Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
winegard, greenwell, martin, zhugin cannot come back if they are to be considered legit playoff teams. they cannot rely on other teams cuts again. no more special struthers/mizzi types 'because they could be great'.

you pretty much looking at

Greentree
Abraham
Davis
Spellacy
Morneau
Nesbitt
Outwater
lemieux
belchetz
garden
import

oa
import
Cristoforo
Woodall
Walton
Manzo
Lavigne

Costanzo
Froggett

you need to find 2 d, not overy expensive, and 2 f, not overly expensive, to raise the bar and push. you cant have cristo being a 1D, hes not that. they have a ton of d right now that top out as a 4/5 playing too far up the lineup.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

Bourne

Nov 24, 2022
What's the rule after the trade deadline? I know you can have as many 16 year olds as you want when traded for during the 1st round pick trade window but does that also include 16 year olds already in your system? Would Windsor be allowed to have all 6 picks this season (and possibly more) on the roster after the trade deadline?

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
What's the rule after the trade deadline? I know you can have as many 16 year olds as you want when traded for during the 1st round pick trade window but does that also include 16 year olds already in your system? Would Windsor be allowed to have all 6 picks this season (and possibly more) on the roster after the trade deadline?
4 on a cards all year, you can have callups on b cards, limited to 10 games, as often as you want. you can put all your picks on a b card if you want, just cant play them.

if you trade for someone elses 16 year old, on their card, you can play them in addition to your 4.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
its what comes from being in the rinks to be honest, dont take that as a shot please not mean to be, just more honest dialog is all.
I agree, it’s something I hope to improve on in subsequent seasons. I’m not ignorant to that fact, and unlike others I have seen online it’s not something I’m embarrassed to admit.

Reactions: Savard18

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I agree, it’s something I hope to improve on in subsequent seasons. I’m not ignorant to that fact, and unlike others I have seen online it’s not something I’m embarrassed to admit.
ya, i think some are too lazy and shy to get out into rinks and perfer to hide online. its bizarre to me, good on you for trying to get out and learn.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I find the scouting report of ups and downs with Little Caesars and not even being invited to the NTDP selection camp kind of at odds with “sure fire OHL 1st rounder”. Either way, it seems obvious he’s a 1st-2nd-3rd round type talent. Which means playing U17 in the states is probably not in his best interest. Most of the US talent his age will be gone to NTDP/USHL/OHL/NAHL. Windbiel? Maybe. Being a goalie things are a little different but if he’s as good as advertised he ain’t gonna be playing U17 I wouldn’t think and a USHL team isn’t gonna give him a spot knowing he’s likely headed off to Windsor. I think it’s highly likely those are your other two 16yo’s next year if they can’t play in the OJHL/GOJHL. OHL4Life will correct me if I’m wrong I’m sure.
In regards to Garden not being invited to the NTDP Evaluation Camp, I found that USA Hockey underrated the Michigan talent pool quite a bit, as I believe Garden, Dominic Pajkic (Michigander who was at Shattuck St Mary's) and Jacob Monks (Little Caesars) were all good enough to at least get an invite; all somehow left off. Tyler Martyniuk (Honeybaked) was the only Michigander invited and who made the NTDP.

USA Hockey has a tougher camp roster to come up with now as the talent pool here in the States has gotten deeper and better. There's also the chance they leave certain guys off the Evaluation Camp Roster if they think they're leaning towards the CHL.

Last edited:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
In regards to Garden not being invited to the NTDP Evaluation Camp, I found that USA Hockey underrated the Michigan talent pool quite a bit, as I believe Garden, Dominic Pajkic (Michigander who was at Shattuck St Mary's) and Jacob Monks (Little Caesar's) were all good enough to at least get an invite; all somehow left off. Tyler Martyniuk (Honeybaked) was the only Michigander invited and who made the NTDP.

USA Hockey has a tougher camp roster to come up with now as the talent pool here in the States has gotten deeper and better. There's also the chance they leave certain guys off the Evaluation Camp Roster if they think they're leaning towards the CHL.
i saw Pajkic playing up a year and figured he would have been a shoe in, surprsied he didnt get a sniff

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Rule is dress only 3 16 yr olds per game. If you acquire someone else's 1st round only 16 yr old after the Christmas break trade window you can then dress 3 of yours plus the trade acquisition.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Rule is dress only 3 16 yr olds per game. If you acquire someone else's 1st round only 16 yr old after the Christmas break trade window you can then dress 3 of yours plus the trade acquisition.
It looks like whoever we get as our new coach will need to hire a professional juggler as part of his entourage. That being said, it’s a great problem to have.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I have not been able to find the limit of 16 yr olds per team per game, just an OHL cap of 80 registered plus affiliates.
In Niagara games played by ‘registered’ true rookies were Roobroek (63), Czata (62), Frolov (67), Galiyanov (60). If I counted correctly, 7-2007 born played in the final game of the season vs the wolves.

Last edited:

the dog

May 16, 2014
I have not been able to find the limit of 16 yr olds per team per game, just an OHL cap of 80 registered plus affiliates.
In Niagara games played by ‘registered’ true rookies were Roobroek (63), Czata (62), Frolov (67), Galiyanov (60). If I counted correctly, 7-2007 born played in the final game

In Niagara games played by ‘registered’ true rookies were Roobroek (63), Czata (62), Frolov (67), Galiyanov (60). If I counted correctly, 7-2007 born played in the final game of the season vs the wolves.

16 years old can get called up affiliated player for maximum 10 games when such players team has been eliminated from competition for that season. So yes their were 7 16 years old in that game.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
16 years old can get called up affiliated player for maximum 10 games when such players team has been eliminated from competition for that season. So yes their were 7 16 years old in that game.
And sometimes more because of emergency call-ups, at least a couple of IceDogs affiliates played >10 games.
It was stated here a few times only 3-16 yr olds could play in a game, so I looked for a limit that I could not find. The restrictions were up to the first two picks plus any two others per team for an (OHL cap of 80 can be registered), and rules regarding playing affiliates. I suppose the cap is the important number which accounts for signing other team’s defects and January trades.

Last edited:
Reactions: punch1943

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
And sometimes more because of emergency call-ups, at least a couple of IceDogs affiliates played >10 games.
It was stated here a few times only 3-16 yr olds could play in a game, so I looked for a limit that I could not find. The restrictions were up to the first two picks plus any two others per team for an (OHL cap of 80 can be registered), and rules regarding playing affiliates. I suppose the cap is the important number which accounts for signing other team’s defects and January trades.
I agree Dirty12. I could not find it in writing anywhere where no more than 3 16 yr olds could dress. I read that on another blog and as we know, people make up their own rules lol. Hockey Canada governs the roster rules even over the CHL. A few points I did confirm. The CJHL considers US players imports and cannot play under 18 unless their full time guardian lives in Canada. The rules allow max 2 signed players to Junior B as affiliates. 1 Junior C affiliate player is allowed only if the player signed is "LOCAL" and there is no available local major midget or is not capable of playing on a major midget team. That basically leaves Bowler with no further signings until a drafted player turns 17 . Interesting Robinson and Drake Gram both turn 17 Jan 8th and Jan 16th. Humm. Spicer is not 17 until July 2025 so that would be next off season. Windbiel and Garden will be on the roster for sure. Hockey Canada also states 16 yr goalies must play minimum of 20% of the games and 16 yr players must play at least 3 shifts per period when 5 on 5 is available. The second rule is never really enforced from what I read though.

Reactions: punch1943

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I agree Dirty12. I could not find it in writing anywhere where no more than 3 16 yr olds could dress. I read that on another blog and as we know, people make up their own rules lol. Hockey Canada governs the roster rules even over the CHL. A few points I did confirm. The CJHL considers US players imports and cannot play under 18 unless their full time guardian lives in Canada. The rules allow max 2 signed players to Junior B as affiliates. 1 Junior C affiliate player is allowed only if the player signed is "LOCAL" and there is no available local major midget or is not capable of playing on a major midget team. That basically leaves Bowler with no further signings until a drafted player turns 17 . Interesting Robinson and Drake Gram both turn 17 Jan 8th and Jan 16th. Humm. Spicer is not 17 until July 2025 so that would be next off season. Windbiel and Garden will be on the roster for sure. Hockey Canada also states 16 yr goalies must play minimum of 20% of the games and 16 yr players must play at least 3 shifts per period when 5 on 5 is available. The second rule is never really enforced from what I read though.
That’s a big commitment for a 16 yr old goalie. It helps explain why so few are kept all season.

Reactions: Cherrydon

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Greentree will be gone in the first, Spellacy will be taken in the second, I expect Davis to be selected around the 5th round and maybe someone throws a pick at Cristoforo, although I doubt it.
Absolutely agree. Spellacy a bit surprising for the 2nd round but at the end of the day, you can teach hockey but cannot teach natural gifted athleticism which he has big time.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Greentree will be gone in the first, Spellacy will be taken in the second, I expect Davis to be selected around the 5th round and maybe someone throws a pick at Cristoforo, although I doubt it.
Christoforo has the offence down- just needs to work on defence. 100% he gets selected, just a matter of who and where.

If he was a 5’8 140 lb guy with only 15 points on the year and horrible defensively that would be different. He’s 5’11, 181 so decent size and just put up 38 points on a garbage Windsor team. He will be in the league a few more years and in those years his defence will improve lots.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Christoforo has the offence down- just needs to work on defence. 100% he gets selected, just a matter of who and where.

If he was a 5’8 140 lb guy with only 15 points on the year and horrible defensively that would be different. He’s 5’11, 181 so decent size and just put up 38 points on a garbage Windsor team. He will be in the league a few more years and in those years his defence will improve lots.
I don't want to reallly get into the Cristoforo debate, but his offensive numbers being highlighted as the teams #1: D this year was 26th in points but 36th in goals. Big factor is he was also 3rd worst plus/minus in the league. I agree that I will be surprised if he is taken in the draft. Went from a A prospect to a D? E? He is undersized and way too soft to date to be an NHL D. 7 goals last season. 13 career goals in 134 games career does not turn heads when you add in defensive liability.

Reactions: oldPeng

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

His game just isn’t translatable to the NHL, unfortunately. If he had continued to show the defensive promise he had in his first year, he would be selected for sure. But when given more responsibility he floundered.

Not every player is cut out to be an NHLer - He’ll still be a fantastic OHL player the next 2/3 years.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
His game just isn’t translatable to the NHL, unfortunately. If he had continued to show the defensive promise he had in his first year, he would be selected for sure. But when given more responsibility he floundered.

Not every player is cut out to be an NHLer - He’ll still be a fantastic OHL player the next 2/3 years.
Absolutely 💯 this is why you are a scout.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
We all know that he was taken 1st by the Spits in 2022 and 3 drafted behind him have developed quicker and have passed him in the nhl draft rankings. That is junior hockey and why it is fun to watch kids developing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad