Speculation: Wings spare parts at the deadline (Actually, the tank thread)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hanas was ranked 58th by EP (easiest available) and drafted at 55.
Wallinder was ranked 47th by EP (easiest available) and drafted at 32.

Just what were the Wings afraid of missing out with Hanas that they somehow weren't with Wallinder?

As an aside, Niederback was picked in between them at 51 after being ranked 27th.

I had those averages from multiple ranks.

What was constant with every NA pick, Draper was reaching them higher than general average from multiple ranks.

With Europeans, they were picked quite right.

4th avg ranked Raymond - picked 4th overall = -0 position fall
36th avg ranked Wallinder - picked 32nd overall = +4 position reach
59th avg ranked Niederbach - picked 51st overall = +8 position reach
60th avg ranked Viro - picked 70th overall = -10 position fall
86th avg ranked Bednar - picked 107th overall = -21 position fall
---------------------------------------------------------------
European average REACH/FALL = -19 position fall / 5 players = -4 position avg FALL

I had total 218 players listed, 217 players were picked in the whole draft. Stange, Aucoin, and Draper were unranked, I'll give them all 219th avg position.

110th avg ranked Hanas - picked 55th overall = +55 position reach
85th avg ranked Sebrango - picked 63rd overall = +22 position reach
219th avg ranked Sam Stange - picked #93 overall = +126 position reach
103rd avg ranked Alex Cotton - picked 132nd overall = -29 position fall
219th avg ranked Kyle Aucoin - picked 156th overall = +63 position reach
219th avg ranked Kienan Draper - picked 187th overall = +32 position reach
219th avg ranked Chase Bradley - picked 203rd overall = +16 position reach
-----------------------------------------------------------------
North American total REACH/FALL = +343 positions REACH / 7 players = +49 position avg REACH

Alex Cotton was the only NA player, who did fall at ranks and was picked lower than expected of Detroit's NA draftees. All other were reaches.

European drafting lists by Håkan Andersson went pretty much just right and Draper drafting from NA was reaching like mad.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Hanas was ranked 58th by EP (easiest available) and drafted at 55.
Wallinder was ranked 47th by EP (easiest available) and drafted at 32.

Just what were the Wings afraid of missing out with Hanas that they somehow weren't with Wallinder?

As an aside, Niederback was picked in between them at 51 after being ranked 27th.
Hanas' skating. Wallinder is a good skater so I don't have as much issue with it, plus it's hard to bet against Hakan even if he did strike out on a few picks. But I said second pick, not second round pick either way.

Edit: I guess Hennka corrected me, I should have said NA picks, lol.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
The reality is they need to move Larkin and Bertuzzi and keep rebuilding. They aren't even close to being a consistent contender, and Boston, Florida, Tampa and Toronto are going to be good for another 3-5 years at minimum. The Red Wings need superstars. They don't have any currently.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
The reality is they need to move Larkin and Bertuzzi and keep rebuilding. They aren't even close to being a consistent contender, and Boston, Florida, Tampa and Toronto are going to be good for another 3-5 years at minimum. The Red Wings need superstars. They don't have any currently.
So after trading away Larkin and Bertuzzi, how do they go about acquiring those superstars?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
So after trading away Larkin and Bertuzzi, how do they go about acquiring those superstars?
Drafting. It's the only way to get superstars. Look at the teams that are consistent contenders every year. They have superstars.

And who will they play with if we sell off everything?

Taro Hirose and whoever else is in Grand Rapids.

Reactions: Michael Brand Eggs

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Drafting. It's the only way to get superstars. Look at the teams that are consistent contenders every year. They have superstars.

Taro Hirose and whoever else is in Grand Rapids.
Right. so tank. hope you get number 1 overall. hope it's a generational player. rinse. repeat.

That's a fantasy, not a plan.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Then in a few years because we still suck it's time to trade the drafted guys and start over again
This year's team is arguably the best Red Wings team since 2016, nearly seven years ago. They won't even sniff the playoffs. Their best hope short term is a wildcard spot with the current playoff format and division alignment. I don't see how the roster as it is currently constructed takes another major step in the long term.
Right. so tank. hope you get number 1 overall. hope it's a generational player. rinse. repeat.

That's a fantasy, not a plan.
Ok, how else are they getting superstars? Hope to get a late round gem? That's actual fantasy.

Reactions: Michael Brand Eggs

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
This year's team is arguably the best Red Wings team since 2016, nearly seven years ago. They won't even sniff the playoffs. Their best hope short term is a wildcard spot with the current playoff format and division alignment. I don't see how the roster as it is currently constructed takes another major step in the long term.

Ok, how else are they getting superstars? Hope to get a late round gem? That's actual fantasy.

So how many seasons do you think they'll have to tank until they land a superstar?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
So how many seasons do you think they'll have to tank until they land a superstar?
Well, there's a generational superstar available at this year's draft, but management felt this was the year to bring in free agents and win meaningless games in the spring. Could have been just one more year. But who knows now. Chicago is going to win three cups and rebuild back to contender status before Detroit. How sad is that?

This isn't this roster's final form. It's a transitional phase where some of the core pieces get some structure and we wait for other core pieces to integrate.

Our #2C and #2D haven't hit the roster yet, but they're close.
They need superstars. Kasper and Edvinsson aren't superstars.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
This isn't this roster's final form. It's a transitional phase where some of the core pieces get some structure and we wait for other core pieces to integrate.

Our #2C and #2D haven't hit the roster yet, but they're close.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Well, there's a generational superstar available at this year's draft, but management felt this was the year to bring in free agents and win meaningless games in the spring. Could have been just one more year. But who knows now. Chicago is going to win three cups and rebuild back to contender status before Detroit. How sad is that?
yes there's a player that looks like he could be generational available in the draft this year, which is why there's all these fantasies about how tanking until we get a superstar is the best option.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
And what in this franchise's history leads you to believe we win a lottery?

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Real quick, anyone got a recent example of a team that totally bottomed out and had a quick rebuild?

Sure a playoff run would of been nice this year, but things haven't fallen into place for that to happen. In fact I am surprised at how much this team has won this year with what has happened.

Patience right now sucks, but sadly it is still needed.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
yes there's a player that looks like he could be generational available in the draft this year, which is why there's all these fantasies about how tanking until we get a superstar is the best option.
There's no other option. If you don't draft superstars, you don't get them. Tanking and acquiring picks gives you the best odds at getting them. In reality, you really need at least two superstars. Red Wings have none, currently.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Real quick, anyone got a recent example of a team that totally bottomed out and had a quick rebuild?

Sure a playoff run would of been nice this year, but things haven't fallen into place for that to happen. In fact I am surprised at how much this team has won this year with what has happened.

Patience right now sucks, but sadly it is still needed.
Rangers?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad