Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets Prospects 2017-18

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Remember the concerns about character issues with Laine?

I don't recall Chevy ever mentioning they had any concerns

Not Chevy, but others. I think they do their due diligence.

You mean people who post here or other GM's?

Pundits... Media talking heads, mostly. He had a bit of an issue with a coach on a junior team, as I recall.

Oh yes I'm aware of those stories, I just don't recall anyone being concerned about him at the draft

He threatened to kill a coach in his draft -1 season I believe. It was actually a major red flag against him by a few teams but he came out and addressed the issue head on and said he needed to make an attitude change. Something a lot of players don't do. But aside from that one issue with that one coach he never had any other issue with players, teams or thinking he was above the team which is really what gets you flagged. Euro's don't seem to get flagged as much as NA prospects. I attribute to NA hockey culture. A lot of these kids come from wealthy families who pump a lot of money into their kids and are vocal about playing time and when these kids have some skill and get their tires pumped by everyone around them sometimes they develop a sense of entitlement. There is a fine like between confidence and cockiness as well and sometimes it can get to their heads I think.

Not really a fan of putting much stock on slight attitude issues when drafting, as long as the work ethic is there. Most people tend to grow out of those problems.

Agreed. I think work ethic is key, because most prospects need to improve substantially.

A lot of the time those red flags can lead to a lack of work ethic which is why some teams stay away. I mean DeAngelo was a hell of a junior defencemen. Put up 71 points in 51 games in his draft year and 89 points in 55 games in his D+2. Those are the kinds of numbers that make GM's, Coaches and Scouts salivate. But he was flagged with thinking he was above the team and often wasn't getting along with coaches and teammates because of it. He fell in the draft and now he is looking like a long shot to be a full time NHLer even. Slight attitude issues are fine. Barzal was flagged with some slight attitude issues and seems to be progressing along nicely, sometimes they can grow out of it even. It's when you have major attitude issues that it can sometimes lead to trouble. Kane was flagged as being a shitty dude as far back to his days playing in North Shore and with the Giants. It's that fine line between confidence and cockiness that can get you in trouble.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
DeAngelo has more issues than just being cocky.
He’s had team and league imposed suspensions for choice words many times.

Yeah I'm not sure why people are trying to equate him with 15or 16?yr old Laine. I never heard any concerns about Laine's attitude from the talking heads on draft day.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Yea DeAngelo's name should not be mentioned in the same conversation as Laine. Laine had one moment at 15 where he lost his temper at the coach over something hockey related. But DeAngelo is a legit piece of shit human being with a track record of offensive comments that have nothing to do with hockey

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yea DeAngelo's name should not be mentioned in the same conversation as Laine. Laine had one moment at 15 where he lost his temper at the coach over something hockey related. But DeAngelo is a legit piece of **** human being with a track record of offensive comments that have nothing to do with hockey
Wondered why Chayka gave up a #37 overall for him, to be honest. Could have drafted DeBrincat, Girard or Clague instead. At least he was able to package him in the Stepan deal.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He's also washed out, but he at least did something post draft.
I never thought he was doing much. Every development camp I hoped to see more, but usually it was just seeing another few forwards surpassing him.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
:( He's the biggest enigma in the Jets prospect pool after Lodge
I would not refer to Lodge and Glover as enigmas. I was always of the opinion that one would refer to a a talented player, who either underperforms, or beats to his own drummer an enigma. Just call them what they really are: busts.

I would think Evander Kane and Dustin Byfuglien would be a better examples of enigmas.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
He threatened to kill a coach in his draft -1 season I believe. It was actually a major red flag against him by a few teams but he came out and addressed the issue head on and said he needed to make an attitude change.

Laine never threatened to kill a coach. You make it sound as if Laine went face to face with the coach, and threatened his life. What actually happened was Laine said something to the extent of "I should kill our coach for not letting me play that shift!" to a teammate. Obviously he was just blowing off steam, but it somehow was relayed to the coach. Besides, he was 16 and competitive. I would call that blowing off steam, more than anything.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
AHL - Manitoba Moose

Roslovic, Jack - 15 GP, 8 G, 9 A, 17 P, 4 PIMs
Appleton, Mason - 15 GP, 2 G, 8 A, 10 P, 12 PIMs.
Niku, Sami - 15 GP, 1 G, 7 A, 8 P, 0 PIMs.
Lipon, JC - 15 GP, 3 G, 4 A, 7 P, 16 PIMs.
Petan, Nic - 8 GP, 1 G, 5 A, 6 P, 2 PIMs.
Lemieux, Brendan - 4 GP, 3 G, 2 A, 5 P, 9 PIMs.
De Leo, Chase - 12 GP, 1 G, 4 A, 5 P, 4 PIMs.
Spacek, Michael - 8 GP, 0 G, 3 A, 3 P, 2 PIMs.
Harkins, Jansen - 9 GP, 2 G, 1 A, 3 P, 5 PIMs.
Poolman, Tucker - 5 GP, 0 G, 0 A, 0 P, 2 PIMs.
Comrie, Eric - 10 GP, 5 W, 4 L, 1 OTL, 2.41 GAA, 0.923 SV%, 0 SOs.

Major Junior

Gawanke, Leon - (Cape Breton Screaming Eagles, QMJHL) - 21 GP, 1 G, 13 A, 14 P, 14 PIMs.
McKenzie, Skyler - (Portland Winter Hawks, WHL) - 18 GP, 15 G, 12 A, 27 P, 16 PIMs.
Stallard, Jordan - (Prince Albert Raiders, WHL) - 18 GP, 14 G, 17 A, 31 P, 12 PIMs.
Stanley, Logan - (Kitchener Rangers, OHL) - 17 GP, 4 G, 9 A, 13 P, 35 PIMs.
Virtanen, Santeri - (Dubuque Fighting Saints, USHL) - 7 GP, 2 G, 4 A, 6 P, 0 PIMs.
Berdin, Mikhail - (Sioux Falls Stampede, USHL) - 11 GP, 4 W, 3 L, 1 OTL, 2.27 GAA, 0.939 SV%, 0 SOs.

NCAA - College

Evingson, Croix - (UMass-Lowell) - 4 GP, 1 G, 1 A, 2 P, 4 PIMs.
Foley, Erik - (Providence College) - 8 GP, 4 G, 3 A, 7 P, 6 PIMs
Kovacevic, Jonathan - (Merrimack College) - 10 GP, 1 G, 8 A, 9 P, 4 PIMs.
Samberg, Dylan - (Minnesota-Duluth) - 12 GP, 0 G, 3 A, 3 P, 23 PIMs.

Europe

Cederholm, Jacob
- (HV71, SHL) - 6 GP, 0 G, 0 A, 0 P, 2 PIMs.
Kraskovsky, Pavel - (Yaroslavl, KHL) - 30 GP, 2 G, 3 A, 5 P, 16 PIMs.
Vesalainen, Kristian - (HPK, Liiga) - 18 GP, 4 G, 7 A, 11 P, 0 PIMs.
Holm, Arvid - (Karlskrona HK, SHL) - 15 GP, ? W, ? L, ? OTL, 0 SO, 3.48 GAA, 0.889 SV%

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
NCAA Hockey on TSN this weekend. The Jets prospects we get to see are... drum roll please... Glover and Ustaski.

Glover on Friday night and Ustaski on Saturday night.

Someone on Twitter told me Foley was playing but I think he was mistaken.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Also Cederholm has been loaned again, this time to Allsvenskan team IK Oskarshamn. Their D have been going down like crazy so I think this is just to fill in until those guys come back. IKO have been calling up from their U20 team a lot so I imagine this is to help put a stop to that.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Any jets prospects considered top 50 or top 100 not playing in NHL? Assuming roslovic may be the only one. Perhaps Vaselinen?

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Any jets prospects considered top 50 or top 100 not playing in NHL? Assuming roslovic may be the only one. Perhaps Vaselinen?
Depends who you ask. In August Pronman had Vesalainen 29th, Connor 34th, and Roslo 77th. Comrie was 15th in his goalie rankings

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yeah I'm not sure why people are trying to equate him with 15or 16?yr old Laine. I never heard any concerns about Laine's attitude from the talking heads on draft day.

Yea DeAngelo's name should not be mentioned in the same conversation as Laine. Laine had one moment at 15 where he lost his temper at the coach over something hockey related. But DeAngelo is a legit piece of **** human being with a track record of offensive comments that have nothing to do with hockey

Who was comparing what Laine did to what DeAngelo did? Don't think anyone was making that statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad