Rumor: Wings taking calls on Bertuzzi

MVPete96

Nov 12, 2011
Michigan
Yah Wings have turned a corner with Raymond and Seider arriving they should be keeping Bertuzzi not looking to trade him.

Reasons to deal him are a) he already went to arbitration last contract and he is now scoring at a PPG so he’s going to want a big pay day and not sure stevie wants to give that to him b) had back surgery a couple seasons ago c) In theory he will be out of his prime by the time the wings are ready to contend. I’m not saying the wings will give him away but for a package better than the Mantha deal? may be tough to turn down

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Reasons to deal him are a) he already went to arbitration last contract and he is now scoring at a PPG so he’s going to want a big pay day and not sure stevie wants to give that to him b) had back surgery a couple seasons ago c) In theory he will be out of his prime by the time the wings are ready to contend. I’m not saying the wings will give him away but for a package better than the Mantha deal? may be tough to turn down
Didn't realize he had back surgery that's never a good thing. He's 26 that's not old but I can see your point of him leaving prime when Wings ready to compete. I suppose if Wings can get a good haul that would be prudent however keeping him wouldn't be the worst thing.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
But why ? He’s one of their best players
Don’t think he’s going to re-sign, not really in our time line for the core, likely looking at a big next contract that won’t age well and I think may have burned some bridges with the vax thing.

If we can get a very good C prospect or a young up and coming player +1st I’m all for it.

Would personally rather keep him but I think most signs point to him wanting/likely to leave soon anyways

Reactions: cowboycoffee

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Bertuzzi doesn't have nearly the same allure as Mantha did.

Doesn't hurt to shop him, but I would bet good money Bertuzzi doesn't receive close to what Mantha brought back if he is traded.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

Doesn't hurt to shop him, but I would bet good money Bertuzzi doesn't receive close to what Mantha brought back if he is traded.

Maybe but he’s a better player. Might be a bit of a pighead though from the sounds of it.

Reactions: Pertti

MVPete96

Nov 12, 2011
Michigan

huh?! Bertuzzi is a ppg player right now and is the type of player every team would love to have. Wings can retain half his salary so a contender could get 2 playoff runs with a point per game player at just over $2 mil a season. you’re nuts if you don’t think that’s worth a lot more than Mantha.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
This is an offseason trade, if at all. With the Canadian uncertainty, it's too big a gamble. But the restrictions should all be gone by the summer, once things have cooled down. That and teams won't have the ability to pay Yzerman the cost for him until the summer.

Reactions: njx9

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
huh?! Bertuzzi is a ppg player right now and is the type of player every team would love to have. Wings can retain half his salary so a contender could get 2 playoff runs with a point per game player at just over $2 mil a season. you’re nuts if you don’t think that’s worth a lot more than Mantha.

Tough to pay a premium for a player who can't cross the border though

Reactions: PlayMakers

MVPete96

Nov 12, 2011
Michigan
This is an offseason trade, if at all. With the Canadian uncertainty, it's too big a gamble. But the restrictions should all be gone by the summer, once things have cooled down. That and teams won't have the ability to pay Yzerman the cost for him until the summer.

could def see it as an off-season trade but then again I wouldn’t have guessed Stevie would move Mantha last TDL so you never know

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
could def see it as an off-season trade but then again I wouldn’t have guessed Stevie would move Mantha last TDL so you never know
If the Canadian restriction wasn't in place, I could definitely see a TDL deal...but until then...no Cup contender can risk him missing potentially half of their playoff games.

Reactions: ManByng and ujju2

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Let me know when Bertuzzi grows 4 inches and gains 40 lbs.

Every team would love to have him, that doesn't mean he's going to return more than Mantha. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment if you think Bertuzzi is going to return more than a young top 6 forward + 1st + 2nd.

Think more in lines of what Miller would bring in, and then subtract a bit given Bertuzzi's vaccination status and shorter track record. Retention is expected in a flat cap world, if a team doesn't retain the trade isn't going to happen.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Depends how much teams think this season is the real Bert or not. He definitely wasn’t this good before Raymond arrived, but maybe he’s one of those players who excels when playing with other high level players

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Depends how much teams think this season is the real Bert or not. He definitely wasn’t this good before Raymond arrived, but maybe he’s one of those players who excels when playing with other high level players

It's completely besides the point though, even if teams think this season Bertuzzi is real, he is still going to return less than Mantha. Players like Bertuzzi are available every year, the same can't be said about Mantha.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
loved this guy for a long time, would love to have him on the ducks but i just dont see them being a good trade partner unless they really like some of the up and comers plus another player....it makes sense for why he would look to move him, and i think stevie Y gets it....its more about the right players AT the right time, then the right players right now.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
It's completely besides the point though, even if teams think this season Bertuzzi is real, he is still going to return less than Mantha. Players like Bertuzzi are available every year, the same can't be said about Mantha.
Huh? PPG players who would be signed for like $2M for two years after retention and play a gritty game are available every year? Yet players who were averaging just at or above 0.5ppg at time of trade with brutal defensive game are super rare?

Going to have to explain that one better

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Let me know when Bertuzzi grows 4 inches and gains 40 lbs.

Every team would love to have him, that doesn't mean he's going to return more than Mantha. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment if you think Bertuzzi is going to return more than a young top 6 forward + 1st + 2nd.

Think more in lines of what Miller would bring in, and then subtract a bit given Bertuzzi's vaccination status and shorter track record. Retention is expected in a flat cap world, if a team doesn't retain the trade isn't going to happen.
I don’t really care what you say about physical attributes couch gm, bertuzzi is a better player than Mantha is and in a 82 game season is on pace for 82 points. If you think he wouldn’t get a haul if he was traded you’re crazy. The only reason yzerman would ever trade him is for a haul

Last edited:

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
It literally says the Red Wings are taking calls on him and he has generated a ton of interest.

Stop spreading misinformation.

no it doesnt

the only time the term “ton of interest” is used is in this sentence.

“There’s a player with another year left on his deal in Tyler Bertuzzi that generated a ton of interest last season ahead of the deadline

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad