Rumor: Wings taking calls on Bertuzzi

MVPete96

Nov 12, 2011
Michigan
People sure are projecting a lot onto Bert. He’s very quiet when it comes to media, always looks like he’s enjoying himself and getting along very well with his teammates on the ice, and gives 100% every game. Not sure where all the negative perception comes from.

i think ppl are just pissed about his vax status and avs fans don’t like his last name

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Canada is south of the States? I’m confused what you’re trying to say here…

If you are being super technical you can drive SE to get to Windsor from Detroit. I believe Michigan is the only place in the US that you can travel East (Port Huron to Sarnia) or South East (Detroit to Windsor) to Canada.

upload_2022-2-24_18-56-57.png

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
If you are being super technical you can drive SE to get to Windsor from Detroit. I believe Michigan is the only place in the US that you can travel East (Port Huron to Sarnia) or South East (Detroit to Windsor) to Canada.

View attachment 510241
Cool. Have you ever heard anyone refer to this “The Great White North” Canada as “South” of the USA?

Geezer WC

Standing room
Jan 29, 2022
It's completely besides the point though, even if teams think this season Bertuzzi is real, he is still going to return less than Mantha. Players like Bertuzzi are available every year, the same can't be said about Mantha.

Don't be silly.

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
Id think if he is traded it would have to come in the off-season. I dont see how you could trade for him when he most likely cant play for you in half the games if u face a Canadian team in the playoffs. His market would be pretty small right now driving down the price. No Canadian teams or playoff teams bidding on him. Yzerman would be silly to move him now instead of waiting until the off season. Yzerman ain't silly.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Bertuzzi plus a 1st plus a prospect could or should land a pretty good young NHL center between 22-25 years of age

Who specifically I do not know.

But that would be the ONLY reason that moving Bertuzzi would make sense and would likely be an offseason move anyhow...

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
People sure are projecting a lot onto Bert. He’s very quiet when it comes to media, always looks like he’s enjoying himself and getting along very well with his teammates on the ice, and gives 100% every game. Not sure where all the negative perception comes from.

Agreed. There used to be some pretty eclectic stuff on his Instagram. I think he’s just a somewhat eccentric guy but not in such a way that he’s off putting. He’s teammates seem to love him and he’s willing to do anything on the ice to help his team win.

Reactions: ThankGord

MacWinnon

Jul 2, 2012
Mountains, Somewhere
As simple as not liking his personal choices, people are very weird and borderline psychotic when it comes to obsessing about what people want to do with themselves, it's disturbing. I would definitely take him on the Avs, regardless of his last name.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Agreed. There used to be some pretty eclectic stuff on his Instagram. I think he’s just a somewhat eccentric guy but not in such a way that he’s off putting. He’s teammates seem to love him and he’s willing to do anything on the ice to help his team win.

For sure. I want this guy on my team:

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022

View attachment 510241
Thank you for explaining it to him. Geography is fun.

It's pretty widely well known though. Everyone knows the Journey song Don't Stop Believin, and the lyrics "Born and raised in south Detroit". Ever since that song came out people pointed out there's no south Detroit, because Canada is directly south of Downtown Detroit.

Steve Perry answers the South Detroit question from Journey's 'Don't Stop Believin''

Reactions: Sparty

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
Anyone with a brain knows Bertuzzi >>>> Mantha in terms of EVERY aspect of what he brings to a team. Love bert, heart and soul guy, wins battles in the corner, always the first to celebrate with his team, great around the net and on the boards, PERFECT playoff guy.

Wings only move him for overpayment, 1st or blue chip young C prospect, then can replace him with Vrana or Berggren.

Reactions: RedHawkDown

IcedJuicebox

Feb 2, 2019
So anyone gonna propose an offer here? I wanna see what other teams fans would be willing to part with for him.

Biggest need is Top 6 c prospect, or young player. Could also use more Top 4 left d prospects.
Picks

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
So anyone gonna propose an offer here? I wanna see what other teams fans would be willing to part with for him.

Biggest need is Top 6 c prospect, or young player. Could also use more Top 4 left d prospects.
Picks
Seems the perfect fit for a team like Toronto but they don’t have the picks or prospects. I wouldn’t trade him for a bunch of B assets.

Would be a huge add for Colorado too, but Newhook would be coming back.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

Picks

No..

No picks
No prospects

If you move him Detroit adds so as to land a young, 21-24 year old, NHL center

What those adds are depends on the player they're landing

Reactions: roman star

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Bertuzzi is one of those players who you are content to have but open to trade if the right offer comes on the table. He brings good value to the roster, can go up and down the lineup.

If one look away from the vaccine thing. Personally I think the Red Wings should explore the options of trading him. He is 27 now and even though would be nice to have on a contending team in the future, I'm not sure he would provide the same value then in regards to what Detroit should use on him (needless to say he could provide it).

As for trade partners, I think the Los Angeles Kings or New York Rangers would make sense both in terms of their current roster builds, what they might be looking to add, the size and term of Bertuzzi's contract and what they can offer in a package to Detroit that would make sense.

The Rangers need to re-sign Strome, Kakko, Blais and add a backup goalie. Which I think they can maneuver their way into doing that even if adding Bertuzzi, and his contract is up after next season, along with several other players they have, so it gives them options to decide what they will do going forward.
In addition they have several cap buyouts ending at that time and their main guys are into a win now/very soon mode. They wanted to become a bit more grittier, they could use more scoring into the top 9, age wise and playing style a match with the roster build, Bertuzzi just fits the mix.

The Kings with some of their guys currently on IR can make Bertuzzi fit for this season cap wise. They have some cap coming off retained after this season and little bit after next season.
With Dustin Brown, Athanasiou, Kempe, Lemieux, Lizotte, Grundstrom, Maatta, Edler and others coming off the books in the offseason they have a lot of freedom to adjust however they like, and with Bertuzzi only on contract until next season, they don't lock themselves into any specifically difficult positions when it comes to re-signing players or upgrades.

For a team with a win now mode, even though not the absolute strongest on paper, adding Bertuzzi with his cap, term and playing style could be a good fit within their needs in the lineup. I could see them potentially making such move and add a depth Chara if it fits the books.

Return wise both have assets to come to an agreement. The Kings with a better fit of prospects they could offer in regards to Red Wings needs.

Last edited:

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
Bertuzzi is one of those players who you are content to have but open to trade if the right offer comes on the table. He brings good value to the roster, can go up and down the lineup.

If one look away from the vaccine thing. Personally I think the Red Wings should explore the options of trading him. He is 27 now and even though would be nice to have on a contending team in the future, I'm not sure he would provide the same value then in regards to what Detroit should use on him (needless to say he could provide it).

As for trade partners, I think the Los Angeles Kings or New York Rangers would make sense both in terms of their current roster builds, what they might be looking to add, the size and term of Bertuzzi's contract and what they can offer in a package to Detroit that would make sense.

The Rangers need to re-sign Strome, Kakko, Blais and add a backup goalie. Which I think they can maneuver their way into doing that even if adding Bertuzzi, and his contract is up after next season, along with several other players they have, so it gives them options to decide what they will do going forward.
In addition they have several cap buyouts ending at that time and their main guys are into a win now/very soon mode. They wanted to become a bit more grittier, they could use more scoring into the top 9, age wise and playing style a match with the roster build, Bertuzzi just fits the mix.

The Kings with some of their guys currently on IR can make Bertuzzi fit for this season cap wise. They have some cap coming off retained after this season and little bit after next season.
With Dustin Brown, Athanasiou, Kempe, Lemieux, Lizotte, Grundstrom, Maatta, Edler and others coming off the books in the offseason they have a lot of freedom to adjust however they like, and with Bertuzzi only on contract until next season, they don't lock themselves into any specifically difficult positions when it comes to re-signing players or upgrades.

For a team with a win now mode, even though not the absolute strongest on paper, adding Bertuzzi with his cap, term and playing style could be a good fit within their needs in the lineup. I could see them potentially making such move and add a depth Chara if it fits the books.

Return wise both have assets to come to an agreement. The Kings with a better fit of prospects they could offer in regards to Red Wings needs.
The Kings are not going to sacrifice Kempe at the expense of trading for Bertuzzi. They're most likely going to re-sign Lemieux and possibly Edler. It wouldn't surprise me if they re-signed Brown on a one-year deal. Basically, at the ask from Detroit (if what I've been reading here is even ballpark) would not be of interest to the Kings. Bertuzzi is a good player, but just not a big enough need for the Kings to make the trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad