Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets Prospects 2017-18

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Well there was some character concerns with Vesalainen from what I heard, which surprised me that the Jets picked him. But considering where they were in the draft with that pick they might have put them aside. They weren't major either. Outside of that the Jets haven't really drafted or avoided anyone with any major marked concerns.
The Russian factor can play into things but I don't think any of the guys Tampa has gotten have ever been flagged with any concern outside of Deangelo who they traded for a 2nd after putting up some great numbers on their AHL team.

Popugayev was flagged heavily in last years draft and slipped to the 4th round and high tailed it back to Russia after 13 games with PG this year. Will be interesting to see what happens with Merkley this year. The raw talent is there but there are some major coach ability and team mate concerns with him.
I was surprised about Vesalainen too, but not disappointed. In fact, I was fully expecting that Calgary would have snagged him up at 16. Here's hoping that our scouts did their due diligence properly.

Merkley is definitely an interesting one. Character concerns are obviously real, but damn, is he one skilled bloke. A right-handed D of his type and caliber is almost a tailor-fitted piece for today's NHL. Honestly, I don't see many teams passing up on him, unless he decides to threaten the interviewers at the Combine or something.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I was surprised about Vesalainen too, but not disappointed. In fact, I was fully expecting that Calgary would have snagged him up at 16. Here's hoping that our scouts did their due diligence properly.

Merkley is definitely an interesting one. Character concerns are obviously real, but damn, is he one skilled bloke. A right-handed D of his type and caliber is almost a tailor-fitted piece for today's NHL. Honestly, I don't see many teams passing up on him, unless he decides to threaten the interviewers at the Combine or something.

There may be someone that falls in love with his skillset and overlooks his character issues. His lack of defensive play, coaching concerns and cocky attitude may be his down fall at the draft. If the draft were to start today I could maybe see Buffalo, Edmonton and Montreal potentially overlooking those concerns early. But this is also a defencemen heavy draft so it's not like he's the only good piece outside of Dahlin. Boqvist, Hughes, Smith, Woo, Bouchard, Addison, Wilde, A.Samuelsson and Dobson all look like great defenders so it won't do him any favours at the draft table that none of these guys have been flagged with any concerns. Even MsIsaac who is having a bad season so far could go higher.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I can't really blame them for ensuring that we won't bump into another Kane. Sometimes it comes with the price of skipping over a highly talented prospect, but after stepping on the mine that was Kane, I'm pretty sure I would be more cautious regarding these alleged character issues too. I'm OK with it, as long as the picks we make still amount to enough. That being said, high risk often equals high reward. Just watch Tampa dancing with the infamous Russian factor and making a killing with their picks. Ho-Sang is an excellent example of that as well.

Aside from Stanley and Kovacevic, are there other recent and kind-of-obvious cases of character being heavily in play with us picking a prospect?

Lots. Tkachuk for one, people were concerned that his "intangibles" were pushing him too high in the draft

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Lots. Tkachuk for one, people were concerned that his "intangibles" were pushing him too high in the draft

A lot of the concern for Tkachuk was related to him always playing with high end talent. Having played with Matthews and then Marner/Dvorak. A lot of the concern was whether he was more of a complimentary piece or whether he could become more than that.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
Can anyone tell me how Jack Glover is doing, beyond goals & assists? I know he has 0G & only 2A in 10 games. Does his lack of scoring stats virtually guarantee that he won't be getting a contract?

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Can anyone tell me how Jack Glover is doing, beyond goals & assists? I know he has 0G & only 2A in 10 games. Does his lack of scoring stats virtually guarantee that he won't be getting a contract?

Lack of scoring stats and poor play pretty much guarantees that. Went downhill ever since he started in the NCAA.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I don't think he'll get a chance no. He's not inspiring a lot of confidence and he's been passed over on U of Minns depth chart by a few younger dmen. In his D+4 and 4th year of NCAA play you'd definitely expect a lot more of him. I don't think he gets much of a chance to make the NHL. Could potentially be an AHL defender. Maybe the Moose sign him.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I actually thought Glover looked good at D camp this year... Stats arent everything... Could be a Brady Skjei situation there.

Skjei was actually above Glover on the U of Minn depth chart. Got a lot more minutes in all situations. Even then I wouldn't mark Skjei as a top 4 dman yet. Rangers were playing out of their minds last year. He's come back down to earth a bit this year.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Skjei was actually above Glover on the U of Minn depth chart. Got a lot more minutes in all situations. Even then I wouldn't mark Skjei as a top 4 dman yet. Rangers were playing out of their minds last year. He's come back down to earth a bit this year.

Hes still an NHL player tho.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Pretty much zero chance Glover gets an ELC out of college. He'll likely get a tryout invite for training camp from someone though.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Pundits... Media talking heads, mostly. He had a bit of an issue with a coach on a junior team, as I recall.

Oh yes I'm aware of those stories, I just don't recall anyone being concerned about him at the draft

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Well there was some character concerns with Vesalainen from what I heard, which surprised me that the Jets picked him. But considering where they were in the draft with that pick they might have put them aside. They weren't major either. Outside of that the Jets haven't really drafted or avoided anyone with any major marked concerns.
The Russian factor can play into things but I don't think any of the guys Tampa has gotten have ever been flagged with any concern outside of Deangelo who they traded for a 2nd after putting up some great numbers on their AHL team.

Popugayev was flagged heavily in last years draft and slipped to the 4th round and high tailed it back to Russia after 13 games with PG this year. Will be interesting to see what happens with Merkley this year. The raw talent is there but there are some major coach ability and team mate concerns with him.
Not really a fan of putting much stock on slight attitude issues when drafting, as long as the work ethic is there. Most people tend to grow out of those problems.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Not really a fan of putting much stock on slight attitude issues when drafting, as long as the work ethic is there. Most people tend to grow out of those problems.
Agreed. I think work ethic is key, because most prospects need to improve substantially.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Except for Trouba...
Trouba's issues with Winnipeg came later, and are complicated. I don't think he's necessarily a bad actor, but I think he has personal reasons for wanting to play in the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad