OT - NO POLITICS Winter is coming.........

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
As much as I hate California weather and prefer the cold to the hot, at least I'm in a fairly good situation with heating/cooling costs. Our house has solar and the A/C is on electric so we ran A/C for a lot of August/September and the bill still came out with a credit. The heating is on gas but it doesn't get cold enough to have to use it very often. I'd rather just wear wool socks and get a fuzzy blanket than run the heat.

I was in the Cleveland area for a year (ugh), and then Denver for two. I hated both.

I am incredibly lucky and exceptionally blessed to be back home. You couldn't pay me to live anywhere else than New England in general, and Massachusetts in particular.

What is it out there, sunny & 72, right?

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Musk has done a super job with SpaceX. They've reduced the cost of launching satellites & humans into space considerably which means more of both can be launched. 🚀👨‍🚀👩‍🚀

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I was in the Cleveland area for a year (ugh), and then Denver for two. I hated both.

I am incredibly lucky and exceptionally blessed to be back home. You couldn't pay me to live anywhere else than New England in general, and Massachusetts in particular.

What is it out there, sunny & 72, right?
currently 68 but will get to 78 today.

Yesterday I was driving around running errands and the sun was scorching me. My car AC is on the fritz so it was no help, then I'm in a situation where if I keep the windows up it gets hot inside the car but if I roll the windows down I get full force sunlight burning a hole into my face and arm. Horrible feeling, I yelled to myself several times yesterday that I hate this state.

What's a major difference is that at least in New England you have tree coverage or multi-story buildings to provide shade. Southern California everything is flat and there's no forestation to speak of (just decorative palm trees here and there) so the sun is always right on top of you.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
This has been going on since mid May at least that is when the Facebook group was created.

The cops and hospitals won't do anything unless a visible crime was committed which is beyond frustrating. Hoping these stories get their attention as well as serve as a reminder to everyone to be aware of their surroundings ect. Scary shit.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I have a very steep driveway and always had a 2WD, stick shift, FW Drive with snow tires and never get stuck on the driveway (as long as I keep the ice under control).

I will probably be getting my first automatic next. Not many make a stick anymore

I learned on a stick but haven't driven a car in literally 35 years, which is fine with me.

Living in Boston proper, its neighborhoods and surrounding towns since '82, I've never needed one. I just renewed my driver's license, though.

I still get carded. 🚗

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I woke up at 3:30 with a sore and scratchy throat. I was supposed to go tomorrow to talk to the surgeon about my hips. Instead, I cancelled the appointment and went and got a COVID test. I will hear back in a couple of days.

Swell

Sorry to hear this. As you know, scheduling medical appointments of any kind these days is something of a production.

What is your vax status? Have you had the booster(s)? Flu shot?

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
As much as I hate California weather and prefer the cold to the hot, at least I'm in a fairly good situation with heating/cooling costs. Our house has solar and the A/C is on electric so we ran A/C for a lot of August/September and the bill still came out with a credit. The heating is on gas but it doesn't get cold enough to have to use it very often. I'd rather just wear wool socks and get a fuzzy blanket than run the heat.
We absolutely love our solar. Best decision we made--its ridiculously economical for 4,000 sq ft. We rarely pay an electric bill.
We have turned the heat on twice in four years. Every room has a soft blanket just in case :)

Reactions: BMC and sarge88

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Has anyone followed The Delphi Murder case?

Two young teens in Delphi Indiana were murdered 4-5 years ago. They’re was a documentary series about it on HLN last year, I think.

Anyway, they‘ve apparently arrested someone.

I hope he gets what he deserves.

I hope this creep gets what *he* deserves.

I'm assuming it's the same guy who was wearing a freaky mask during these nocturnal visits.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I am no millionaire (at the opposite end), but I typically buy new and keep about 10 years. My Accord is on its 13th year. My next car may be my last, so I want to choose the right one.

I used to finance for 5 years and have 5 years of no car payments. I am living on a lot less money now that I am retired so I would rather not have a car payment. I have some $$$ set aside for a new car but not enough.

I went to a Halloween party last night. I saw some folks that I had not seen since I retired (a year and a half ago). The house was built in 1806 and was very nice. The guy having the party really gets into Halloween. He is a great guy. It was really nice to see everyone. I don't miss the job stress but do miss some of the people.

I went to the party as myself.:witch:
"My other car is a broom."

I’m the opposite….definitely not rich but I get sick of a car in 3-4 years.

I’ve probably had 9 different cars in the last 20 years.

LOL

Definitely not good money-wise but it helps keep me sane.
Lol
You should meet my brother. He changes cars like he changes socks.

• Haha
Reactions: sarge88

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I hope this creep gets what *he* deserves.

I'm assuming it's the same guy who was wearing a freaky mask during these nocturnal visits.

The Delphi case is Delphi Indiana. Two young teens were murdered about 5 years ago. They just arrested the guy they think did it.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Ummm....my first car was a $200 1972 Ford Pinto......foll0wed by a $1500 1976 Chevy Vega

There I said it....it's so hard but....so worth it....My name is Brian and I owned a Pinto and a Vega....
They have meetings for people like you.

My first car (early 1970s ) was a Plymouth Cricket....Horrible car

I have never bought a car in my life.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

Yesterday I was driving around running errands and the sun was scorching me. My car AC is on the fritz so it was no help, then I'm in a situation where if I keep the windows up it gets hot inside the car but if I roll the windows down I get full force sunlight burning a hole into my face and arm. Horrible feeling, I yelled to myself several times yesterday that I hate this state.

What's a major difference is that at least in New England you have tree coverage or multi-story buildings to provide shade. Southern California everything is flat and there's no forestation to speak of (just decorative palm trees here and there) so the sun is always right on top of you.

I know the feeling.

In Ohio, it was perpetually dark and rainy. It's apparently true that the state gets less sunlight than others.

Denver?

Denver has no fall to speak of. They don't plow when it snows because a] they're cheap and b] it's usually gone within a day or two.

People wear shorts in January. The air is elevated, thin, and dry. Some new comers -- and the place is full of them, as everyone seems to be from somewhere else -- get nose bleeds. My skin was a mess.

Summer: You had better have a bottle of water handy at all times.

As a co-worker noted, "It's like living on the surface of sun." No truer words.

Like I said, I hated Denver. The weather was certainly high on my list.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Sorry to hear this. As you know, scheduling medical appointments of any kind these days is something of a production.

What is your vax status? Have you had the booster(s)? Flu shot?
2 COVID shots, 2 Boosters...No flu shot

"My other car is a broom."

You should meet my brother. He changes cars like he changes socks.
I have a broom in the back seat in case...:witch::wbrew:

They have meetings for people like you.

I have never bought a car in my life.
How do you get around?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
This has been going on since mid May at least that is when the Facebook group was created.

The cops and hospitals won't do anything unless a visible crime was committed which is beyond frustrating. Hoping these stories get their attention as well as serve as a reminder to everyone to be aware of their surroundings ect. Scary shit.

This happens repeatedly here, as new college students arrive.

I read that many of these incidents have taken place at a specific bar or entertainment venue. If true, which one?

I know the feeling. I hope there are other things in CA that appeal. Like Napa and Sonoma, or SF.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I had to give up my 2003 Toyota Tundra last year after 18 years of driving it; the engine, interior, etc. was all in very good shape, but there was rust in the frame that was making it unsafe to drive for too much longer. My mechanic said I might get a year or two more out of it which was fine by me, but when my wife asked if I would let our kids drive it I knew it was time to get a new truck. Broke me heart, but she was right about me not wanting to let the kids (teenagers) drive it.

There had been a recall on frame rust for the early to mid 2000's Tundras, but they put an under coating on it twice which was enough to "resolve" the problem and while I can't complain about not getting enough time out of an 18 year old truck, I still do miss her...the Stepside model was only made for 2 years
same happened to me with my 2003 tacoma. Had alot of miles on it, never any issues aside from rust. but the key was no payments.

Reactions: HHHH

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
2 COVID shots, 2 Boosters...No flu shot

I have a broom in the back seat in case...:witch::wbrew:

How do you get around?

1] I have to get my second booster. Then, I guess, another one after that.

Is there a reason why you haven't had a flu shot? It is of course up to you but the flu is expected to be virulent this year.

2] I take the T and walk everywhere. I'll take the commuter rail to visit a friend. I've never needed or wanted a car here, and I've lived all over the place. Not a driving enthusiast & pleased not to suffer the pain in the backside owning and operating a motor vehicle in Massachusetts can inflict, never mind Boston itself.

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
She likes to make noise running around with some of her toys. Does that count? 😁

It does indeed.

1667248256923.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad