Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Need a great coaching staff to round it out..
Absolutely

I would not be surprised if Garden plays for Little Caesar's this season. The Spits could call him up when needed. He stays at home and periodically practices with the Spits.

His choices were sign with the Spits, sign with Youngstown or not sign.
So US born players are not automatically guaranteed a roster spot then as many suggest?

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Absolutely

So US born players are not automatically guaranteed a roster spot then as many suggest?
Wouldn't go that far,think it depends on the player drafted and I am sure in some cases promises are made,other times not.
Interesting Windsor had 4 players drafted by teams from the USHL,in order Garden,Gram,Brocklehurst and Robinson,1st 2 Americans,and one that surprisingly wasn't goalie Windbiel and the Spits have signed 3 of them with dmen Gram and Robinson not signed for anybody yet.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
So this looks very promising. Cautiously optimistic. Ill ask, can any of these guys be trade bait if we dont have room for them all? Just not sure anymore what language the rules are in lol.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
It was mentioned before that Windbiel could go back to Chicago to play until he's ready for Windsor. In that situation, Garden would likely be in the same boat?
I find the scouting report of ups and downs with Little Caesars and not even being invited to the NTDP selection camp kind of at odds with “sure fire OHL 1st rounder”. Either way, it seems obvious he’s a 1st-2nd-3rd round type talent. Which means playing U17 in the states is probably not in his best interest. Most of the US talent his age will be gone to NTDP/USHL/OHL/NAHL. Windbiel? Maybe. Being a goalie things are a little different but if he’s as good as advertised he ain’t gonna be playing U17 I wouldn’t think and a USHL team isn’t gonna give him a spot knowing he’s likely headed off to Windsor. I think it’s highly likely those are your other two 16yo’s next year if they can’t play in the OJHL/GOJHL. OHL4Life will correct me if I’m wrong I’m sure.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
So this looks very promising. Cautiously optimistic. Ill ask, can any of these guys be trade bait if we dont have room for them all? Just not sure anymore what language the rules are in lol.

Trade bait this coming season or 2025-26?
I think it’s highly likely those are your other two 16yo’s next year if they can’t play in the OJHL/GOJHL.

My thinking for a bit now has been... Belchetz and Lemieux will stick along with Garden and Windbiel. You can put Hicks, Brocklehurst, and whoever else in Jr B for plenty of ice time

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I would not be surprised if Garden plays for Little Caesar's this season. The Spits could call him up when needed. He stays at home and periodically practices with the Spits.

His choices were sign with the Spits, sign with Youngstown or not sign.
Exciting, one way or another

Reactions: OHL 17

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Does anyone know if when the 16 year old goalie is a backup, does that allow Windsor to dress an extra 16 year old in the game(s) he isn’t starting?

As of now, I think everyone can agree Brocklehurst needs a year with Lemington, so that leaves 2 roster spots for Windbiel, Hicks and Garden. With how touted Garden was, and given the guarantees Windsor likely had to give to get Garden, I think it’s safe to assume he has the inside track on one of the spots.

Also, the 4 16 year old rule is dumb.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Does anyone know if when the 16 year old goalie is a backup, does that allow Windsor to dress an extra 16 year old in the game(s) he isn’t starting?

As of now, I think everyone can agree Brocklehurst needs a year with Lemington, so that leaves 2 roster spots for Windbiel, Hicks and Garden. With how touted Garden was, and given the guarantees Windsor likely had to give to get Garden, I think it’s safe to assume he has the inside track on one of the spots.

Also, the 4 16 year old rule is dumb.
A couple of things,it would be La Salle Vipers not Leamington Flyers that Brocklehurst would be assigned to.
As for the rule re 16 year olds Windsor can only dress 4 maximum regardless of position, though in the goalies position it's 10 games played not dressed so technically he could dress for 30 or 40 but play say 9,we will what happens here moving forward.
I see Belchetz, Lemieux and Garden as certainties and the other 3 will battle for the 4th spot with Hicks having the inside track,though I think all 6 will play games this coming season.
It will be interesting how things unfold.

Reactions: OHL 17

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
Dude. NOBODY has pulled off a disappearing act as impressive as the one you have pulled off since the 22/23 playoffs. Jimmy Hoffa’s killers were even jealous.
Why would I come on here during a season the team was tanking? The negativity towards Bowler is crushing when they are advancing to the league finals, so during a tank I knew it would be insufferable. You're right, I made a conscious decision not to care about HF Windsor last year, I'm not sure how that's a burn. There's a difference between hiding from accountability and having better things to do than read doom fantasies.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
It was mentioned before that Windbiel could go back to Chicago to play until he's ready for Windsor. In that situation, Garden would likely be in the same boat?
no, garden isn't as high end as the online scouts say but hes still very good and aready better then alot of the filler on the roster. he can play and be fine.

Reactions: OHLTG

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I find the scouting report of ups and downs with Little Caesars and not even being invited to the NTDP selection camp kind of at odds with “sure fire OHL 1st rounder”. Either way, it seems obvious he’s a 1st-2nd-3rd round type talent. Which means playing U17 in the states is probably not in his best interest. Most of the US talent his age will be gone to NTDP/USHL/OHL/NAHL. Windbiel? Maybe. Being a goalie things are a little different but if he’s as good as advertised he ain’t gonna be playing U17 I wouldn’t think and a USHL team isn’t gonna give him a spot knowing he’s likely headed off to Windsor. I think it’s highly likely those are your other two 16yo’s next year if they can’t play in the OJHL/GOJHL. OHL4Life will correct me if I’m wrong I’m sure.
thats why there should be some caution on garden, hes not a top sure fire pick like others are, he was not invited to the us-ntdp for whatever reason. but hes still going to be a very good ohl player, just lets calm down (not you) on calling him a stud just yet.

windbiel i saw at silverstick, i think he would be best served playing u16 in chicago vs the ohl but to each their own. the team doesnt have good enough defensive structure and personnel to support a rookie 16 year old goalie.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
The only one that can be traded this season is Belchetz. That is very unlikely. The others can be traded next season, but they will all have a NTC while they are in high school.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Absolutely

Windbeil and Garden can both play in a lower league in the US but not in Ontario. Yes weird rule that would be nice to be able to actually read it somewhere.
My reasoning to why Windbiel will be on the Spits next year was because he had other options. The only way he would likely sign here is he was given some promises. That is why I believe he will be on the Spits this year. Garden is a different story. Not seeing his spot guaranteed, he will have to make the team.

Either way all 6 signed 08's will see game time this year I'm sure.

Reactions: OHLTG

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
Why would Garden and Windbiel sign, and restrict their options and then not play in the OHL this season. If the plan was to plau U17 in the US they would keep their options open rather than signing. Am I looking at this wrong?

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
no, garden isn't as high end as the online scouts say but hes still very good and aready better then alot of the filler on the roster. he can play and be fine.
I agree I may be a little high on Garden compared to others, but I want to know your opinion - if he was an American kid that was willing to come to any team on draft day, where would you have pulled for your team to select him?

I think he is more skilled offensively than Hedrick for example, who is similarly sized but maybe more committed to a two-way game and a better motor. So that’s why I think he would have been in consideration for a first round selection. What’re your thoughts?

He may not end up being a pro prospect unless he see’s significant growth, but he’ll have a great OHL career in my opinion.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Why would Garden and Windbiel sign, and restrict their options and then not play in the OHL this season. If the plan was to plau U17 in the US they would keep their options open rather than signing. Am I looking at this wrong?
Maybe they’re hoping by the end of their OHL careers if they don’t make the NHL, there will be changes to the CHL/NCAA agreement and they’ll be allowed to play?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I agree I may be a little high on Garden compared to others, but I want to know your opinion - if he was an American kid that was willing to come to any team on draft day, where would you have pulled for your team to select him?

I think he is more skilled offensively than Hedrick for example, who is similarly sized but maybe more committed to a two-way game and a better motor. So that’s why I think he would have been in consideration for a first round selection. What’re your thoughts?

He may not end up being a pro prospect unless he see’s significant growth, but he’ll have a great OHL career in my opinion.
headrick was drafted that high because all of his brothers are 6ft tall. they are rolling the dice on him getting to that height, its no doubt the same thing as sennecke who was 5'8 in his draft year but everyone knew he would grow, same as marner in that sense.

i dont think there is that same feeling with garden, so im not sure the comparison is that fair. and, to be honest, headrick' motor is incredible, not sure garden has that either.

i viewed garden as a 3/4th round pick vs the top 5/10 guy that he may have been in the beginning of the year.

because they get 100 guarantee on schooling locked in the minute they play an exhibition game vs going the school route and still having questions. garden will play day one, hes way better then martin, who doesnt do anything. windbiel needs to be careful, hes good and one of the better options in the draft, but hes not walking onto the london knights, hes going to windsor and may be thrown to the wolves.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
headrick was drafted that high because all of his brothers are 6ft tall. they are rolling the dice on him getting to that height, its no doubt the same thing as sennecke who was 5'8 in his draft year but everyone knew he would grow, same as marner in that sense.

i dont think there is that same feeling with garden, so im not sure the comparison is that fair. and, to be honest, headrick' motor is incredible, not sure garden has that either.

i viewed garden as a 3/4th round pick vs the top 5/10 guy that he may have been in the beginning of the year.

because they get 100 guarantee on schooling locked in the minute they play an exhibition game vs going the school route and still having questions. garden will play day one, hes way better then martin, who doesnt do anything. windbiel needs to be careful, hes good and one of the better options in the draft, but hes not walking onto the london knights, hes going to windsor and may be thrown to the wolves.
I appreciate the response - information like that about Hedrick’s brothers are what differentiates a scout like yourself vs myself.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
I believe that they will be credited with a year of service toward their education package even if they are not rostered. The USHL does not have an education package.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I appreciate the response - information like that about Hedrick’s brothers are what differentiates a scout like yourself vs myself.
its what comes from being in the rinks to be honest, dont take that as a shot please not mean to be, just more honest dialog is all.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Windbeil and Garden can both play in a lower league in the US but not in Ontario. Yes weird rule that would be nice to be able to actually read it somewhere.
My reasoning to why Windbiel will be on the Spits next year was because he had other options. The only way he would likely sign here is he was given some promises. That is why I believe he will be on the Spits this year. Garden is a different story. Not seeing his spot guaranteed, he will have to make the team.

Either way all 6 signed 08's will see game time this year I'm sure.
The Spits don't have many other forwards ready to crack the lineup. They're actually losing a lot up front or stand to.

Smith-Won't be back most likely or at the very least they aren't keeping 3 OA forwards
Struthers-Gone
Zhugin-Gone
Greenwell-He played 41 games
Martin-undisciplined, already 19 and just had 6 goals

That's 4 forwards that were pretty much regulars. Belchetz, Outwater will probably get a chance but time isn't really on his side either. There's plenty of room for Garden if we are being honest.

Reactions: Section 103
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad