc, but it's really not worth dumping a lot of money into it if it's a transmission issue or something.
Get rid of it. Jeeps are junk.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
So many classics.....I hate it when they change the song.....I don't want your interpretation....sing it the way it was written. Silent Night is not a jazz song.

A very good cd is A Christmas Sing Along by New England Childrens Chorus and Orchestra. Sung by very talented kids. Available on EBay. One of our favorites
I'm going to look for that album. When was it recorded?

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

I got my mom Arthur Fiedler & the Boston Pops' Christmas CD. It has all of the classics- Sleigh Ride, Carol of the Bells etc. with the original Leroy Anderson arrangements.

We would play it while I helped her put up her tree, decorate the house and bake toll house cookies. Christmas was "her" holiday and she always went all out for it. :rudolf::gift:

Reactions: shelbysdad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad